Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Get your Mac ready for Mavericks (OS X 10.9) - Macworld Forums

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Get your Mac ready for Mavericks (OS X 10.9)

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:00 AM

Post your comments for Get your Mac ready for Mavericks (OS X 10.9) here

#2 User is offline   magoo2 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:24 AM

I can badly await the moment of upgrading to Mavericks due to its many interesting and useful new features.
The last time I felt like this was before the arrival of OS X 10.5 Leopard. Remember all the great things that arrived at that time: Time Machine, Quick Look, Bootcamp, screen sharing, boolean searches within Spotlight, .....
What an incredible update was that!!

#3 User is offline   KernelG 

• PipPip

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:46 AM

I look forward to that next article. My plan right now is to upgrade the venerable Mac Pro with a 2 TB hybrid SSHD and Mavericks at the same time, starting clean.

I run a variety of creative apps. Logic Pro X and FCPX are no problem, I assume (just download from the MAS again.. is there a limit to the number of times we can do that?). Photoshop CC should be similarly easy, and I have the original Illustrator CS5 install disc.

Then there's the specialty recording software. Celemony Melodyne is the only app that I remember actually keeping track of installs, and you MUST remove it from the old drive/Mac to get a credit back (or write them and plead for it). The real fun: Around 150 audio plug-ins with various forms of copy protection.

Is there any automated way to cleanly do this, or... never mind, I know the answer. At least the repeat restarts will train my new SSHD. Heh.

#4 User is offline   jb36 

• Pip

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:29 AM

You note early in your article on hardware requirements that "some features, such as … extended desktop … have stricter requirements", but this feature is not mentioned again.

Extended desktop is what I am really looking forward to.. Will it work on a 2008 unibody macbook pro?

#5 User is offline   Dan Frakes 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:49 AM

View Postjb36, on 07 October 2013 - 07:29 AM, said:

You note early in your article on hardware requirements that "some features, such as … extended desktop … have stricter requirements", but this feature is not mentioned again.

Extended desktop is what I am really looking forward to.. Will it work on a 2008 unibody macbook pro?

The phrase is "AirPlay mirroring and extended desktop," meaning using a TV (via Apple TV) as your second display. The link in that sentence goes to Apple's OS X requirements page, which notes that AirPlay mirroring works with:

iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)
Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)
MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)
Dan Frakes / Senior Editor, Macworld

#6 User is offline   won 

• PipPip

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

"...Snow Lion..."?

:-D

#7 User is offline   jb36 

• Pip

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

Oops! "Multiple displays" was what I was thinking of, and that I see will work fine. I am delighted. Thanks for your fast response.

Apple with Cook is still amazing.

I started with the 128k - then it actually got a little stupid for a while - then after the 1997 reboot it took of again.

#8 User is offline   Inkling 

• PipPip

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

I'd be more interest in a Magic Trackpad if Apple had one that didn't run off batteries. It's an unnecessary hassle with desktops.

A version that mounted on either side of a standard Mac keyboard would be even better.

#9 User is offline   lkrupp 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

Absolutely great advice about preparing for Mavericks. Too bad so many people will ignore it and run screaming to the Apple discussion forums when they brick their systems. Here's how the typical conversations goes...

User: I tried installing Mavericks. Now my computer won't start up. What do I do now?

Helper: Restore from your backup.

User: What?

Helper: Your backup. You DO have a backup, right?

User: No. I hate Time Machine so I don't use it.

Helper: Well, then you're out of luck.

User: Apple's QA has really gone down hill. Steve would never have allowed this. I guess I'll buy a PC. Goodbye Apple.

Helper: Whatever.

#10 User is offline   Dan Frakes 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

View Postwon, on 07 October 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

"...Snow Lion..."?

:-D

D'oh! Too many cats.

Fixed, thanks ;)
Dan Frakes / Senior Editor, Macworld

#11 User is offline   LeTap 

• PipPip

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

I have two Classic programs that were never updated and as they are crucial to me, I use Classic-on-Intel and it runs just fine on Mountain Lion and Mavericks.

#12 User is offline   SockRolid 

• PipPip

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

Under NDA here, but I can say that the GM of OS X [redacted] runs perfectly on my mid-2007 iMac (the oldest iMac that [redacted] will install itself on.) Safari is more reliable, Maps is brilliant, and performance of the ancient iMac is better than with the old OS X 10.8.5. It seems like virtual memory (disk swapping) is vastly improved.

One minor glitch: the Time Machine icon in the status bar doesn't "spin" properly. Looks like it moves one tick, then freezes with two overlapped images.

#13 User is offline   Suenaga 

• PipPip

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

I've been regularly running Disk Utility's Disk Repair on the Lion system I boot up with and it clearly said a bunch of repairs were made each time. But above, Dan says you need to boot from a separate system to make such repairs. Is my utility lying?

#14 User is offline   durankeeley 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

You need atleast 2GB of RAM to install GM - I don't know about the other DP's but DP1 could install on 1GB.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users