Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Advice from an Apple tech: Battle the dust bunnies - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Advice from an Apple tech: Battle the dust bunnies

#15 User is offline   MRBarrett 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:19 PM

Back in May of 2012 my iMac would no longer boot so I took it to the genius bar. They initially couldn't get it to boot either and thought that I would need to replace the power supply. When I returned the next day they said that they just took it apart, cleaned it and then it worked like new. Don't know exactly how they cleaned it but they didn't charge me anything. I should add however that I took the opportunity to buy a new MacBook Pro which might be why they didn't charge me for fixing my iMac.

#16 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:16 PM

View PostMRBarrett, on 12 October 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

Back in May of 2012 my iMac would no longer boot so I took it to the genius bar. They initially couldn't get it to boot either and thought that I would need to replace the power supply. When I returned the next day they said that they just took it apart, cleaned it and then it worked like new. Don't know exactly how they cleaned it but they didn't charge me anything. I should add however that I took the opportunity to buy a new MacBook Pro which might be why they didn't charge me for fixing my iMac.

Previous iMac needed a pair of suction cups to lift off the glass, then remove the display etc.

The new ones require heat and adhesive cutting around the edge of the glass to take it apart ... in other words real serviceability progress.

#17 User is offline   kosh 

• PipPip

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

Instead of berating people for not keeping their Macs clean inside, how can they if Apple does not give a damn about serviceability of systems like the iMac? Or the MacBook Air and Mac Pro Retinas which don't use normal screws? I suppose it would be easier to just blame the customers for not working in a sterile cleanroom and wearing a bunny suit while using their Macs.

#18 User is offline   thisisrhubarb 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:15 AM

MarkJReed5jau said:

So I should listen to the guy who forgot to clean his computer? Who bought a power supply before even cracking the case open? Really?

He made a mistake, and wrote this to prevent more people making the same mistake as him. You can choose not to follow his advice but don't be a jerk about it.

#19 User is offline   JMHammer 

• PipPip

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:02 AM

MRBarrett said:

Raymondo17 said
>So how do you clean the insides of an iMac?< I'd like to know as well! Just this past weekend I approached my sister's noisy iMac with a can of compressed air and found that, unlike my Mac Pro, Apple apparently doesn't want you on the inside of that machine. I dutifully spritzed some compressed air into any crevice I could find, but I doubt it did any good.

It did more harm than good, if it did anything at all. You never want to blow air *in* to a computer's vent while the case is closed. All you're doing in that case is moving the dust around and possibly causing it to clot up so that it can cause some real problems.

#20 User is offline   PRoth 

• PipPip

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

How timely is this article! My 2008 iMac just died... I think it's the NVIDIA crap on the logic board... and DUST. About two years ago, I had the hard drive die and it was under AppleCare, so they replaced it, and they dusted the system for me. Since then, it hasn't been dusted. I had to now take it apart to remove the hard drive, and wow, was it ever dusty and I have no doubt that's what's caused it to die (overheat). I am hoping to replace this iMac with a Mac Pro, one of the reasons being I hope it's easier to dust, the other it doesn't have NVIDIA crap... among others. Should mention, before the 2008 iMac, I had a G4 PowerMac from 1999. It remained completely functional until I retired it in 2008 because I couldn't keep upgrading the OS and it was getting slow. The iMac form factor is increasingly smaller and more difficult to dust yourself. It's like servicing cars that now require the "special" effing tool.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users