Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: One device to rule them all? Microsoft and Apple face off - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

One device to rule them all? Microsoft and Apple face off

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:13 AM

Post your comments for One device to rule them all? Microsoft and Apple face off here

#2 User is offline   nickovtime59 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:02 AM

I have both and iPad (3rd gen) and the Surface RT, I like and use the iPad way more. The Surface is so limited as to what it can do with apps, where the iPad has an app for everything. The touchscreen on the ipad is far more advanced than the surface. I used my iPad to type notes into Pages for a 3 day conference and had no problems. I can type just as fast on the ipad's touch keyboard than on a computer, but the touch keyboard on the Surface is cumbersome and the snap on keyboard is just okay. The surface is a good product and I would recommend it for a "cheap" laptop solution, but compared the the iPad.... there is no comparison. I disagree that people want one device. People want a solid home solution and mobility to be separate. The better product can sync your content between the two.

#3 User is offline   johnnytucats 

• Pip

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:24 AM

Funny article!

#4 User is offline   Edge35 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:29 AM

Couldn't agree more even if the Macalope himself had written the article

#5 User is offline   prl99 

• Pip

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:36 AM

"The right tools for the job"

This says it all. I used to buy cheap tools only to have them break after a couple uses. I now save my money and buy something that will last and do the job it was intended to do. It's the same with computing devices. I have another saying that also works--

Jack of all trades, master of none!

This is what Microsoft is still trying to be and in most cases, fits my saying. This is also why corporations and the government buy lots of PCs running Microsoft software. They buy cheap because they budget year to year and hope they can get one product that does everything somewhat well. As we all know, you get what you pay for.

#6 User is offline   bobreen 

• Pip

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:21 AM

Good article. I am a director of a Montessori preschool and elementary school. Our teachers each have an iPad that has replaced their classroom computers. They find the iPad much more easier to use including the creating of newsletter, emails, and letters. The iPad has replaced the desktop and laptop in many classrooms. The teachers use -Apple iWorks: Pages for workprocessing, Numbers for spreadsheets and Keynote for presentations. They are all much easier to use than Microsoft Office. They even create their monthly class newsletters on their iPads. The iPad is compete solution for us in the classroom.

#7 User is offline   Jaligard 

• Pip

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:48 AM

Microsoft has always figured out the tablet wrong, but right now they're just playing the hand they've been dealt. Tablets are the way of the future. They're so far behind they have to try to leverage their desktop dominance.

The strategy looks entirely like someone forced into a corner.

The Surface Pro runs all Windows apps: hey, we have lots of apps, too!

To take advantage of the Windows 8 interface, developers will need to write apps that work on the Surface RT.

The pieces are all there, you know, except for the compelling reason for anyone to care.

#8 User is offline   jasper22 

• Pip

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

I also agree 100%. A houseboat is neither a good house or a good boat. Also those one size fits all baseball caps are cheap and no team buys those. I like having specialized devices. I has a floor model PC connected to a 55 inch HDTV through HDMI running Windows 7. My tablet and cell phone are both Android. I tried the Android set top box and realized that Windows 7 is better suited for a large screen. Windows 8 is a cell phone UI and it looks absolutely ridiculous on a large screen. On my TV those tiles are two feet in length. Ridiculous.

#9 User is offline   BStur1 

• PipPip

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

I believe that the major problem with Microsoft's products, is that they design them for well-to-do techno-weenie nerds like themselves. I doubt if they do any focus groups or usability studies, because they can't believe that anyone would want anything different than what they can conceive.

This arrogance even pertains to their marketing, e.g. those break-dancing commercials clicking the keyboard to the Surface. Those showed no compelling reason to buy the product, just kind of cool break-dancing (and break-dancing is so last millenium).

One can just imagine the Microsofties sitting in the boardroom, saying "hey that's a cool commercial" even though they show nobody using the product, nor any useful attributes of the - what is it they were advertising?

#10 User is offline   Harveyabfo 

• Pip

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

"I have four devices because each is simply better suited to a different use case."

Exactly!

This applies to other products too. For example, we may have a 60" HDTV in our living room, but a 30" HDTV in the bedroom (because it's better suited there), and we may watch TV on our iPads when we travel.

Trying to use one TV type and size for all situations would not be practical!

#11 User is offline   Localboy 

• PipPip

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

I'm kind of surprised Steve Ballmer continues as CEO at Microsoft.

#12 User is offline   kyronnex 

• Pip

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:12 PM

My father in law has an Ipad and somebody sends him an email link to a downloadable mp3 situated on somebody else's google drive.

It is a legal mp3 by the way. It is a recording of a spiritual group discussion he had with some folks (that you cannot buy on iTunes if you want me to be that clear).

In a PC, I can right click and save the mp3 to my desktop and add it to my itunes library (which is still an awesome program by the way).

In an iPad, I can't execute a simple dumbass task like this because Apple didn't plan for this feature .... I need a google drive app + sharing of the mp3 by the sender ... or i'll need some other useless app like Airsharing or Dropbox or Good Reader ... some of which need a payment .... or I could jail break it? .... Come on people?

.... similar story with iPhone 3GS and how it would not allow background apps like GPS tracking .... and how it would not work with Find My Iphone unless you paid 70$ Apple mobile me ... but that is fine, it is Apple's product .... but WAIT for it, if you buy a IPhone 4, you can get a free iCloud account which enables you to install Find My Iphone on any 3GS ... so basically 3GS is fully capable but intentionally locked down ... had to jail break it eventually to run a background GPS program ...

I don't need a garden of eden sandbox ..... I need to the effing computing device (iphone, ipad .... ) to do what I tell it do. There are a gazillion ways to make my PC do exactly what I want it to do.

A few reasons my current iPhone 4 will be my 2nd and last Apple paid product. I guess I will have to tolerate iTunes for some more time, haven't spent any time looking for alternatives. Ofcourse, I've long since stopped purchasing songs on iTunes Store.

#13 User is offline   johnwerneken 

• Pip

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

Good piece.

May I add, there is also the "it just works" vs. "walled garden" split. Apple still hosts a lot of third part stuff on OS 10, but not to my knowledge with iOS. Same with Google and Android. Microsoft of course is attempting the same with Windows RT, but one is not stuck with their vetted applications with the x86 versions of Windows 8 or Windows 8.1.

I think most objectives of computer security are doomed. Perhaps a device with certain settings and software might access one's bank securely, but only if that is all it did and that very briefly indeed. So I discount the security aspects of ap vetting. And there are actual examples from the various major ap stores to prove it: fully vetted malware.

#14 User is offline   vulpine 

• PipPip

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

"Microsoft believes that people don’t really want separate devices, they want just one."

That's because Microsoft listens to the wrong people. They listen to the anti-Apple zealots who think that anything Apple does is wrong. Meanwhile, Microsoft's greatest products go ignored because almost nobody wants them.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users