Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: When iOS 7 isn't really the worst thing in the world - Macworld Forums

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

When iOS 7 isn't really the worst thing in the world

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:00 AM

Post your comments for When iOS 7 isn't really the worst thing in the world here

#2 User is offline   TeaEarleGreyHot 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:14 AM

"Different" can be startling at first, but it's not to be confused with "bad". However, when I can't read the time on the home page, or the date on my login screen, it's more than merely "different". When I can't read the letters underneath the very delicate numbers on the phone touchpad, it's more than merely "different". When the calendar's numbers have shrunken down and events are difficult to find without scrolling around in "single day view", it's more than different. There are a number of elements in iOS7 which are major steps backwards. And some (small, fine print) that make the phone very difficult to use. Yes, I'm already wearing my corrective reading glasses. And yes, I've got "bold type" and "large print" turned on in iOS7. But the re-design is simply BAD. It's the same mindset that puts tiny type in keynote presentations, that can't be read from more than 2 rows away from the speaker.

it's as if all the "large print" designers were poached away from Apple, and now there's nobody to balance out the "micro print" designers. I guess Macworld poached those designers, vis-a-vis the "remains of the day" 150-point banner. ;)

This post has been edited by TeaEarleGreyHot: 25 September 2013 - 05:18 AM

#3 User is offline   IamSerge 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:45 AM

iOS7b is really bad.
Very slow.
Very heavy.
Inconsistant interface.
If you install it on iPhone5, say good buy your iTunes purchases - they will fly away from you and you will have no way to complain about it.
Waste of human resources.

#4 User is offline   Edge35 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:00 AM

I like iOS 7...except the music app. Specifically, what the heck is going on when you are listening to a song and the phone is in landscape mode (like it is in my car cradle because I often use Waze)? Why did the designers feel that by rotating my phone to landscape I was indicating that I want to see the album art of every song on my phone? Invariably I accidentally tap on one of them so now I'm driving around listening to one song but staring at the album art of another.

Pretty minor, though, and my overall iOS 7 transition was pretty smooth.

#5 User is offline   ceej 

• PipPip

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:00 AM

What would Steve do? He'd tell you you're swiping wrong.

That's actually funny, but aren't you violating your own Internet rule? B)

This post has been edited by ceej: 25 September 2013 - 06:29 AM

#6 User is offline   mc4o1993 

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:04 AM

TeaEarleGreyHot said:

"Different" can be startling at first, but it's not to be confused with "bad". However, when I can't read the time on the home page, or the date on my login screen, it's more than merely "different". When I can't read the letters underneath the very delicate numbers on the phone touchpad, it's more than merely "different". When the calendar's numbers have shrunken down and events are difficult to find without scrolling around in "single day view", it's more than different. There are a number of elements in iOS7 which are major steps backwards. And some (small, fine print) that make the phone very difficult to use. Yes, I'm already wearing my corrective reading glasses. And yes, I've got "bold type" and "large print" turned on in iOS7. But the re-design is simply BAD. It's the same mindset that puts tiny type in keynote presentations, that can't be read from more than 2 rows away from the speaker. it's as if all the "large print" designers were poached away from Apple, and now there's nobody to balance out the "micro print" designers. I guess Macworld poached those designers, vis-a-vis the "remains of the day" 150-point banner.

http://howto.cnet.co...arger-in-ios-7/

As previously discussed, iOS 7 features Dynamic Text, which lets you change the default size of text across the entire device. The slider for Dynamic Text can be found via this path:
Settings > General > Text Size

and if your eyes are that bad.. you can either zoom in, or enlarge text beyond what the Dynamic Text slider provides.

http://support.apple...iewlocale=en_US
Go to Settings > General > Accessibility. There are settings for the following features:

Vision

VoiceOver
Zoom
Large Text
Invert Colors
Speak Selection

#7 User is offline   mc4o1993 

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:07 AM

IamSerge said:

iOS7b is really bad. Very slow. Very heavy. Inconsistant interface. If you install it on iPhone5, say good buy your iTunes purchases - they will fly away from you and you will have no way to complain about it. Waste of human resources.

so tapping on the "purchased" button doesn't show your stuff? mine does. what exactly, is Apple not allowing you to download again?

#8 User is offline   IamSerge 

• Pip

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:16 AM

mc4o1993 said:

IamSerge said
iOS7b is really bad. Very slow. Very heavy. Inconsistant interface. If you install it on iPhone5, say good buy your iTunes purchases - they will fly away from you and you will have no way to complain about it. Waste of human resources. so tapping on the "purchased" button doesn't show your stuff? mine does. what exactly, is Apple not allowing you to download again?

It's a pity I can't sent you images. But trust me. Imagine you open your purchased album in portrait mode. It displays 13 songs. One is in black (so you can play it) other 12 in grey (so you CAN'T play them). Then guess!!! - turn your phone into the landscape mode - and all 13 songs are playable now!!!!! Thanks Jonney for that!!! What a fun for approximately $1000!!!!!

And there is much more. I just do not want waste more of my time.

#9 User is offline   IamSerge 

• Pip

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:20 AM

mc4o1993 said:

IamSerge said
iOS7b is really bad. Very slow. Very heavy. Inconsistant interface. If you install it on iPhone5, say good buy your iTunes purchases - they will fly away from you and you will have no way to complain about it. Waste of human resources. so tapping on the "purchased" button doesn't show your stuff? mine does. what exactly, is Apple not allowing you to download again?

Yes it does show but in order to pay them you must be connected. If you are not connected to the internet, you CANNOT play your purchased items.

#10 User is offline   sckinjctn 

• Pip

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:12 AM

Anyone notice the lock screen wallpaper fiasco? You could have had a perfectly good wallpaper on iOS 6 but now it's distorted and shifted arbitrarily in order to accommodate the Parallax effect, even when the Parallax effect is shut off. So a cute picture (taken on the same device) of my son and his dog now is a picture of half of his face‽ Yes, there are Photoshop and Photoshop-like workarounds, but what once worked doesn't work anymore.

Then I tried the Music app, after reading the above complaints. Wow. That's even worse than iOS 6. Glad music is less important to my use of my iPhone and iPad.

#11 User is offline   brianbeam 

• PipPip

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

Edge35 said:

I like iOS 7...except the music app. Specifically, what the heck is going on when you are listening to a song and the phone is in landscape mode (like it is in my car cradle...

I've been using CarTunes for quite awhile and much prefer it over the Music app... especially in the car (go figure).

#12 User is offline   gk_brown 

• PipPip

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

I've never been a fan of the search metaphor used in Safari for iOS. It combines two actions that, in my opinion, should be distinct. I either want to execute a new internet search *or* I want to find something on the current page. I don't ever want to do both of those things at the same time.

It would be nice if Safari simply offered a "find" button or link next to the combined address/search bar. This button would open a popup or something similar that would allow me to search for text within the current document.

#13 User is offline   Tom 

• PipPip

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:48 AM

This article and the comments, especially by mc4o1993 on the Accessibility menu is the most truly useful I have found for the problems I have. Most of the other articles on iOS 7 are too rah! rah! and the comments are purely negative.

I think the new interface that seems to slavishly follow Android and Windows, is what most folks seem to have a problem with. It is indeed hard to read until you use the Accessibility menu, but it is still dull and boring looking. This is not enough for me to stop using Apple devices (I started with an Apple II+ in the early 80s), but it is a concern when Apple is perceived as imitating other OSs instead of leading.

#14 User is offline   Lenjc1957 

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

I would add, if you're having trouble, and if you live within a reasonable distance from an Apple Store, go online and reserve a spot in one of their free, 'Get to Know Your iPhone/iPad' classes. Free, fast, fun, and you'll learn things that you possibly didn't even know you could do with iOS 7.

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users