Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Apple re-releases Apple TV 6.0 update, details iOS device setup feature - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple re-releases Apple TV 6.0 update, details iOS device setup feature

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

Post your comments for Apple re-releases Apple TV 6.0 update, details iOS device setup feature here

#2 User is offline   BabaOReilly 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

Do you have to update to 6 before you do the setup step?

#3 User is offline   mc4o1993 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

BabaOReilly said:

Do you have to update to 6 before you do the setup step?

yes

With Apple TV software 6.0 or later, you can set up your Apple TV (3rd generation) by transferring the following from your iOS 7 device:

#4 User is offline   mc4o1993 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

kind of a neat trick. in the old says, you had to point and click most of it before you could setup the remote app.

so do this, then setup the remote app before you do this..

"Other services, like Home Sharing, iTunes Match, and third-party video providers (Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, and so on), can’t be set up in this fashion—you’ll need to do it the good old fashioned point-and-click way."

#5 User is offline   JackMcCoy 

• Pip

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:00 PM

I have been using a Bluetooth keyboard instead of a remote for some time with my Apple TV. You can do just about everything that the remote or Remote app can do. (I'm not aware of anything the keyboard can't do; I'm just covering my bases.)

#6 User is offline   nokin 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

Huh... tried it on my ATV 3 (and ATV 2.... just cuz). Got nothin. Tap, tap tap... still nothin. Both ATV's are upgraded to 6.0 and my iPhone 4s is at 7.0. Anybody actually do this? Maybe it's April 1 and my calendar is just messed up? It seems a but to much like that thing that MS had with the Zoom... is Apple really going that direction?

#7 User is offline   DarrynLowe0qbv 

• PipPip

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

nokin said:

Huh... tried it on my ATV 3 (and ATV 2.... just cuz). Got nothin. Tap, tap tap... still nothin. Both ATV's are upgraded to 6.0 and my iPhone 4s is at 7.0. Anybody actually do this? Maybe it's April 1 and my calendar is just messed up? It seems a but to much like that thing that MS had with the Zoom... is Apple really going that direction?

Have you turned Bluetooth on on both the iPhone 4s and the AppleTV?

#8 User is offline   nokin 

• PipPip

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:13 PM

DarrynLowe0qbv said:

nokin said
Huh... tried it on my ATV 3 (and ATV 2.... just cuz). Got nothin. Tap, tap tap... still nothin. Both ATV's are upgraded to 6.0 and my iPhone 4s is at 7.0. Anybody actually do this? Maybe it's April 1 and my calendar is just messed up? It seems a but to much like that thing that MS had with the Zoom... is Apple really going that direction? Have you turned Bluetooth on on both the iPhone 4s and the AppleTV?

I have my bluetooth turned "on" on the iPhone. I think the ATV bluetooth is always on (unless I am missing something) Anyway, it appears to on as well. Have you got it to work?

#9 User is offline   gk_brown 

• PipPip

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:40 AM

"This marks yet another clever way that Apple’s leveraged its integrated ecosystem to provide simpler, more friendly processes for setting up its devices"

Based on the article, it sounds like using an iOS device to set up an Apple TV is actually more complex than just using the included remote (need to set up Wi-Fi, need to set up Bluetooth, need to touch the device to the Apple TV, need to keep it in close physical proximity while you wait for the setup process to complete...). I don't need to do any of that with the remote.

#10 User is offline   Gedwards8605 

• Pip

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

Checked to make sure Blue Tooth was on both devices. Tried it and it worked as promised first time. Device range was about 16 feet and the process was flawless. This device has come a long with and with Time Warner coming on board and talks with Comcast we may actually have a one stop shop for our entertainment. Now if Amazon and Spotify would talk to Apple and come on board our Roku's would be on EBay fast, Apples menuing is much better and I have far less issues with the AppleTV then the Roku. ITunes Radio is an incredible service and a nice addition.

#11 User is offline   Gedwards8605 

• Pip

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

Apple TV Blue Tooth is not always on, you have to turn it on.

#12 User is offline   oldmufflerman 

• Pip

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:59 AM

You forgot to mention that the" touch and set" is only available on the third generation Apple TV.

#13 User is offline   oldmufflerman 

• Pip

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

nokin said:

DarrynLowe0qbv said
nokin said Huh... tried it on my ATV 3 (and ATV 2.... just cuz). Got nothin. Tap, tap tap... still nothin. Both ATV's are upgraded to 6.0 and my iPhone 4s is at 7.0. Anybody actually do this? Maybe it's April 1 and my calendar is just messed up? It seems a but to much like that thing that MS had with the Zoom... is Apple really going that direction? Have you turned Bluetooth on on both the iPhone 4s and the AppleTV? I have my bluetooth turned "on" on the iPhone. I think the ATV bluetooth is always on (unless I am missing something) Anyway, it appears to on as well. Have you got it to work?

#14 User is offline   oldmufflerman 

• Pip

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

You need the third version of Apple tv to work for the touch and set.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users