Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Apple acquires Embark, another public-transit app developer - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple acquires Embark, another public-transit app developer

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:02 PM

Post your comments for Apple acquires Embark, another public-transit app developer here

#2 User is offline   hrasdahh 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

Here is more on how much Apple paid for Embark, a estimated $35 million dollars. Source: http://www.amongtech...aps-app-embark/

#3 User is offline   tln1ltj2 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

If Apple buys all the mobile mapping apps and forces their removal from the Google Play store, then Android users won't be able to demonstrate that Android apps are better. Spend money to make the competition go away. I hope not, but rather than they are spending the money to provide a good app.

#4 User is offline   kboone34 

• PipPip

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

This is a really great app. I just returned from NY. I usually use "HopStop" (now owned by Apple) and "NextStop". A friend recommended "Embark" so I gave it a try. Worked 100% great interface quick and easy to use.

This was a good decision by Apple. With this acquisition and "HopStop" I love the direction they are going in, I can't wait to see the implementation of these apps and the other mapping ideas they are working. You can only conclude that Cook is really going to make up for the mess that was made of the first attempt. I do however have to say that "Maps" has improved greatly and I use it most of the time.

#5 User is offline   Martian 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:48 AM

For navigation by car, Apple has been closing the content and accuracy gap with Google, though there is more to be done. And Apple's interface is far superior to the point that I now generally prefer it over Google's.

But three Google advantages over Apple maps are:
  • Google's multiple level traffic flow display is more informative. Apple could fix this if they wanted to.
  • Google's search within the map function is superior — but "search" is the Google organization's core service.
  • Google's street level view can be invaluable at times. Neither Apple nor anyone else is likely to be able to duplicate this massive database.

#6 User is offline   Gnostradamus 

• Pip

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:47 AM

Apple killed hopstop on android and and it seems to have killed Embark as a New Year's gift. This is why I'll never buy Apple products, ever.

#7 User is offline   Martyo123 

• Pip

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

Apple=communism

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users