Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: The Macalope Weekly: Comparing the incomparable - Macworld Forums

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Macalope Weekly: Comparing the incomparable

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:00 AM

Post your comments for The Macalope Weekly: Comparing the incomparable here

#2 User is offline   mrobertson 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:00 AM

You also have to love the new math:

"the debut would have been closer to six million units, up 20% from last year." (minus the additional 3 mil 5c's)

"it would trail the 80% growth of smartphones running Google’s Android operating system in the 12 months through June, according to Strategy Analytics."

With Apple numbers being a comparison of the opening weekend sales and Android numbers being for MONTHS. Of course those stats are from Strategy Analytics and I use them all the time to pick my lottery numbers. I just cannot figure out why I have not won yet.

"Stupidgate. Tell a friend"

#3 User is offline   snagitseven 

• PipPip

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:06 AM

And I can't wait for the first pundit to jump on the app icon animation zooming issue being reported that's making a few people nauseous: "Animategate". Or maybe "Discombobugate", "Nausiategate" or "Pukegate". It's coming...watch for it...

#4 User is offline   fryke 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:07 AM

You know how Stephen Colbert sometimes asks his viewers to go to "the internets" to comment specifically about some or other things? The Macalope should release some form of standard text about Stupidgate we could use in forums. Something along the line of "But in 20xy you said that ...? You're part of the stupidgate affair!" I don't quite know how to properly use the term in comments sections...

#5 User is offline   davidlfoster 

• PipPip

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:23 AM

Unfortunately, stupidity with regards to all things Apple is just the tip of the iceberg in the US today. After that catastrophic spectacle put on in the Senate by Ted Cruz on the 25th (America may never recover from the embarrassment suffered on the day that the GOP fully and irreversibly embraced stupidity - read this op-ed piece at http://www.truth-out...n-eggs-and-derp), maybe it is time we began to wage an organized campaign to fight the rampaging stupidity taking over America. An organized approach to petitioning organizations posing as journalistic portals to wise up is a good first step since in so many cases the media today actually promotes stupidity. And please don't berate me for going just a little bit political here; stupidity in the USA is not just constrained to Apple pundits. ANYONE who honestly reviews the things that Ted Cruz said on the Senate floor would have to agree there is rot around here. Like arguing that the more iPhones that Apple sells, the more they are doomed to fail, stupid is the new fad.

#6 User is offline   GadgetGav 

• PipPip

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:25 AM

"But readers of The Wall Street Journal are too smart to fall for that as they practice their commuter-fold on the New Haven line while pondering just how many martinis they’ll have for lunch."
Ha! LOL'd at that one..!

Personally, I'm looking forward to the tearful piece from Rob Enderle about how RIM / Blackberry withering on the vine is another of his greatest failures, just like the way he failed to save Steve Ballmer from himself. I'm sure Rob has been in the same room as the RIM co-CEOs at some point and he can spin that into a close personal relationship that would have helped turn the company around if only they'd listened to him or he'd been more persuasive…
Maybe he's saving that for when the private company fails.

#7 User is offline   vinnie_A 

• PipPip

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:40 AM

and why didn't we see this headline last week:

Apple Maps reveals dangerous airport flaw overlooked by FAA and TSA

why? Because it is Apple. And apparently in Alaska it is OK for airports to be accessible by civilian (or terrorist) vehicles that can drive right onto a runway.

#8 User is offline   tfmeehan 

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:47 AM

If you package up a bunch of Enderle's columns and send them to the college he went to, I wonder if they would just voluntarily send him a refund of his tuition payments?

#9 User is offline   bettercitizens 

• PipPip

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:53 AM

"Stupidgate", great term! Thanks for the laughs Macalope.

I think that these pundits should have been writing about the 64-bit A7 chip and 64-bit iOS 7 and it's implication to future hardware and software. And they say Apple cannot "innovate" anymore. These pundits wouldn't know innovation if it came up and bit them on the ass. 64-bit OS X and 64-bit iOS is a great platform from which great and innovative software will be built.

Since the cost of publishing on the Internet is so low we get both good and bad articles. With Apple the balance seems tilted more to the bad side. All of this is really meaningless because Apple will just keep doing what it does and keep doing it well.

#10 User is offline   flowney 

• PipPip

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:55 AM

Blackberry's baby?
It takes two you know. Give Rosemary some credit too.
Dr. Frank Lowney Georgia College & State University
Senior Director for External Projects
and Assistant to the Director, Digital Innovation Group @ Georgia College

#11 User is offline   Rycho 

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:08 AM

Stephen Hawking is to Apple users as Forrest Gump is to technology pundits.

#12 User is offline   lwdesign 

• PipPip

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

I'm often left shaking my head after reading the Macalope's articles. Today is a bit different, and I actually feel buoyed up by one realization about Apple and its success. With so much negative press about a company, you'd expect that it would be in BIG trouble and floundering. Apple has continually flown in the face of all this black PR and has become more successful than ever. Nine million phone sales in 3 days, no matter how you pick it apart, is great news and shows that the public at large just isn't listening to the pundits and their Stupidgate opinions. Apple is the company who leads the way and continues to thrive in circumstances that would have killed other companies long ago.

#13 User is offline   Rycho 

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:22 AM

I guess these pundits missed Bloomberg Businessweek's amazing stat. "iPhone sales in the last year exceed all revenue to Microsoft, Amazon, Comcast, or Google. The iPhone alone outsells Coca-Cola and McDonald’s, perhaps the world’s two most famous brands, combined."

#14 User is offline   bingethinker 

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:37 AM

tfmeehan said:

If you package up a bunch of Enderle's columns and send them to the college he went to, I wonder if they would just voluntarily send him a refund of his tuition payments?

Or they should take back his diploma and threaten legal action if he even mentions that he went to their school!

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users