Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: What you need to know about Apple's free apps policy - Macworld Forums

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What you need to know about Apple's free apps policy

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

Post your comments for What you need to know about Apple's free apps policy here

#2 User is offline   trip1ex 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for clarifying the details!

#3 User is offline   Chezapeak 

• PipPip

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

Appreciate the clarification - sad there's no free update for those of us that bought iWorks on DVD rather than through the store. :(

#4 User is offline   mwreader 

• PipPip

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

I have both iPhoto and iMovie, 9.4.3 and 9.0.9 respectively and I bought them before the App store but they are not allowing me to identify them with the App Store. What now?

#5 User is offline   robgendreau 

• Pip

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

I think the policy for non Mac App Store versions of iPhoto 9 etc behave the same way as iWork non Mac App Store purchases. I have iPhoto 9.4.3 for example and I get no option to do anything but buy it again. I bought it a while ago on DVD.

#6 User is offline   Chezapeak 

• PipPip

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

It appears the new garageband does not recognize previous iLife 11 purchases via dvd that include the guitar lessons, loops, etc - so you have to download them all before hand via Garageband 6.

#7 User is offline   rewest 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

I did note purchase Keynote on the Mac App Store. I went through the process as though I was going to have to pay $19.99. I even had to confirm that I wanted to buy it since I didn't purchase from the Mac App Store. But, before the download began, I got a message saying that it would be free since I owned a previous copy of the app. :-)

#8 User is online   stevencombs 

• Pip

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:05 PM

Chezapeak said:

Appreciate the clarification - sad there's no free update for those of us that bought iWorks on DVD rather than through the store.

Agreed! There had been upgrades earlier via the old school software update. Don't understand why we can't authenticate and upgrade. Guess the free ride (over 4 years for me) is over. Time to shell out another $60 or apply that $60 to new hardware.

#9 User is offline   robgendreau 

• Pip

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:09 PM

stevencombs said:

Chezapeak said
Time to shell out another $60 or apply that $60 to new hardware.

Or spend that $60 on non-Apple software. There's some good stuff out there, and the pricing structure of the MAS gives you an incentive to think different.

#10 User is online   breun 

• Pip

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

I have iMovie '11 (9.0.9) and iPhoto '11 (9.4.3) installed from the iLife dvd, so not bought from the Mac App Store.

The article says I should be able to download th latest versions for free by going to the Mac App Store and accepting the old versions, but there's nothing to accept on the Update tab. :(

#11 User is offline   eish 

• Pip

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:39 PM

buy a mac, log into the app store, get the free apps on you account - take the mac back - boom you have the apps for free!

#12 User is offline   glj 

• PipPip

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:46 PM

Thanks for the clarification on the prices.

I tell people that if they want to compare the total cost of ownership of Mac vs. Windows, they should consider the cost of the operating system and of productivity software like Pages. If the software is $20 for all computers in your household (or now free in many cases), that lowers the total cost of ownership of a Mac.

(I don't know how Pages and Numbers compare to Word and Excel, but for my modest needs, Pages and Numbers are fine.)

I don't know why Apple doesn't advertise the low cost of its OS and iWork software. Well, with the prices dropping down to free in many cases, the news media will spread the word.

#13 User is offline   sdc30161 

• Pip

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

Mine were all listed as free updates. Granted, I've had this Macbook Air probably less than 6 weeks, so maybe that accounts for something? In any case, today I got a new operating system and quite a few updated apps. Good day to be an Apple customer!

#14 User is offline   pyang 

• Pip

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:14 PM

I had iWork '09 from Apple before the App Store was on the Mac. I was worried about having to spend more money to purchase the apps anew... until I noticed the Updates icon was badged "7" even though the exact updates weren't listed.

I quit the App Store app, relaunched it, and bam - Keynote, Pages, and Numbers were listed as free for me to download. When I clicked Update, it asked me to sign in with my Apple ID to register the apps to my account, and I'm downloading them now as we speak.

So I guess updating the App Store with this stuff was incomplete. Go check your updates tab!

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users