Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:30 AM

Post your comments for Why businesses are embracing iOS 7 here

#2 User is offline   LouMiranda 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:08 AM

Great article, but an odd ending.

You state:
"For example, despite the arrival of Per App VPN and similar technologies, companies still worry that data might be leaked (purposefully or not) from their own apps into other apps..."

But Apple already has "Open in..." management, that allows app creators to specify which other apps that data can be opened or manipulated in. Apple mentions this on their web site for iOS and Business:

http://www.apple.com/ios/business/

As lead of the Mobility practice at a software consulting company, I understand how important this is for our customers.

#3 User is offline   BobForsberg 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:14 AM

The pre-Windows crowd ripped Apple Computers claiming they were toys and only DOS could handle the enterprise of the time. Apple is the mainstay of corporate and private lives today and Nokia, Blackberry, Dell and Gateway are yesterdays industries.

Both my sons, now over 30 have Apple iPhones, countless iPods, iPads and iMacs at home, eventhough their schools used Windows PCs in high schools and colleges they attended.

Those who pump up Microsoft and their wares being superior to Apple will be going the same way as Ballmer.

#4 User is offline   MrFartyPants 

• Pip

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

Half of the phones in my computer-oriented company are Samsung phones. And that's not to say they're the only Android brand in here -- there are a scattering of Motorola, HTC, LG, et al. And all of them are running a version of Android that's being kept up to date by Google, being pushed newer versions of Google's own software, the equivalent of iOS "system updates". Nine out of ten? Not by a long shot.

AirDrop is a gimmick. It's not available to users of older iPhones (4S or below) -- part of Apple's self-servicing fragmentation choice. You appear to have left out that detail. So unless you're forcing your employees to upgrade, most people won't have that. My antiquated Galaxy S2 has Wi-Fi direct, despite being about as old as the 4S. And, of course, Android allows a bevy of 3rd-party sharing options Apple just can't manage.

Another gimmick: The newly free office suite by Apple. Sure, it's free, but only to new users of new phones; everybody else is left in the dust. Can you get iWork if you've just upgraded to an iPhone 5S? Doubtful. Google recently released an office suite for free, to ALL Android and iPhone users, regardless of their recent purchase history.

#5 User is offline   melgross 

• PipPip

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:36 AM

MrFartyPants said:

Half of the phones in my computer-oriented company are Samsung phones. And that's not to say they're the only Android brand in here -- there are a scattering of Motorola, HTC, LG, et al. And all of them are running a version of Android that's being kept up to date by Google, being pushed newer versions of Google's own software, the equivalent of iOS "system updates". Nine out of ten? Not by a long shot. AirDrop is a gimmick. It's not available to users of older iPhones (4S or below) -- part of Apple's self-servicing fragmentation choice. You appear to have left out that detail. So unless you're forcing your employees to upgrade, most people won't have that. My antiquated Galaxy S2 has Wi-Fi direct, despite being about as old as the 4S. And, of course, Android allows a bevy of 3rd-party sharing options Apple just can't manage. Another gimmick: The newly free office suite by Apple. Sure, it's free, but only to new users of new phones; everybody else is left in the dust. Can you get iWork if you've just upgraded to an iPhone 5S? Doubtful. Google recently released an office suite for free, to ALL Android and iPhone users, regardless of their recent purchase history.

Apparently, your company cares little about security, as Android has few areas in which is excels. I also hope that all the malware available doesn't come back to bit you. You work in a company that seems strangely out of touch.

#6 User is offline   kentallard 

• Pip

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

BobForsberg said:

The pre-Windows crowd ripped Apple Computers claiming they were toys and only DOS could handle the enterprise of the time. Apple is the mainstay of corporate and private lives today and Nokia, Blackberry, Dell and Gateway are yesterdays industries. Both my sons, now over 30 have Apple iPhones, countless iPods, iPads and iMacs at home, eventhough their schools used Windows PCs in high schools and colleges they attended. Those who pump up Microsoft and their wares being superior to Apple will be going the same way as Ballmer.

How nice that someone has a memory in this memory deficient world. As an early Mac user, I was mocked by DOS heads for playing with a toy. Then Windows suddenly had a GUI, Apple became Microsoft's R & D department, and DOS heads moved on to mocking the internet and Netscape - and MS soon adopted the browser as it's user interface.

It never ends with these folks.

#7 User is offline   kentallard 

• Pip

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:51 AM

MrFartyPants said:

AirDrop is a gimmick. It's not available to users of older iPhones (4S or below) -- part of Apple's self-servicing fragmentation choice. You appear to have left out that detail.

Odd argument. So if a new app or technology doesn't work on older computers, it is a gimmick? That means virtually every computer app or technology ever made is a gimmick, because eventually new stuff doesn't work on older computers.

This is a unwavering quality of computing. If you want the new apps you have to get the new hardware. It certainly is frustrating, but it is hardly unique to AirDrop.

#8 User is offline   kboone34 

• PipPip

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

MrFartyPants said:

Half of the phones in my computer-oriented company are Samsung phones. And that's not to say they're the only Android brand in here -- there are a scattering of Motorola, HTC, LG, et al. And all of them are running a version of Android that's being kept up to date by Google, being pushed newer versions of Google's own software, the equivalent of iOS "system updates". Nine out of ten? Not by a long shot. AirDrop is a gimmick. It's not available to users of older iPhones (4S or below) -- part of Apple's self-servicing fragmentation choice. You appear to have left out that detail. So unless you're forcing your employees to upgrade, most people won't have that. My antiquated Galaxy S2 has Wi-Fi direct, despite being about as old as the 4S. And, of course, Android allows a bevy of 3rd-party sharing options Apple just can't manage. Another gimmick: The newly free office suite by Apple. Sure, it's free, but only to new users of new phones; everybody else is left in the dust. Can you get iWork if you've just upgraded to an iPhone 5S? Doubtful. Google recently released an office suite for free, to ALL Android and iPhone users, regardless of their recent purchase history.

YES iWorks office suite is for every new Apple product. iPhone , iPad iMac, 5s and 5c upgrades

#9 User is offline   marshallplace 

• Pip

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

melgross said:

Apparently, your company cares little about security, as Android has few areas in which is excels. I also hope that all the malware available doesn't come back to bit you. You work in a company that seems strangely out of touch.

He most likely works in a company that allows BYOD or bring your own device, which is an internal security policy that contributed to the death of Blackberry and growth of iOS and Android in the enterprise. Inherently BYOD in itself is not a secure policy, but a lot of organization had to cave as popularity of iOS and Android grew. I find your statement quite funny, as a sys admin.

BobForsberg said:

The pre-Windows crowd ripped Apple Computers claiming they were toys and only DOS could handle the enterprise of the time. Apple is the mainstay of corporate and private lives today and Nokia, Blackberry, Dell and Gateway are yesterdays industries.

Both my sons, now over 30 have Apple iPhones, countless iPods, iPads and iMacs at home, eventhough their schools used Windows PCs in high schools and colleges they attended.

Those who pump up Microsoft and their wares being superior to Apple will be going the same way as Ballmer.

If you think Microsoft is going bye-bye in the enterprise market, you obviously have never administered a server or understand the costs associated with full scale enterprise switch off of Microsoft. You are clearly delusional. You are talking about systems and server applications that have been in place for many years. At best you could migrate workstations off of Windows and handle Windows business applications through Citrix or RDP which has an Apple client.

#10 User is offline   wardoggie 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

How to spot a shill:

http://i.imgur.com/38MH5P2.png

All made within 3 minutes.

#11 User is offline   wardoggie 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:24 PM

View Postmarshallplace, on 07 October 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

BobForsberg said:

If you think Microsoft is going bye-bye in the enterprise market, you obviously have never administered a server or understand the costs associated with full scale enterprise switch off of Microsoft. You are clearly delusional. You are talking about systems and server applications that have been in place for many years. At best you could migrate workstations off of Windows and handle Windows business applications through Citrix or RDP which has an Apple client.

I agree that Microsoft is not going to be replaced in the enterprise any time soon, but that's not because of the superiority of their software. As you pointed out, it's because they're ubiquitous and difficult/expensive to replace.

#12 User is offline   calaverasgrande 

• Pip

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

what a load. I work in enterprise IT. Part of my job duties include amdinsitation of wireless devices. IOS7 is buggy as hell and not safe for general use in a production environment.
Apple should get it's act together in regards to Exchange based email, calendars and contacts. We are so sick of having to wait for the 3rd or fourth patch before a new IOS release is safe to use.

#13 User is offline   WolfgangMozart 

• Pip

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

No one really needs Microsoft except for IT guys who swear it's indispensable. It's not. What's worse, no one believes these inane MSFT justifications anymore.

#14 User is offline   Bialystock 

• PipPip

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:34 AM

melgross said:

MrFartyPants said
Half of the phones in my computer-oriented company are Samsung phones. And that's not to say they're the only Android brand in here -- there are a scattering of Motorola, HTC, LG, et al. And all of them are running a version of Android that's being kept up to date by Google, being pushed newer versions of Google's own software, the equivalent of iOS "system updates". Nine out of ten? Not by a long shot. AirDrop is a gimmick. It's not available to users of older iPhones (4S or below) -- part of Apple's self-servicing fragmentation choice. You appear to have left out that detail. So unless you're forcing your employees to upgrade, most people won't have that. My antiquated Galaxy S2 has Wi-Fi direct, despite being about as old as the 4S. And, of course, Android allows a bevy of 3rd-party sharing options Apple just can't manage. Another gimmick: The newly free office suite by Apple. Sure, it's free, but only to new users of new phones; everybody else is left in the dust. Can you get iWork if you've just upgraded to an iPhone 5S? Doubtful. Google recently released an office suite for free, to ALL Android and iPhone users, regardless of their recent purchase history. Apparently, your company cares little about security, as Android has few areas in which is excels. I also hope that all the malware available doesn't come back to bit you. You work in a company that seems strangely out of touch.

Apparently you are choosing to ignore all the security flaws in iOS7.

Apple is pushing it never the less. My iPod Touch 5 is having battery issues, I am in the invidious position that if I put it in for repair it will probably have iOS7 installed on it against my wishes.

Apple Store employees mouth some nonsense about that is all that is on Apple's servers. When I asked well what happens to those owners of older iPhones/iPods/iPads that don't support iOS7? do they get iOS6? if so where from? and I got the silent walk away.

Apple really needs a "No thinking aloud" sign posted on their doors.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users