Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: It's the little things: What we like and don't like in iOS 7 - Macworld Forums

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

It's the little things: What we like and don't like in iOS 7

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:30 AM

Post your comments for It's the little things: What we like and don't like in iOS 7 here

#2 User is online   Ben428 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:43 AM

Agreed on the tricky Control Center swipe and the loss of the double-home-button for media controls.

I will add: wasted space and the loss of actual information—and the addition of useless, vague summaries—in Notification Center. In iOS 6, I saw all of my appointments for the rest of the day stacked right on top of each other. In iOS 7, they are spread out over a calendar, and you can only see half a day. There's no information about the second half of the day -- but there is, bizarrely, a summary of the following day. Huh?

#3 User is offline   simongardener 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:03 AM

One big omission on the control center - privacy. I know there no room there for the fine tuning app by app. Bu surely they could have put the global on off setting there

#4 User is offline   JimPhynn 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:10 AM

Here's a nuisance in Safari, from web pages with a pull-down menu that auto-detects what you've chosen (like some Amazon sites). If you wanted to see all of the choices in the pull-down, it would refresh the screen with your choice when you stopped the on your choice. Now you have to tap "done" on each choice when you stop.

#5 User is offline   hemmesphere 

• Pip

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:32 AM

The up and down swiping gesture works great if you start from outside the active screen. This is easy on the ipad, but more tricky on the iphone, especially is you have a case . Can imagine that the ipad mini is a challenge as well with the very thin edge around the screen real estate.
But overall, think the new iOS is great. Feels more crisp and easier to read for 'older' users like me.

#6 User is offline   Sulis 

• Pip

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:20 AM

Give the new Folders view some time.

I thought it was strange to have only 9 apps per view, but now I find it one of the most useful features in iOS7. The icons on the "front" page correspond exactly with the ones in the folder icon, so you already can see where you need to tap when the folder opens.

This makes the first 9 apps much, much easier to navigate to - these are your main apps for each folder. I have the ones I use most in the axis points - centre and corners - so you can use muscle memory to open them.

The secondary apps in the folder then become easier to find as well - secondary apps are on the second page. But most of the time these are just the "nice to know I have them if I need them" apps.

I've found that my 8+ pages of apps have come down to 3... That's why I love the new folder view.

#7 User is offline   rstang 

• Pip

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:16 AM

I wonder why nobody ever comments about the new news stand app (which actually no longer seems to be one...).

In iOS6, when reading a magazine from news stand, clicking the home button brought you back to the last home screen you were on. Now, click once and you are thrown back into the news stand (which now looks like shelves of iced glass instead of wood and need the words news stand written on them so you don't think iOS 7 is broken...), and you have to click the home button again to get back to the home screen.
You then end up on the page that holds the news stand icon, not the one you were on last - simply annoying.

On the other hand, the multitasking view no longer contains news stand as a separate app.

I liked the iOS 6 version of news stand way better, not only for its design, but more for the handling.

#8 User is offline   vintagegeek 

• PipPip

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:12 AM

I can't stand the off-white background in Notes and Calendar. It's very hard on older eyes. I'd like the ability to change those backgrounds or use the Invert function on a per app basis.

#9 User is offline   vintagegeek 

• PipPip

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:19 AM

The other thing that really bothers me is in Videos the Movies selection does not display the name of the movie. I guess Apple assumes you have Artwork for every movie.

#10 User is offline   Edge35 

• PipPip

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:22 AM

Opening the music app, playing a song, then turning your phone sideways (landscape). For some reason iOS 7 thinks that is you indicating that you want to see every bit of album art on your phone.

Even better, if you tap one of the album covers you are then staring at the art for the album you just tapped but still listening to the song you originally played. Why would I want to look at the cover of Tattoo You while I'm listening to Stairway to Heaven?

Very disjointed.

#11 User is offline   quakerotis 

• PipPip

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:24 AM

The full screen behavior of Safari breaks many many HTML5 apps from being able to work properly. This is really problematic for developers.

#12 User is offline   MorrisTheCat 

• PipPip

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:04 AM

vintagegeek said:

I can't stand the off-white background in Notes and Calendar. It's very hard on older eyes. I'd like the ability to change those backgrounds or use the Invert function on a per app basis.

Totally agreed on that. I can't use Calendar app anymore on iOS 7. It literally hurts my eyes to look at it. I can't understand what Jony Ive and his designers were thinking that stark white with red text would be a good choice.
All I want in a future iOS 7 update is a simple setting for Calendar to use some subdued colors, like a light grey background and blue text, Something that doesn't make my eyes bleed.

I agree with some of the other annoyances too. Overall I really like iOS 7 and would not go back to iOS 6 at this point, even if it were an option.
As with any new OS, especially one that is a major rewrite, things will get better with time.

#13 User is offline   MorrisTheCat 

• PipPip

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:07 AM

Edge35 said:

Opening the music app, playing a song, then turning your phone sideways (landscape). For some reason iOS 7 thinks that is you indicating that you want to see every bit of album art on your phone. Even better, if you tap one of the album covers you are then staring at the art for the album you just tapped but still listening to the song you originally played. Why would I want to look at the cover of Tattoo You while I'm listening to Stairway to Heaven? Very disjointed.

Yeah, this Music app function really makes no sense to me. Its almost like the designers were just showing off, or they couldn't come up with a good idea of how to redesign the landscape music app view. I saw nothing wrong with how it worked before. Just needed some design refresh and "iOS 7-ifying", but the concept of how it worked in iOS 6 was just fine.

#14 User is offline   GregForbes 

• PipPip

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

vintagegeek said:

agree with your comments - I would also like a double bold font.

I know its not exactly what you are suggesting but you can set up the triple click on the home button to invert the screen colours setup= general =accessibility

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users