Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: How to do seamless playback of mp3s on iTunes - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to do seamless playback of mp3s on iTunes

#1 User is offline   henebry 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 April 2003 - 05:16 PM

Many of my favorite albums have songs where music slides seamlessly from one song to the next: Quadrophenia, Abbey Road, Beethoven's Fifth. Songs are listed on the CD as separate songs, but there's no gap in playback.
When I encode these songs as mp3s and play them on iTunes (or on my Rio portable mp3 player), there is an audible gap between songs. The same thing happens with the shareware program Audion, even though it has a feature, "seamless transitions" that's supposed to prevent this.
Crossfade playback doesn't help; I want to make one song abut the prior one with no gap OR overlap.
Even better, I'd like to encode the whole album as a single mp3 file, so as to eliminate the problem both on my laptop and my portable mp3 player. But this doesn't seem to be an option.
Surely there are other listeners out there with the same problem--have any of you come up with a good solution?
Chuck Henebry

#2 User is offline   Paranoid_Android 

• PipPip

Posted 20 April 2003 - 07:35 PM

I think it has to do with how you're encoding the Mp3's from CD because I have not these issues.
Take for instance Dr. Dre's classic "The Chronic."
The second track, Wit Dre Day (And Everybody's Celebratin'), leads right into the third track, Let Me Ride. It is a seamless transition with no audible gap -- both on the original CD, the mp3 playlist and a copied CD.
The problem could be a slow hard drive, unable to process the seek quick enough. Most likely, it's over your refusal to use crossfading. Try setting it to 1 or 2 seconds. It's barely noticeable and can make all the difference in the world.
Did you rip the mp3's from CD's you own or just tracks you downloaded == 'cause they might just not sync up...

#3 User is offline   Jon Seff 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 April 2003 - 12:31 PM

When you rip with iTunes 3 in OS X, the Advanced menu has an option to "Join CD Track." Simply highlight the tracks you want to be as one, and select that option. Or if you want the whole album, select everything and do the same. That's the only way to get iTunes and the iPod to play seemlessly.
Jon

#4 User is offline   Paranoid_Android 

• PipPip

Posted 21 April 2003 - 07:16 PM

Maybe I'm just a retard...
...but there's no such option in my iTunes 3 Advanced preference pane...
Sure about this one, Jon?

#5 User is offline   Jon Seff 

• Advanced Member

Posted 22 April 2003 - 12:19 PM

I swear I'm not making this up /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Under the Advanced menu in my version of iTunes 3.0.1, the choices are:
Open Stream...
Convert Selection to AIFF
Consolidate Library...
Get CD Track Names
Submit CD Track Names
Join CD Tracks
Remove Audible Account...
Convert ID3 Tags...

#6 User is offline   henebry 

• PipPip

Posted 22 April 2003 - 01:02 PM

Thanks, Jon!
You're right, and that's exactly the key to making the song transitions fully invisible. Several people wrote to suggest that I use a one or two second cross-fade, but that simply doesn't work when the transition from one song to the other is dynamic and rhythmic.
Why this option is buried up in a special menu, though, is another question entirely.
Still, kudos to iTunes for having a solution.
And kudos to Jon_Seff for pointing it out to the rest of us.
Chuck

#7 User is offline   jax 

• PipPip

Posted 22 April 2003 - 06:29 PM

just so everybody knows, this command is NOT found in the "advanced" sections of the preferences, but rather in the "advanced" section of the itunes menu bar at the top of the screen. (it had me scratching my head for a few minutes trying to locate it).

#8 User is offline   Paranoid_Android 

• PipPip

Posted 22 April 2003 - 06:31 PM

Oh my.
I'm a moron.
I thought you mean the Advanced section in iTunes preferences. You actually meant the Advanced menu -- my bad.
Pardon my error -- I'll slink back over to the Kahloz forums now. /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#9 User is offline   Jon Seff 

• Advanced Member

Posted 23 April 2003 - 08:52 AM

When iTunes 3 was announced, I forgot to mention the Join CD Tracks feature in my news story /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I've found it indispensable when ripping live CD for listening to on my iPod.
Jon

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users