Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: iPad Air diary, day 1: Portrait of a new orientation - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

iPad Air diary, day 1: Portrait of a new orientation

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

Post your comments for iPad Air diary, day 1: Portrait of a new orientation here

#2 User is offline   j1h15233 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

Question 1 - If you decide to go back to the mini can you send that iPad air my way?

Question 2 - Serious this time. Assuming you have an iPhone 5S, do you find the lack of Touch ID in the new iPad to be annoying or a hassle?

#3 User is offline   goofyfoot 

• Pip

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for your first-day update. Question: to what extent have you used speech recognition/dictation on your iPad mini? For instance, Fantastical 2 trumpets its ability to take voice commands. And what about using Siri for creating and sending texts, or Dragon Speak for writing notes or emails?

The reason I'm asking is I can't thumb type--having spent the last 3 decades typing at 100 wpm on an IBM style (and now Unicomp) keyboard. And I prefer the form factor of the mini to the iPad Air. So I'm wondering about using the new iPad mini as a voice or speech driven device. (Unfortunately, I find the iPhone display just too small for most tasks I'd like to do on it, especially anything on the web or writing.)

I would appreciate your thoughts about the practicality of speech or voice as being the input device of choice on the iPad mini--especially with its beefier new brain.

Thanks!
Paul

#4 User is offline   goofyfoot 

• Pip

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

PS. I understand that your review is of the Air. But since you have lots of experience with the iPad mini--I'm asking what you think about using voice recognition on it as opposed to needing to get the larger-sized Air for typing with all fingers instead of just thumbs.

Paul

#5 User is offline   ducpham007 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:34 PM

I hate the new IOS 7. Every thing changed and not for the better!

#6 User is offline   JDW 

• PipPip

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:28 AM

Jason Snell wrote:
"...there were two kinds of reading that I basically stopped doing on my tablet: digital editions of print magazines..."

Seeing that Macworld Magazine has a Digital Edition, should we interpret the above comment to mean that those behind our favorite Mac publication are prodding us toward paper once again? ;-)

For what it's worth, I absolutely love Macworld in Retina glory on my iPad3. No beastly bar code rectangle marring the front cover, nor any printer glitches on the content inside. Videos and Podcasts are icing on the cake. The only down side is that I cannot pause the audio and come back to it later, but perhaps Macworld can address that.

All said, there are digital editions worth having, Mr. Snell! :-)

#7 User is offline   Mike 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:59 AM

Jason
Excellent material as always.

I'd like to know please how well the iPad Air displays a Zinio magazine eg. Macworld. Also a complex PDF eg. any Missing Manual.

Specifically, are you able to page through at top speed with stylus or finger without any stuttering ? Any noticeable speed difference between the iPad Air & an iPad 4 or iPad mini ?

Many thanks
Mike in the UK

#8 User is offline   Curlypaws 

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:54 AM

In theory I'd love digital magazines - convenience, quick delivery, access everywhere. But actually, they tend to be much slower to arrive than the paper versions (despite the postal service), awkward to navigate due to the constant need to zoom in and out (and often no electronic table of contents) and, worst of all, not even optimised for the device, merely being copies of the paper version. Until these fundamentals are tackled, I'll be sticking to the paper versions.

I'm very keen to hear how the iPad Air compares to the iPad mini - at the moment I'm leaning much more towards a retina mini, with a bluetooth keyboard when I need a lot of text input.

#9 User is offline   JDW 

• PipPip

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:49 AM

View PostCurlypaws, on 02 November 2013 - 01:54 AM, said:

In theory I'd love digital magazines - convenience, quick delivery, access everywhere. But actually, they tend to be much slower to arrive than the paper versions (despite the postal service), awkward to navigate due to the constant need to zoom in and out (and often no electronic table of contents) and, worst of all, not even optimised for the device, merely being copies of the paper version. Until these fundamentals are tackled, I'll be sticking to the paper versions.

Mr. Paws, I don't know anything about the Zinio edition of MacWorld, but MacWorld's own digital edition of the magazine is excellent. It arrives about the third of every month. So in a couple days I should be seeing the December 2013 issue of MacWorld appear in Newsstand on my iPad.

The only one major complaint I have about MacWorld's digital edition, which I have mentioned to them in their Feedback forum, is that we cannot pause the audio podcasts within the digital magazine, nor bookmark them so that we can come back to that part of the podcast later. There's also the smaller problem of the videos within the magazine not filling my entire iPad screen, but that is a smaller issue than the inability to pause or bookmark podcasts.

Lastly, I moved to Japan from California about 19 years ago. I continued to subscribe to MacWorld in its paper form until last year, paying almost US$70 for the magazine due to outrageous postal fees. I no longer have that expense anymore now that I subscribe to the digital edition. Also with the digital edition, I don't have magazines taking up space in my house, and I can search them very easily too. The digital edition is truly the way to go.

#10 User is offline   melaychie 

• Pip

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:03 AM

How fast is the charging time?
Thanks!

#11 User is offline   AntMCat 

• Pip

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:14 AM

As an iPad 3 owner, I'm concerned about excessive heat and lagging graphics. I highly doubt the powerful A7 chip will lag in the graphics department but overheating is still a concern to me. Thanks!

#12 User is offline   bitla 

• Pip

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:14 AM

Thank for highlighting just my dilemma. I have the(old) iPad mini and love it because of its size and weight, compared to the full iPad. But I do not understand your comment on reading digital magazines. I read the digital New Scientist without any problem. One zip of my fingers and the text is as big as I want it. Just wonderful. So probably I'll go for the iPad mini again :-))

#13 User is offline   wardoggie 

• Veteran

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

View Postducpham007, on 01 November 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

I hate the new IOS 7. Every thing changed and not for the better!

I love the new iOS 7. Everything changed and for the better! (What this has to do with an iPad article is beyond me; maybe astroturfers need to do a better job?)

#14 User is offline   Jigsaw333 

• Pip

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:20 AM

"There is something solid about the ergonomics of the iPad Air (and the previous full-size iPads) laying in my lap."

"Lying," not "laying."

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users