Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: how do you keep ink from bleeding on glossy paper? - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how do you keep ink from bleeding on glossy paper?

#1 User is offline   halo_echoes 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 April 2003 - 05:47 PM

i have an epson stylus photo 785EPX printer, which is i suppose your average photo inkjet. whenever i print color images on glossy photo paper, maily those involving two solid colors next to each other, i get bleeding from one color onto the other ask the ink dries, creating a jaggedy look for what were supposed to be smooth/straight edges.
i was playing around with the settings, and have found the least ink bleeding occured when i chose 'plain paper' instead glossy photo paper in the print settings, and 'automatic' as the mode. this reduced the amount of ink released onto the paper, but there's still a noticeable degree of bleeding. /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
i'm using photoshop to print the images. any ideas?
thanks!

#2 User is offline   rockinphotog 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2003 - 07:41 AM

Which paper are you using? some super glossy papers may require that you use the photo quality glossy film setting for less porous surfaces. Your situation is curious, since I have never had bleeding on any of my three Epson's. Are you sure that you aren't loading the paper in backwards?

#3 User is offline   halo_echoes 

• PipPip

Posted 20 April 2003 - 02:33 PM

i'm using "hp brochure and flyer paper, gloss" for inkjet that i picked up from kinkos. it's double sided glossy, and really thin for glossy paper (44lb) because i'm using it to make pinback buttons and it needs to fold around the button.
i think i've tried the glossy/photo inkjet paper setting and it slapped way too much ink on, making the bleeding worse. i haven't tried the glossy film setting though, i'll give that a try. i'm not sure how its possible to load paper in backwards? i might need some clarification there.
thanks for the advice. /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#4 User is offline   rockinphotog 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2003 - 04:59 AM

In reply to:

i'm not sure how its possible to load paper in backwards? i might need some clarification there.

Some papers (pictorico photo quality high gloss film for one) do not have any printing on the back side, and since it is a heavily coated paper, it is easy to mistake the back for the front. They look identical, but the back doesn't receive the ink well and smears.
That HP paper just might never print properly on the Epson.
Epson has several light weight papers that you could try.
All-Purpose Glossy Paper-38lb 6.7mil
Photo Quality Glossy Film-47lb 5mil
Photo Quality Glossy Paper 38lb 6.7mil

#5 User is offline   Adam_W 

• PipPip

Posted 21 April 2003 - 09:40 AM

In my experience, Epson printers work great with Epson photo papers and very poorly with other brands of papers. I've had bad output with HP and Kodak papers. Epson papers produce great results (I love the Matte Paper-Heavyweight. It looks wonderful and is cheaper than the glossy papers.)
Adam

#6 User is offline   halo_echoes 

• PipPip

Posted 21 April 2003 - 05:01 PM

thank you both for the advice.
looks like i will be buying some epson paper /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users