Macworld Forums: New Web Site - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Web Site

#1 User is offline   cyborgsam 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

I'm sorry to be brutal, but your new web site is a major step backwards in usability and functionality: it really sucks.

I don't want to search for everything, you used to have the site organized where people could easily find things from menus. I tried to find printer reviews today, I got a multiple page list of reviews and the page hung Safari...

I know Apple is pushing the iOS style of file organization, that doesn't make it the right thing to do. Apple isn't always right, every Mountain Lion user I support has been having way too much trouble organizing their work and finding things. Most of my users are staying on Snow Leopard because Mountain Lion is such a miserable experience. Everyone I've shown iOS 7 to says it is a major step backwards in functionality, although it looks great.

I'm saddened to see Macworld jump on this trendy bandwagon of designing web sites which prioritize eye-candy ahead of functionality. I don't visit your site for entertainment, I visit it for information, and you've made it much harder to access that information.

Your magazine has been following this trend, but it is still readable. If it also changes for the worse I will stop subscribing. I've been subscribing since the 80s, and I have a copy of issue #1.

#2 User is offline   TeaEarleGreyHot 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

View Postcyborgsam, on 02 August 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

Your magazine has been following this trend, but it is still readable. If it also changes for the worse I will stop subscribing. I've been subscribing since the 80s, and I have a copy of issue #1.

That's an amusing comment. After many years of web-only for Macworld, I received a half year subscription to the print version as compenstion for their canceling the paid/supporter status on the website. I found I rather liked the print version, and reading it on the porcelain throne was quite enjoyable. Amazing how thin the pages were--almost tissue-thin. But quite legible and nicely laid-out. Unlike the website. This carrot and stick situation is almost enough to make me continue the print subscription!

This post has been edited by TeaEarleGreyHot: 04 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users