Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Macbook Air File System & External Hard Drive Question - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Macbook Air File System & External Hard Drive Question Knowledgable with OS X but have a puzzling question.

#1 User is offline   techwhore 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:13 PM

After a clean install.....is it possible to move entire file system of my macbook air to an external hard drive, besides the installation file of course, and set it as default so everything goes to that disk instead of my internal SSD..??? I want nothing on the SSD except what has to be and move every single thing to EXT HDD as default....

if so please lemme know.

thanks

This post has been edited by techwhore: 07 November 2013 - 10:14 PM

#2 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:28 AM

View Posttechwhore, on 07 November 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

After a clean install.....is it possible to move entire file system of my macbook air to an external hard drive, besides the installation file of course, and set it as default so everything goes to that disk instead of my internal SSD..??? I want nothing on the SSD except what has to be and move every single thing to EXT HDD as default....

if so please lemme know.

thanks

Nothing "has to be" on the SSD and I'm not sure why you'd want to keep only the installation file there. Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper! are both popular options for replicating an entire volume.

#3 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

I am not completely sure I understand what you are after.

Do you want to boot off the external drive rather then the internal SSD? If so, then cloning the internal drive to the external drive using either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! as bastion suggested is what you want.

Or do you want all your data files (aka your "home" folder) on an external drive and only have the Mac OS and application (i.e. things like Word, etc or any other third party application you might have installed) on the internal drive?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users