Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: connecting late 2006 macbook to HDTV - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

connecting late 2006 macbook to HDTV Lose video signal when audio cable is removed

#1 User is offline   tcast 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

I apologize if I'm breaking forum decorum here, I searched previous threads and could not find any posts about the specific problem I am having and I didn't want to post to an old thread for fear that no one would see it.

I am attempting to connect my super old (late 2006) macbook to my hdtv through a mini DVI to HDMI converter and a stereo cable (headphone jack on one end, red and white inputs on the other). The picture works fine, but the audio isn't working. I'd like to send the audio straight from my macbook to a speaker system (I've done this for audio only and it works) but when I unplug the stereo cable from my macbook or from my tv I lose the picture even though the mini DVI/HDMI connection is still set up. This happens even if shut down the computer and the tv, unplug the cable and then restart the tv and computer. After the restart, when I select the HDMI input on the TV, the TV says that it does not detect a device.

When I initially plugged the macbook into my television I was able to remove the audio cable from the macbook without losing the picture from the tv screen. Once I had the idea to circumvent the audio on the tv entirely I lost the ability to unplug the audio cable and still have the video work. I don't understand why unplugging the audio affects the video. The only thing I can think of is that the tv or the computer created sort of memory of the original set up and is now requiring the exact initial set up to work.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users