Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Fractal kings return with a breathtaking iOS app - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fractal kings return with a breathtaking iOS app

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:30 AM

Post your comments for Fractal kings return with a breathtaking iOS app here

#2 User is offline   grants 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:44 AM

Small correction.

Kai Krause did not 'invent' Live Picture, which was the brainchild of the apparently brilliant mathematician, Bruno Delean. In fact, Kai may have been a little bit naughty and 'borrowed' some of Live Picture's extremely clever distortion algorithms for his Goo software.

Nice to someone of his great talents back in the game though.

#3 User is offline   thinkman 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

Kai Krause was such an inspiration back in the day, and then he dissappeared! Glad to know that he is still with us and apparently thriving.

Grant's correct about Live Picture, which debuted at a $3,000.00+ price tag. When it was aquired by another company they dropped the price to 7 or 8 hundred dollars. I bit. So much potential for the time, but SO buggy as to be virtually unusable. And then it dissappeared, Very much like Quark's $800. Immedia program. That was back at a time when Quark owned the desktop publishing market and were awful at tech support!!! They are a whole new company now, with great support. Funny what a little (InDesign) competition will do.

My numbers may be a little off, but all of this happened in the 1990s.

#4 User is offline   KaiK 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

If I might chime in for a sec: Grant you are perfectly correct, but I have never ever claimed to have invented LivePicture - that was definitely the achievement of Bruno in France, a fervent brain to be sure, do wonder what he tackled next.
Goo was an entirely separate code base by Ben Weiss btw.

The same is true for Bryce, btw, which I would never ever claim to have written either - that was Eric Wenger, another extremely talented mathematician and coder. It was good fun to visit him in Paris repeatedly for over a year to put an interface around his creation.
That I did do ;)

And Thinkman, of course you are equally correct in the assessment that LP was very early and very 'challenging' - for Bruno just as much as you.
Bit of a shame, there were some very useful concepts in LP, especially in 1994. I used it in a keynote with John Sculley in Paris with a 500 megabyte skull image, when PS in those days needed many minutes to even just open the file! In the end John bought the company, but I lost track of it after that.

A long time ago, slow machines, tiny screens, but... there was a hopeful spirit in the air, which I do miss in the industry these days. Don't you ? ;)

#5 User is offline   LMarkoya 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:42 AM

Have to add that it is great to have Kai back in the game...as John from CIncinnati would say. Having been a protege to Salvador Dali in the 70's using Kai's Power Tools were the closest thing to me that took me back to working with Dali....I look forward to playing with FRAXX, but much more to the Mandelbulb version, as 3D fractals are a large part of my creative process now and I'm sure were he still alive today, a major part of Dali's. Welcome back Kai, I'll raise a glass of wine to you tonight

#6 User is offline   mc4o1993 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:57 AM

KPT.. brings back memories. but before KPT tools, there was Flowfazer by musician and geek - Todd Rundgren

utopia grockware.

https://itunes.apple...d507935335?mt=8

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users