Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Hands-on: iWork for iCloud beta almost as good as Mac, iOS versions - Macworld Forums

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hands-on: iWork for iCloud beta almost as good as Mac, iOS versions

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:30 AM

Post your comments for Hands-on: iWork for iCloud beta almost as good as Mac, iOS versions here

#2 User is offline   gk_brown 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:10 AM

I still don't understand the motivation behind providing a web version of these apps. Presumably, I already have them installed on my Mac or iPad - why would I want to pay for yet another version that requires me to use a web browser to get to it?

#3 User is offline   rdlink 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:53 AM

gk_brown said:

I still don't understand the motivation behind providing a web version of these apps. Presumably, I already have them installed on my Mac or iPad - why would I want to pay for yet another version that requires me to use a web browser to get to it?

Well, first of all you don't have to pay for iCloud apps. It appears that they'll be free. Second, what if you are away from home, without any of your devices and need to create or edit a document that you're storing in iCloud?

#4 User is offline   simdude 

• PipPip

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:57 AM

gk_brown said:

I'm not sure Apple has stated they would be an extra charge if you have an iCloud account. Perhaps, they will include if you have an upgraded account.

Also, if you have a PC, there is no version of iWork apps so there's an advantage there.

There are obvious advantages and disadvantages to cloud apps. Let's say you have a Macbook Air with a small SSD drive. It's 3 less apps to install and keep updated. Obviously, you need an internet connection, however, it is possible to eliminate this as Google has done with many Chrome apps that can also run locally when you lose your connection.

It would be nice if these worked on iOS devices too. These three apps use over 1 GB of space. If you have a smaller iOS device with only 16 GB, that is a significant amount of space so being able to occasionally edit from a cloud app would be nice (as you can do with Google docs right now, but that feels very clunky).

#5 User is offline   jltnol 

• PipPip

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:32 AM

And how do you work on a plane with no web access? or a beach with no access? or on a battery powered laptop during a power blackout with no access? of if you are between ISP's and not access?

Online apps are just another way to keep you subscribed FOREVER.

Don't like having a car note? You can buy one and pay it off, and it's yours forever.

No so with online apps. You'll be paying for this over and over and over.... forever.

#6 User is offline   jltnol 

• PipPip

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

rdlink said:

gk_brown said
I still don't understand the motivation behind providing a web version of these apps. Presumably, I already have them installed on my Mac or iPad - why would I want to pay for yet another version that requires me to use a web browser to get to it? Well, first of all you don't have to pay for iCloud apps. It appears that they'll be free. Second, what if you are away from home, without any of your devices and need to create or edit a document that you're storing in iCloud?

And what if you are away from home with your laptop but no web access?

#7 User is offline   cebrough 

• Pip

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

jltnol said:

And how do you work on a plane with no web access? or a beach with no access? or on a battery powered laptop during a power blackout with no access? of if you are between ISP's and not access? Online apps are just another way to keep you subscribed FOREVER. Don't like having a car note? You can buy one and pay it off, and it's yours forever. No so with online apps. You'll be paying for this over and over and over.... forever.

Uh, do what you've been doing until now. Use the desktop versions. Geesh.

#8 User is offline   ribcity 

• Pip

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

The issue with iWork and iCloud and the OSX versions of iWork is as it was with the previous experiment. If you can not work on the document without saving a new one to work on it is simply NOT usable. Period.

It is a nicer attempt this time than with the previous version on Mobile Me or whatever it was called back then but not really at the end of the day.

#9 User is offline   cebrough 

• Pip

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

ribcity said:

The issue with iWork and iCloud and the OSX versions of iWork is as it was with the previous experiment. If you can not work on the document without saving a new one to work on it is simply NOT usable. Period. It is a nicer attempt this time than with the previous version on Mobile Me or whatever it was called back then but not really at the end of the day.

Not sure what you're trying to say but there are local copies stored on your computers and tablets, just like Dropbox (though harder than it should be to find them). It works fine.

#10 User is offline   altmontv2d 

• Pip

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

iWorks looks like an Ok set of app's and the cloud versions seem to work well. A big missing feature (and irresistible draw for me), though, is import/conversion of AppleWorks documents.

I am also still a bit miffed about Apple's abandonment of MacDraw, ClarisCAD and the Classic environment/emulator.

Maybe Apple will do better with iWorks longevity. They really need to put longer-lived support for their software on a par with their appreciation of "it just works" product integration. With their resources, there really is no good excuse to not supply their users with a reliable, inexpensive way to run even their first software, and documents produced in that software, on their current hardware.

#11 User is offline   ribcity 

• Pip

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

As it mentions even in this article, if you have an iWork document on your mac, send it to iCloud, open it and it has things in it that the iCloud version doesn't have it asks you to save a new one. The new one won't be the same as the one you made on your mac because it is missing the features. Or is it just me....

That has been my issue with it.

#12 User is offline   ribcity 

• Pip

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

If I create the document in iCloud, it has worked seemlessly back and forth. Really nice that way. Just not necessarily the other way.

#13 User is offline   hutwohl 

• Pip

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

Creating say, a Pages document and saving it to my iCloud account does not get updated with the edits when looking at the same document through Pages for iCloud in Safari. I assume an updated iWork suite will fix all that, as now I have to be very careful about which one I subsequently open up. When I look at my iCloud documents in Pages, the documents I just updated show an outlined cloud saying: “Waiting.”

However iWord for iCloud should be a real boon for Windows users. However, even Windows users are used to having a “require a password to open” setting in MS-Word. Whey it that so difficult to implement directly through the iCloud version of Pages?

#14 User is offline   hutwohl 

• Pip

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

hutwohl said:

Creating say, a Pages document and saving it to my iCloud account does not get updated with the edits when looking at the same document through Pages for iCloud in Safari. I assume an updated iWork suite will fix all that, as now I have to be very careful about which one I subsequently open up. When I look at my iCloud documents in Pages, the documents I just updated show an outlined cloud saying: “Waiting.” However iWord for iCloud should be a real boon for Windows users. However, even Windows users are used to having a “require a password to open” setting in MS-Word. Whey it that so difficult to implement directly through the iCloud version of Pages?

Sorry for my grammatical errors: However iWork for iCloud should be a real boon for Windows users. However, even Windows users are used to having a “require a password to open” setting in MS-Word. Why is it so difficult to implement directly through the iCloud version of Pages? Possibly that feature will be implemented someday.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users