Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: The Macalope: Disappointment city - Macworld Forums

Jump to content

  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Macalope: Disappointment city

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

  • Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot
  • Posts: 34,402
  • Joined: 30-November 07

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:30 AM

Post your comments for The Macalope: Disappointment city here
0

#2 User is offline   JustAdComics 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 43
  • Joined: 23-June 12

  Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:35 AM

I'd ask if these pundits have any shred of shame, dignity or intelligence left in their festering carcasses, but I already know the answer.
1

#3 User is offline   bilbot 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 30-April 05

  Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:43 AM

Evidently, investors didn’t have much faith in Apple’s new devices …

Yet, as I read this article, APPL sellers are demanding $500.00 per share!
Markets fluctuate, and these pundits are there to "fluct" you whenever they can.
1

#4 User is offline   Edge35 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 40
  • Joined: 24-August 12

  Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:46 AM

You know who must be really getting killed in market share? Mercedes Benz.

I saw, like, a ton of Corollas but not as many Mercedes.

Although the folks driving a Benz did look a lot happier...

This post has been edited by Edge35: 15 October 2013 - 06:51 AM

2

#5 User is offline   quakerotis 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 459
  • Joined: 12-June 07

  Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:54 AM

Can you get one of those old phones with the crank that also runs Android?
0

#6 User is offline   brianvictor7 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 50
  • Joined: 03-November 12

  Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:49 AM

"Watch now as Mattera rubs two data points together and creates a raging fire of dumb."

Wow? I wonder if you can cook with raging fires of dumb? Could be a whole new industry if someone can get that to work! Heck, they could brand it iDumb and make a fortune.
0

#7 User is offline   brianvictor7 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 50
  • Joined: 03-November 12

  Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:49 AM

bilbot said:

Evidently, investors didn’t have much faith in Apple’s new devices …
Yet, as I read this article, APPL sellers are demanding $500.00 per share!
Markets fluctuate, and these pundits are there to "fluct" you whenever they can.


The irony wasn't lost on me either ;-)
0

#8 User is offline   brianvictor7 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 50
  • Joined: 03-November 12

  Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

"Everyone wants big phones."
There is some truth to this, but not as much as pundits think. Personally I would love a larger screen on my iPhone. And Apple very likely will provide one next year. But the real reason I want one is because I tend to try to use my iPhone for document composition while away from home: something probably better accomplished by an iPad or Macbook which I'm seriously considering purchasing in a few weeks.
1

#9 User is offline   brianvictor7 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 50
  • Joined: 03-November 12

  Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:59 AM

"apps running on the iPhone 5s crash twice as often compared to earlier models."
I don't know about anyone else but iOS7 is defnitely crashing apps on my iPhone 4S more often. I had to reinstall from zero because iTunes (yes you read that app name right), kept crashing. All this happened after iOS7. Does this bother me? A little. Same as the bugs on the fresh iO5 and iOS6 bothered me. The fact is that any new OS will have bugs, but history shows that the stability updates are most assuredly on the way.
0

#10 User is offline   wogsinheat 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 33
  • Joined: 11-April 08

  Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:09 AM

Without justifying anything that the motley fool is saying about Apple's sales or share prices, there is a rather important point buried in the dumb verbiage: Apple is getting beaten in emerging markets by the likes of Samsung, Xolo and Micromax.

These are markets in which you buy a phone upfront and then choose to continue with your existing carrier or switch. A goodish Android phone from Samsung would set you back about US$ 300-350 (Other manufacturers offer the same specs for 200-250). The iPhone 5C starts at US$ 700. To people who aren't very familiar with Apple or iOS (or even smartphones for that matter), that seems much too steep a difference.

Every new Android phone launched in these markets is also large (aka phablet, which sounds like a disease), and that is what people seem to want.

Even Windows phones from Nokia outsell Apple in India.

Last, local developers have started launching apps for Android before iOS - in some cases the iOS version is never even part of their plan. Of course, no one is making any money yet on android apps.

At some point lack of presence will lead to invisibility - and could lead to being pushed out of the market altogether.
0

#11 User is offline   RipRagged 

  • Member
  • Group: Macworld Insiders
  • Posts: 201
  • Joined: 18-April 08

  Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:16 AM

Apple is doomed. DOOMED. Their new product(s) SUCK. That song has been the underscore of me buying AAPL since 1999.

The Mötley Fool guys aren't even real pundits. Taking investment advice from them is plain nuts.
0

#12 User is offline   brianvictor7 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 50
  • Joined: 03-November 12

  Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

wogsinheat said:

Every new Android phone launched in these markets is also large (aka phablet, which sounds like a disease), and that is what people seem to want.
Even Windows phones from Nokia outsell Apple in India.
Last, local developers have started launching apps for Android before iOS - in some cases the iOS version is never even part of their plan. Of course, no one is making any money yet on android apps.
At some point lack of presence will lead to invisibility - and could lead to being pushed out of the market altogether.


When Apple releases a larger screen size (likely to be next year), we'll see how it sells. Also, what is the battery life on the larger phones? How comfortable are they in a pants pocket? I honestly have tried one yet.
0

#13 User is offline   lwdesign 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 965
  • Joined: 28-September 05

  Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

I'd LOVE a larger screen on my iPhone, however, until there's an iPhone with a larger screen, I'll stick with my 4S. The size of the screen is secondary to the OS, quality of build and service I get from Apple.

In the Windows and Android world, specifications are EVERYTHING, because they're the only things that differentiate the offerings from different manufacturers. I recently went out a bought a 20" Lenovo Windows 8 computer to view web sites I've designed on my Macs to ensure they look good in WinBrowsers. It was insanely cheap at $450 for an all-in-one desktop and had GREAT specifications in screen size, RAM, hard drive, IO ports, foot warmers and cup holders. Unfortunately, it still had Windows installed, and Win8 is probably the worst version that's come down the pike. I can get around on XP, Vista and Win7, but Win8 was maddening and infuriatingly unintuitive as they could possibly make it.

Which is why I stick with Apple products. Not everything is perfect and I could suggest many improvements, but I know I can depend on products that are elegantly designed, easy to use, extremely functional and that help me to get my job done and keep my life in order.
0

#14 User is offline   brianvictor7 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 50
  • Joined: 03-November 12

  Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

lwdesign said:

I'd LOVE a larger screen on my iPhone, however, until there's an iPhone with a larger screen, I'll stick with my 4S. The size of the screen is secondary to the OS, quality of build and service I get from Apple.
In the Windows and Android world, specifications are EVERYTHING, because they're the only things that differentiate the offerings from different manufacturers. I recently went out a bought a 20" Lenovo Windows 8 computer to view web sites I've designed on my Macs to ensure they look good in WinBrowsers. It was insanely cheap at $450 for an all-in-one desktop and had GREAT specifications in screen size, RAM, hard drive, IO ports, foot warmers and cup holders. Unfortunately, it still had Windows installed, and Win8 is probably the worst version that's come down the pike. I can get around on XP, Vista and Win7, but Win8 was maddening and infuriatingly unintuitive as they could possibly make it.
Which is why I stick with Apple products. Not everything is perfect and I could suggest many improvements, but I know I can depend on products that are elegantly designed, easy to use, extremely functional and that help me to get my job done and keep my life in order.


Tried a Toshiba last month with great specs and price. Took it back less than a week later because I just couldn't stomach Windows again. Already have to deal with it at work all day. I'm seriously considering holding onto my iPhone 4S for another year too. It is a fine phone.
0

Share this topic:


  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users