Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: How to make a bootable Mavericks install drive - Macworld Forums

• (16 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to make a bootable Mavericks install drive

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

Post your comments for How to make a bootable Mavericks install drive here

Editor's note:

To those posting about problems they're having, I've tested each of the three methods dozens of times on multiple Macs, and using multiple types of media, so I've confirmed that they work reliably.

That said, I am trying to figure out why things aren't working for a few individuals. When posting a message about a problem, please include the following:
- Which method you are using.
- What OS X version you're performing the procedure under.
- What type of media you're using for the installer drive.

Please also make sure that, as explained in the article, your installer drive is formatted as Mac OS X Extended with a GUID partition map. If you're using the createinstallermedia method, be sure you've renamed your destination drive to Untitled, and you're running OS X 10.7 or later--the procedure won't work otherwise.

#2 User is offline   motzkopf 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:16 PM

The easiest way to find "BaseSystem.dmg" is to use the Find command from the File menu, and search for "BaseSystem.dmg" with File Visibility set to Invisible Items. Double click the file and you're done.

#3 User is offline   Dan Frakes 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

View Postmotzkopf, on 22 October 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

The easiest way to find "BaseSystem.dmg" is to use the Find command from the File menu, and search for "BaseSystem.dmg" with File Visibility set to Invisible Items. Double click the file and you're done.

That works, but visibility isn't a default search criteria—you need to go into the Other dialog to access it. I think copying/pasting that simple Terminal command is easier (and quicker).
Dan Frakes / Senior Editor, Macworld

#4 User is offline   dicx 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

My easy way was downlading the installer, taking an 8GB flasdh drive, erasing it calling it Untitled and running this in terminal:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

#5 User is offline   Dan Frakes 

• Advanced Member

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:48 PM

View Postdicx, on 22 October 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

My easy way was downlading the installer, taking an 8GB flasdh drive, erasing it calling it Untitled and running this in terminal:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

Yep, this is a new program provided by Apple. I'm adding the createinstallmedia method to the article.

#6 User is online   biver 

• Pip

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:56 PM

Typo: Mavericks installer that installs 10.8.1 right off the bat (YOU MEANT 10. _9_ .1)

Just thought you'd like to know.

#7 User is offline   Dan Frakes 

• Advanced Member

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

View Postbiver, on 22 October 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

Typo: Mavericks installer that installs 10.8.1 right off the bat (YOU MEANT 10. _9_ .1)

Just thought you'd like to know.

Thanks!

#8 User is offline   braintoniq 

• PipPip

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:32 PM

This is so odd... I downloaded Mavericks from the App Store today, and it looked like it was downloading to the Downloads folder (including showing the progress bar in bottom of the Downloads folder icon, as per normal). Once it was done, the install window opened, and I successfully installed it. However, the .dmg file is nowhere to be found. I've search for the name, for "any file over 4 gigs, everywhere. It's not in the Downloads, the Applications, no where. I definitely didn't delete it, and yet I'm definitely running 10.9 Mavericks!

#9 User is offline   Dan Frakes 

• Advanced Member

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

View Postbraintoniq, on 22 October 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

This is so odd... I downloaded Mavericks from the App Store today, and it looked like it was downloading to the Downloads folder (including showing the progress bar in bottom of the Downloads folder icon, as per normal). Once it was done, the install window opened, and I successfully installed it. However, the .dmg file is nowhere to be found. I've search for the name, for "any file over 4 gigs, everywhere. It's not in the Downloads, the Applications, no where. I definitely didn't delete it, and yet I'm definitely running 10.9 Mavericks!

As I noted in our main install article, the installer is downloaded into your main Applications folder. If you leave it there, when you install Mavericks, the installation process actually deletes the installer.

#10 User is offline   Dan Frakes 

• Advanced Member

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

FYI: Now that I've had a chance to test it with the final release, I've added a third method, which uses Mavericks' new createinstallmedia program, to the article. This is probably the easiest method if you're comfortable with Terminal.

#11 User is offline   ScatteredFrog 

• Pip

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:04 PM

Say what you will about DVDs, but I'm still burning Mavericks to a DVD rather than trust a thumb drive. Thumb drives have always proven to me to be nothing more than temporary portability. They corrupt too easily and they get lost too easily.

At least with a DVD, I KNOW that it's going to be permanent, and it takes up very little physical space. If I use good quality media (which I always do -- Taiyo-Yuden Japanese-made discs) and store it properly, I'll never have a problem with it. Plus, if I ever need to downgrade in the future, it'll be there for me.

And have you ever tried to label a flash drive?

#12 User is offline   ScatteredFrog 

• Pip

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

Oh...and DVD media being slow? It's still a lot faster than Windows. *boom!*

#13 User is offline   csilvertooth 

• Pip

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

Dan Frakes said:

dicx said
My easy way was downlading the installer, taking an 8GB flasdh drive, erasing it calling it Untitled and running this in terminal: sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction Yep, this is a new program provided by Apple. I'm adding the createinstallmedia method to the article.

I took the liberty of creating an applescript that simplifies the process. Check it out here. http://musings.silve...-creation-tool/

#14 User is offline   Minimus 

• Pip

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

Followed these instructions,and the flash drive was successfully built/completed..

My problem im having is that when i do the restart and hold down the option key, the drive is not appearing im on a kingston Data Traveller, 100 G3 16gb ..!

Drive does show up when i connect it to the MBP

Share this topic:

• (16 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users