Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mavericks Disaster

#1 User is offline   sunnyone 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

I just made the hideous mistake of upgrading both of my Macs (a MacBook Pro and Mac Pro) to Mavericks.

OMG do I HATE this OS! I held off on upgrading before because there were some changes to Lion and Mountain Lion I wasn't crazy about - but had I known how screwed up Mavericks is . . . . .

Searching in the Finder is a royal pain in the arse! In Snow Leopard I was able to search for a file by name - not so in Mavericks - at least I haven't been able to figure out how. If I search for the name of an airport named for a city (I do planning for airports) Finder now lists EVERY SINGLE FILE that may have that city name included somewhere in it. In Show Leopard I was able to limit the search to File Names only. If there is a way to do this in Mavericks I don't see how and even if it is an option, it's idiotic to have to spend hours searching the web to find out how.

I spent over an hour searching the web to find out how to get the dam scroll bars back. Why did I want the scroll bars? Because on my MacBook Pro moving the mouse over to where the disappearing scroll bar was supposed to be did nothing - or more to the point, the scroll bar appeared whenever it wanted - sometimes it would appear but 99 percent of the time it wouldn't. Even with the scroll bars now always showing, they are a pain because they're so narrow you have to be extremely precise with the mouse pointer to make sure you "hit" the scroll bar. Which leads to the next issue.

I just found out after more hours of searching the web that Apple in all its stupidity decided to eliminate the scroll arrows in all applications!!! How freaking stupid is that? I use Photoshop, Illustrator, and any number of apps for which I NEED those scroll arrows. The scroll wheel on my mouse is nowhere near accurate enough - yes APPLE, I actually use a Mac Pro to do most of my computing and trackpad gestures aren't available or an option I want. (I had an Apple Magic Mouse, which really was a misnomer since there is nothing magical about it and it was the worst mouse I've EVER owned - I dumped it a couple of years ago.) At first I thought the arrows were only missing in Safari, but much to my disbelief when I opened Illustrator, sure enough they were GONE!

After searching the web I just read an article in one of the forums that Apple deleted the scroll arrows a couple of years ago. The poster's response to those complaining about losing the scroll arrows was essentially "just suck it up". That's just BS!

Now on top of that, the number pad won't work on my Logitech di"Novo Mac Edition keyboard. WTF!!!! Again, if there is something I need to do to get the number pad back - WHY? WHY DO I HAVE TO SEARCH EVEN MORE TO GET BACK THE USABILITY I'VE HAD FOR THE PAST UMPTEEN YEARS????

I am so incredibly pissed!

Now I have to figure out HOW TO GO BACK TO SNOW LEOPARD - yes I'm screaming because this is just plain F__'ed up!

Microsoft has done some dumb things in the past - specifically Vista and the dam Ribbon in Office, but this move by Apple takes the cake in my book!

#2 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

Yeah, it would be quite a shock jumping from Snow Leopard to Mavericks. If you like you can just reinstall Snow Leopard and never look back. Then again, you might just get used to Mavericks after living with it for awhile.

As for your search issue, type "name: searchterm" without the quotes. That will produce only those files that have the search term in the name.

#3 User is offline   sunnyone 

• PipPip

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:30 PM

View PostChris Breen, on 19 November 2013 - 05:03 PM, said:

Yeah, it would be quite a shock jumping from Snow Leopard to Mavericks. If you like you can just reinstall Snow Leopard and never look back. Then again, you might just get used to Mavericks after living with it for awhile.

As for your search issue, type "name: searchterm" without the quotes. That will produce only those files that have the search term in the name.

Any suggestions regarding the keyboard as Apple appears to think they make the ONLY keyboards in the world. I went to System Preferences for the keyboard and tried to identify my keyboard going through the prompts on screen, but it says it doesn't recognize my keyboard - specifically the number keypad.

Guess I'll have to try Logitech to see if they have any suggestions . . . .

#4 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:47 AM

View Postsunnyone, on 19 November 2013 - 11:30 PM, said:

Any suggestions regarding the keyboard

Yes. Launch System Preferences, select the Accessibility preference, choose Mouse & Trackpad, and make sure that Enable Mouse Keys isn't enabled.

#5 User is offline   sunnyone 

• PipPip

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:11 PM

View PostChris Breen, on 20 November 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

View Postsunnyone, on 19 November 2013 - 11:30 PM, said:

Any suggestions regarding the keyboard

Yes. Launch System Preferences, select the Accessibility preference, choose Mouse & Trackpad, and make sure that Enable Mouse Keys isn't enabled.

Thanks - that fixed the problem. Guess I don't understand the reason for even having mouse keys - especially on a Mac.

One other change to Mavericks that I am having a hard time understanding - when you open a Finder window, then minimize it to the Dock and then go back to select that Finder window, now you have to click on the window twice - once to make it "current" and a second time to actually make a selection in that window. Why did Apple change this - makes absolutely no sense to me. In SL, when you minimized a Finder window then went back and selected that window it was immediately active - you didn't have to click on the window to make it active.

Is there some option in Mavericks I'm missing somewhere that I need to select?

I did find a program that restores some of Finder's previous utility - Path Finder. The main issue is it costs 40 bucks.

#6 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

View Postsunnyone, on 20 November 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

Thanks - that fixed the problem. Guess I don't understand the reason for even having mouse keys - especially on a Mac.

It's an Accessibility feature for those who find it difficult to move a mouse or manipulate a trackpad. Apple has made it much more difficult to trigger accidentally but, as you've discovered, some people still manage to do it and are completely flummoxed when their number pads stop working.

One other change to Mavericks that I am having a hard time understanding - when you open a Finder window, then minimize it to the Dock and then go back to select that Finder window, now you have to click on the window twice - once to make it "current" and a second time to actually make a selection in that window. Why did Apple change this - makes absolutely no sense to me. In SL, when you minimized a Finder window then went back and selected that window it was immediately active - you didn't have to click on the window to make it active.

You might try that again. I just tested it and it behaves as it always has. Minimize a window. do whatever else you like, and when you bring the window back out of the Dock by clicking on it, it becomes active.

#7 User is offline   sunnyone 

• PipPip

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:06 PM

View PostChris Breen, on 20 November 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

View Postsunnyone, on 20 November 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

It's an Accessibility feature for those who find it difficult to move a mouse or manipulate a trackpad. Apple has made it much more difficult to trigger accidentally but, as you've discovered, some people still manage to do it and are completely flummoxed when their number pads stop working.

You might try that again. I just tested it and it behaves as it always has. Minimize a window. do whatever else you like, and when you bring the window back out of the Dock by clicking on it, it becomes active.

Nope. When I minimize the Finder window to the dock and then click on that window in the dock, the Finder window opens up, but then I have to click on the window to make it active and then click again to actually select anything in the window - a drive or file, whatever. I just tried again.

#8 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:43 AM

View PostChris Breen, on 20 November 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

I'm not sure why the OP's windows aren't coming out of the dock active, but there is something here that's legitimately changed for them: For most of the life of the Mac, if you clicked on a file in a non-active Finder window the behavior was that the window activated *and* the clicked item was selected. A clear deviation from the HIG, but one that was justified by very clear usage and usability studies; Apple made Finder work that way because people expected it to. That was changed in either Lion or Mountain Lion and it was very jarring at the time.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users