• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Get to know iOS 7: Calendar and Contacts

#43 User is offline   phil9ok 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:34 AM

You might think the event diary on the iPhone is better, but I don't. When I look at the screen in month view, yes it does show the events with a dot. Previously it showed the events with a name and you could see within a month multiple entries, and the name of the event.
Now I don't know which event it is , or how many there are. This doesn't help my monthly planning Instead I now have to click on each day to find an event, and scroll through the day list to find them all.
This doesn't happen on the iPad which is a far better way to use as a planner.
I know the screen is small on the iPhone but I preferred the old system. This new one makes unnecessary work.

#44 User is offline   Nikatron 

• Pip

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:33 PM

I don't know if I'm the only one feeling this way, but I'm just getting more and more sad about the iOS7 update. And I wish so much they could just bring back the iOS6 that we all loved and never had any problems with.

Not only I don't like the new calendar, but there is actually NOTHING I like about the iOS 7. I just wish so much I could understand WHY they decided to make such a drastic change to something that everyone loved. "Simplicity"??? I don't think so.
Did anyone complain? Did someone want a new calendar, together with everything else on their phone replaced with what seems to be totally foreign interface???
I'm sorry if my comment is a bit "loud", but I came to this forum because I, like many other people, am searching for a way to get a calendar that is similar to what I'm used to having on my phone. And reading all these comments just reminded me how upset I am over this change. I'm seriously starting to consider getting another phone, and normally, this would be unthinkable for someone like me because I used to praise the iPhone...

As for the new calendar, just to name a few things I dislike with passion (tip of the iceberg):

- weekly view in landscape mode, makes it impossible to get a scope of what's coming up in the following week;
- tapping the search icon to switch to "list", doesn't give you any perspective in terms of day planning because you don't see the time intervals for your scheduled events;
- monthly view is useless, because there is no preview to what's scheduled, and if seeing the preview means tapping on the day icon, and losing the monthly view, what's the advantage of this over the "list" view???
- switching to the "year" view is even more useless because you don't see anything at all...

Anyways, completely disappointed with this iOS, and I wish so much that those who made the decision to implement the iOS 7 could understand how many more people like me are out there, and how many are starting to wonder if they should look into buying something else... And I'm a very faithful iPhone user by the way, I've had all versions since day 1, and never complained - in fact, just the opposite, I used to tell everyone to get an iPhone. Almost makes me cry that I'm truly feeling this way mow...

Thank you for putting up with my long comment...

Christina

#45 User is offline   Nikatron 

• Pip

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:32 PM

nige said:

Wendy said
I absolutely HATE the new calendar. The monthly view with all the appointments in one place was incredibly useful. Now the most detailed view I can see is five days and five hours. I hate that there is only a single dot on the monthly view on days I have something scheduled, regardless of the number of events on that day. And the dot is gray, which is utterly meaningless; is the event personal, work-related or a to-do item? What is it? When is it? Who knows? And what purpose does all that white space serve? I feel like the designer's primary goal was to get this interface into the design collection at MoMA. I also hate the "hierarchical" approach to the calendar --- too much swiping and tapping. Do I really care about accessing the calendar for 2018? Nope. And Apple has completely ignored its own operations; the double-finger expand and reduce functions don't work here. Apple has a history of intelligent, user-focused design, consistently adhering to the core principle that things should be obvious, easy and informative. But this iteration of the calendar is cute and artsy, and completely dysfunctional. Steve Jobs would never have let this leave the shop. I completely agree Wendy, additionally the alert function which used to be universally on is now universally off. Due to this I missed an important appointment!!!! This now requires one to set another parameter for each individual item. For business this calendar function has now become a real PITA. AT least Microsoft has not succumbed to the artsy way and kept a perfectly functional system. I can Imagine Steve Jobs turning very rapidly in his grave. A very unhappy IOS 7 user

So true, Nige!!! I always think about what Steve Jobs' reaction would be to all of this... Even when I was getting the iPhone 5, I said to myself that it's his last "baby" and who knows what will happen in the future... And here we go!!! My worst nightmare... Like I said in my comment, in spite of the fact that I'm one of the most faithful iPhone users and have been using it since day 1, and used to tell everyone to get an iPhone, I am now starting to consider possibly switching to another device, and having to admit this makes me very sad.
I so agree with your comment. Steve Jobs would never do this to his iPhone...

#46 User is offline   Nikatron 

• Pip

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:39 PM

Wendy said:

I absolutely HATE the new calendar. The monthly view with all the appointments in one place was incredibly useful. Now the most detailed view I can see is five days and five hours. I hate that there is only a single dot on the monthly view on days I have something scheduled, regardless of the number of events on that day. And the dot is gray, which is utterly meaningless; is the event personal, work-related or a to-do item? What is it? When is it? Who knows? And what purpose does all that white space serve? I feel like the designer's primary goal was to get this interface into the design collection at MoMA. I also hate the "hierarchical" approach to the calendar --- too much swiping and tapping. Do I really care about accessing the calendar for 2018? Nope. And Apple has completely ignored its own operations; the double-finger expand and reduce functions don't work here. Apple has a history of intelligent, user-focused design, consistently adhering to the core principle that things should be obvious, easy and informative. But this iteration of the calendar is cute and artsy, and completely dysfunctional. Steve Jobs would never have let this leave the shop.

Wendy! I felt like screaming "Yes!" and hugging you when I read your comment... I am SO upset, disappointed and mad about all these changes, and I just can't say enough how much I hate pretty much everything about the iOS 7. I mentioned some things about the calendar in my comments, but I just wanted to tell you "thank you" because I so much agree with everything you said.
And almost every single day I say to myself "If only Steve Jobs was here... He would never allow anyone to do this to his iPhone"...

#47 User is offline   Publicsafetydan 

• Pip

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

There is no way you actually could believe any of the garbage you have written in this article. "Eliminating cramped event views for a better working streamlined weekly view"! I have news for you, people don't schedule their lives on a hierarchy. Yes, the old calendar looked cramped on the monthly view, but it worked perfectly. There is nothing wrong with cramping information onto a small screen if it gets the job done. All this update has done is take away the most useful part of the built in app, and cause everyone to have to purchase other apps to do the same job.

For such a polished and beautiful operating system as iOS 7 is, this simply disgusting redesign of the beloved calendar app is just depressing. Apple is famous for their failures, and this is one of the biggest ones to date.

#48 User is offline   Publicsafetydan 

• Pip

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:39 PM

ejp123 said:

I miss being able to set 2 reminders for an appointment or event. I could only find a way to set one.

As long as you create the event using your iCloud account you can schedule two reminders.

#49 User is offline   Cobaltmare 

• Pip

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:34 AM

So frustrated with iphone calendar. I miss list view. Anyone know of a fix for this?
Also, how do I share an event?

#50 User is offline   Cobaltmare 

• Pip

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:48 AM

Ok. I got it. List view shows up under search icon. Nice.
How do I share an event?

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users