Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Mac Gems: iClouDrive puts iCloud storage within a folder's reach - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mac Gems: iClouDrive puts iCloud storage within a folder's reach

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:50 AM

Post your comments for Mac Gems: iClouDrive puts iCloud storage within a folder's reach here

#2 User is offline   irene 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:15 AM

Does it work with iOS devices? The description implies that it does not.

#3 User is offline   Swift2 

• PipPip

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

I think not. If you think about how iOS shares files on iCloud, it's in apps only. My copy of Pages shows me my files on iCloud, which my copy on the Mac has created. If they don't have an app on the iPhone or iPad, and Apple might have problems with that, then you can't share a random file on iOS.

#4 User is offline   cebrough 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:09 AM

You can just do this on your own in about 3 minutes by finding this folder, making an alias, and then finding a nice iCloud jpeg online for the folder on each of your computers.

#5 User is offline   dfs 

• PipPip

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

iCloud Drive works in tandem with the developer's other creation, MacDropAny, which creates symbolic links to (see the MW review at http://www.macworld....macdropany.html). Taken together, they're a more powerful package than this review indicates. Yes, one drawback of this system is that iOS devices don't get to play. Another is that stuff stored this way is inaccessible from Apple's iCloud web page. Nevertheless, I've been using this developer's tools for months, they've never given me a moment's trouble and I'm grateful for this means of offsite backup of my critical files.

#6 User is offline   dfs 

• PipPip

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:22 AM

When I say this doesn't work with iOS devices, I should qualify that. I understand there are utilities out there which allow you to inspect and access the contents of your portable device in a "behind the scenes" kind of way. I've never played around with one of these, but it might not be out of the question that some such device would allow you to access your iCloud Drive-stored data.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users