• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

Post your comments for Apple's Aperture update fixes face detection here

#2 User is offline   wrtcedar 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

This update requires Mavericks. The Mountain Lion version of Aperture was orphaned with annoying export bugs.

#3 User is offline   Roadtrip 

• Pip

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:10 PM

Apple doesn't care about their loyal followers. Every update to their software excludes users of older operating systems, and updated operating systems exclude older Macs. My iMac CAN run Mavericks, but my Mac Book is restricted to Lion. I'm on Snow Leopard because Lion was buggy for me (wi-fi in Lion was totally unreliable). I purchased Aperture but I'm left with version 3.2.4 because newer versions require a newer OS, and a newer OS requires newer hardware. Thanks a lot, Apple...hell, even Adobe still supports OS 10.6.8, but I hate Adobe. Guess that's what you were counting on....

#4 User is offline   RicD 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

Microsoft will have supported XP for thirteen years, 2001 through 2014. Apple is smarter than that, on top of that the hardware does not support the newer free OS.

I do not like that as well, yet it is a fact of life. Either upgrade or be left behind. Systems do not quit working, all the apps we use remain as good so there really is not any beef with Apple.

Heck, I am still running iPhone 3GS works perfect. The issue is many of my apps updates and upgrades only work on iOS 7.x. Such is life, as it is my choice to upgrade my hardware or not, thus I am not miffed at Apple.

#5 User is offline   Roadtrip 

• Pip

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:51 AM

RicD said:

Microsoft will have supported XP for thirteen years, 2001 through 2014. Apple is smarter than that, on top of that the hardware does not support the newer free OS. I do not like that as well, yet it is a fact of life. Either upgrade or be left behind. Systems do not quit working, all the apps we use remain as good so there really is not any beef with Apple. Heck, I am still running iPhone 3GS works perfect. The issue is many of my apps updates and upgrades only work on iOS 7.x. Such is life, as it is my choice to upgrade my hardware or not, thus I am not miffed at Apple.

It wouldn't cost any more for Apple's software updates/upgrades to be compatible with older OS's, yet they choose not to do it. Aperture, Digital Camera Raw and other programs update for new camera models that are released. But if I were to buy a new digital camera, the software I use (Aperture) wouldn't support it because I can't upgrade. I like my iMac and Mac Book - both work for me. It's too much for Apple to make software upgrades compatible with Snow Leopard (or even older OS's)?

#6 User is offline   trichardlin 

• PipPip

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:41 AM

Roadtrip said:

Apple doesn't care about their loyal followers...

You are a bit self-conflicting here. If you are an Apple's loyal follower, why don't you have the latest hardware? :)

#7 User is offline   dfp0 

• Pip

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:55 AM

Roadtrip said:

It wouldn't cost any more for Apple's software updates/upgrades to be compatible with older OS's, yet they choose not to do it. Aperture, Digital Camera Raw and other programs update for new camera models that are released. But if I were to buy a new digital camera, the software I use (Aperture) wouldn't support it because I can't upgrade. I like my iMac and Mac Book - both work for me. It's too much for Apple to make software upgrades compatible with Snow Leopard (or even older OS's)?

Sustaining backward compatibility can be massively expensive, especially for a application as complex as Aperture. That expense can mean engineering hours spent porting the software, but can also mean features not added because the code becomes too difficult to maintain; preserving backward compatibility crippled Microsoft forward motion for decades.

If you're on Snow Leopard, you are running an OS version that started being deprecated at the release of Lion in October 2010. The last update for Snow Leopard was summer 2011. In a nutshell, you're running an OS that's been obsolete for 3 years. Your reluctance to upgrade, for free, to Mavericks suggests that you're also running pretty old hardware. Ned Ludd would be proud :)

Of course Apple continues to update their software to support new models of cameras, keeping pace with the future. Is that really surprising?

#8 User is offline   ArUGaetu 

• PipPip

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:23 AM

This is a first. I've never seen Apple abandon users mid-version. I could understand Aperture 4.0 to be for Mavericks only, but to own a valid version of 3.4 and not be allowed to update to 3.5 is just plain fkin' cold.

#9 User is offline   ntomallen 

• Pip

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

ArUGaetu said:

This is a first. I've never seen Apple abandon users mid-version. I could understand Aperture 4.0 to be for Mavericks only, but to own a valid version of 3.4 and not be allowed to update to 3.5 is just plain fkin' cold.

C’mon man Mavericks is free. And runs on everything Mountain Lion is. So basically, you get a free (substantial) OS upgrade and you can get a free (very small, aparrantly) Aperture update.

#10 User is offline   jhpadillaleal 

• Pip

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

It's not so curious that it requires Mavericks since its free to download for any system that supports it.

I have a 2011 17 inch MacBook Pro Quad i7 that even showing its age, it still allows me to work in time-critical photos with my Aperture + Nik Collection combo, bugs notwithstanding.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users