Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Should you do a "clean install" of Mavericks? - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Should you do a "clean install" of Mavericks?

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

Post your comments for Should you do a "clean install" of Mavericks? here

#2 User is offline   Falken 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

My IMac is setup with a bootcamp partition so my wife can use her Microsoft OS to connect to her work. Can I do a clean install on my Mac partition without affecting the bootcamp?

#3 User is offline   Dan Frakes 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:23 PM

View PostFalken, on 22 October 2013 - 03:43 PM, said:

My IMac is setup with a bootcamp partition so my wife can use her Microsoft OS to connect to her work. Can I do a clean install on my Mac partition without affecting the bootcamp?

As long as you just erase the Mac partition, your Boot Camp partition shouldn't be affected.
Dan Frakes / Senior Editor, Macworld

#4 User is offline   rossmosier 

• Pip

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

I have ms office on my Mac, if I do a clean install will I have to get a new license for it?

#5 User is offline   JimG 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

I'm giving my old 2009 Mac Pro to a friend. That, or selling it, would be a damned compelling reason to want to do a clean install.

#6 User is offline   Graetzsky89 

• Pip

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:33 AM

it says that i cant install it on my main drive because it has my time machine backups on it? i dont even use time machine? does anyone know how to get by this problem? thanks!

#7 User is offline   DavidErato 

• Pip

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:21 AM

Thanks for the article. I was planning on doing clean installs on my 2-2010 machines, but perhaps because of an issue with legacy iWork customers, I will wait another year for the good cleaning.

#8 User is offline   ecochica 

• Pip

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

So if I'm about to sell a Macbook Pro that I just wiped and reinstalled 10.6 which was the disk that it shipped with, could I upgrade to Mavericks? Or is the Mavericks download associated with my Apple ID?

#9 User is offline   Trevorjeffs 

• Pip

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:33 AM

I tried installing mavericks with a boot camp of windows 7, and it did not install a Recovery HD Partition. Anyone else have this issue?
I'm upgrading from lion 10.7.5

#10 User is offline   Dan Frakes 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:38 AM

View PostTrevorjeffs, on 24 October 2013 - 05:33 AM, said:

I tried installing mavericks with a boot camp of windows 7, and it did not install a Recovery HD Partition. Anyone else have this issue?
I'm upgrading from lion 10.7.5

The Lion installer should have installed the Recovery HD partition. Did it not? (There are instructions here for viewing that partition using Disk Utility: http://www.macworld....t_recovery.html )
Dan Frakes / Senior Editor, Macworld

#11 User is offline   maa72 

• Pip

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:57 AM

rossmosier said:

I have ms office on my Mac, if I do a clean install will I have to get a new license for it?

You should get full uninstall instructions from Microsoft available on the web. There are many steps to uninstall and is time consuming. You should completely uninstall Office 2011 to preserve your license. You can then reinstall Office, add your product ID and be good to go. If you just overwrite it, they will deny access as it would still be seen as an active license and it will see the new attempted install as an additional machine. When it uninstalls step by step, it removes any license info.
The only issue is that they have you move your Microsoft User Data folder, and then attempt to put it back where it belongs, but I have yet to have success with that part of it.

#12 User is offline   MacLadybug 

• Pip

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

This has been the easiest os install ever. I agree with the article. I too have an old iMac with a boot camp partition. I installed Mavericks and for the first time ever don't have to re-create the boot camp partition and reinstall Windows. Windows 7 works perfectly. Hopefully, I never have to reinstall Windoze again!

#13 User is offline   Walter56 

• Pip

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

Excellent article.

I am about to go for it but just had one doubt before that. Do the installed applications need to be updated/re-installed after installing Mavericks? For E.g. do I need to deactivate the Adobe CS5 I have installed on my computer and then re-install it afterwards?

Thanks.

#14 User is offline   bdam 

• Pip

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:47 AM

To perform a Clean Install, you can simply make an installer drive with a simple 8 gb USB key. Very, very straightforward with the excellent DiskMaker (freeware) http://liondiskmaker.com

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users