#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:00 AM

Post your comments for The Macalope Weekly: Hard lessons to learn here

#2 User is offline   Dennistrator 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:43 AM

Congratulations to the Macalope. Your strategy of exposing lazy punditry and starving it by not providing links is having an effect. The pundits have the choice of writing better articles or complaining about the Macalope. Once again, the lazy ones have taken the easy way out.
Great work. May your weekend be happy and profitable.

This post has been edited by Dennistrator: 16 November 2013 - 05:46 AM

#3 User is offline   Saklad5 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:04 AM

Dennistrator said:

Congratulations to the Macalope. Your strategy of exposing lazy punditry and starving it by not providing links is having an effect. The pundits have the choice of writing better articles or complaining about the Macalope. Once again, the lazy ones have taken the easy way out. Great work. May your weekend be happy and profitable.

Exactly. It is sad when you need a "Daily Show" analogue for such a specific category.

#4 User is offline   lwdesign 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:04 AM

I love that these Nostradumbasses are actually reading your articles and telling you how unfair you are to hurt their feelings and not provide links. Illogic and sloppy research must be brought out of the dark, sordid places where its nightmarish quality can be cleanly and neatly evaporated in the light of reason. This is what I count on the Macalope to do, and why my Saturday mornings are always a bright spot in my week.
Thanks Macalope. You make me proud that logic and actual business acumen are still alive in the world at large.

#5 User is offline   wesley96 

• PipPip

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:10 AM

As much as I hate to defend Samsung here, there seems to be a bit of "lost in translation" going on.

I've leafed through the Korean news articles reporting on David Eun's words. He was trying to say that Samsung was all about having entrepreneurship, which encompasses not only about starting a new business, but revitalizing an existing one by taking on a fresh business opportunity.

In other words, "entrepreneurial" isn't to say that Samsung is like a startup / small business / mom & pop company, but more like it frequently made new inroads to new business opportunities. I think that's pretty accurate. That's why it makes military weapons and dishwashers, while selling insurances and running a huge amusement park at the same time.

Samsung is more powerful than even the Korean government. It's not fooling anyone about that, and that interview didn't intend to, either.

#6 User is offline   tildeboy 

• Pip

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:20 AM

I fully support the not linking to click-bait sites. You give proper attribution and enough information for people to google the sites in question if they do want to review the source material and that is more than sufficient to satisfy any reasonable person.

#7 User is offline   JimG 

• PipPip

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:25 AM

Profit is the whole point of business. The flawed Harvard Business School model dictates that the smallest outlay for the biggest short-term profit is the greatest good. That very thing should make the big tech-business writers fall head-over-heels in love with Apple. Big profits NOW is their anthem. Make the most money NOW is the greatest good.

Apple also has a long game to stay in business, maybe that is what they don't like.

What always seems lacking is examining Apple products as a family of parts that taken together are even bigger than the sum of its parts. The desktop, tablet, phone, and TV box working in ever more perfect harmony is what draws me in and I fear that a lot of people don't really get that. There is no seamless equivalent to this hardware ecosystem controlled and perfected by any other single company. That is a horn that needs tooting, loud and proud. The content ecosystem — for me — is negligible in comparison.

The look and feel of the operating systems are very important to me because every app and how they work is intimately tied to it. And the grander unified hardware and software ecosystems is a beautiful thing to experience. Only Apple has that nailed down and it gets better and better without any real fanfare.

The latest iMac was released without fanfare. The latest retina iPad Mini was released without any fanfare. Regular improvements to Siri are released in absolute secrecy (no one announced when you could ask Siri for a college sports score, one day it wasn't there and the next day it was). There seems to be a trend toward not directly announcing the precise release of significant new things. That is true power and success, being able to quietly release important new things and having customers bothering to find them and lap them up. Truly profound success is not having to push advertising to force products into people's awareness. Be great and people will follow, no need to toot your own horn.

#8 User is offline   solarenergy 

• Pip

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:43 AM

Dear Mr.Koetsier:

I am writing to you from my new Retina mini, which I bought two days ago, despite the efforts of a Best Buy salesperson to steer me over to the Samsung.

Of course, had I read your piece first I would have been unable to purchase it, knowing as you do that Apple was about to go out of business.

Hopefully, they will stay in business long enough so that I don't look like a fool buying this complete useless device that cost so much money.

:)

#9 User is offline   KPOM 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:00 AM

wesley96 said:

As much as I hate to defend Samsung here, there seems to be a bit of "lost in translation" going on. I've leafed through the Korean news articles reporting on David Eun's words. He was trying to say that Samsung was all about having entrepreneurship, which encompasses not only about starting a new business, but revitalizing an existing one by taking on a fresh business opportunity. In other words, "entrepreneurial" isn't to say that Samsung is like a startup / small business / mom & pop company, but more like it frequently made new inroads to new business opportunities. ...Samsung is more powerful than even the Korean government. It's not fooling anyone about that, and that interview didn't intend to, either.

It sounds like he was trying to say that the company encourages entrepreneurial thinking. I agree that a large established organization can be "entrepreneurial" in that regard. Arguably, transforming from being a highly competent supplier of others (which they still are) into being a dominant producer and designer requires some of that.

However, what is also clear is that Samsung benefits from its unholy alliance and outsized influence over the South Korean government. They are untouchable over there, much more so than any corporation in North America or Western Europe. They also have questionable business tactics, blurring the line between being a fast follower and a copier.

#10 User is offline   dannyo152 

• PipPip

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:31 AM

Great mysteries in the realm of philosophy: is there free will; what is or are time and space; who buys pimento loaf, except inadvertently, and how could that be a business model?

Mr. Koetsier's point about profit being a trailing indicator, emphasis on trailing, has me thinking. But unlike a comment about pimento loaf with which I agree, I'm thinking about whether my instinctive "That's really wrong." is fair.

One could argue that profit is the outcome of work, or gets booked when the customer payments arrive, net 30, and with pretty bows. (Hint: Bows = Sweet Dream.) I imagine one could argue that the profit earned by acquiring—and sometimes it is buying—favorable sales channel position is an effect, but the relationship is weak. Let's think once again about New Coke and recall that a powerful company could not just launch a product through focus group results, high marketing budget, and sales channel dominance.

I'm nobody, but I'd say profit is the indicator and neither trails nor leads. Profit comes from investment, work, and choices, but we know there is no algorithm. Indeed, Innovator's Dilemma theory points out that doing things "the way that has and does work" has led to losses.

I think Mr. Koetsier begged a question there.

#11 User is offline   AdamC 

• PipPip

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:50 AM

You left out Maps, now it is great, use it everyday.

#12 User is offline   LiquidD 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:50 AM

solarenergy said:

...despite the efforts of a Best Buy salesperson to steer me over to the Samsung.

That right there is another issue with this whole Android/iOS war. I hear sales people constantly pushing Android. People can be persuaded very easily and these sales people prey upon that.

There's no "qualifying" the buyer anymore. It's about pushing personal preferences and it's sad it's come to that.

#13 User is offline   krabbie 

• Pip

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:04 AM

It seems odd that you complain about the very "tools" you depend on to write your very informative and energizing articles. Keep up the good foisting of the pitard ready tools out there. They keep up entertained and you employed. Congrats on another great read and laugh fest on saturday morning.

#14 User is offline   davebarnes 

• PipPip

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:32 AM

LiquidD said:

It's about pushing personal preferences
It is NOT.
It is about pushing the items with the largest spiff.
Dave Barnes
+1.303.744.9024
WebEnhancement Services - Worldwide

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users