Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Adobe expands Photoshop Photography Program to everyone - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Adobe expands Photoshop Photography Program to everyone

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

Post your comments for Adobe expands Photoshop Photography Program to everyone here

#2 User is offline   TimmySlapstick 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

Too late, Adobe. You've already lost this customer to Pixelmator.

#3 User is offline   jlck 

• Pip

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:32 PM

Of course, once these "Special Offers" expire on Dec. 2nd & 31st, the monthly subscription cost will drop, right? Especially since any photos ever edited by the subscription apps can ONLY be accessed if you have a current subscription. Edit a photo now, and want to open it 5, 10, 15 years from now? You'll need to have an active Adobe subscription to ever open those files again, no matter how high the cost happens to be by then. This means that although you retain the rights to your photos, Adobe essentially owns the ACCESS to all photos edited by their apps in perpetuity. Don't pay their asking price, never open your files again.

Of course, as more & more people become dependent on them, they'll lower their prices. And by the way, would you like to buy the Brooklyn Bridge? I can sell it to you really cheap.....

#4 User is offline   isights 

• PipPip

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:36 PM

What we really need is an "ala carte" system where someone can get, say, Photoshop and Dreamweaver, for $20/mo. As is, users of just one or two Adobe programs tend to get screwed.

#5 User is offline   ShawnKingpa5e 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:49 PM

jlck said:

Of course, once these "Special Offers" expire on Dec. 2nd & 31st, the monthly subscription cost will drop, right?

No - it will likely rise. That's why it's a limited time special offer.

Especially since any photos ever edited by the subscription apps can ONLY be accessed if you have a current subscription. Edit a photo now, and want to open it 5, 10, 15 years from now? You'll need to have an active Adobe subscription to ever open those files again, no matter how high the cost happens to be by then.

Not sure where you're getting your information from but Adobe says any files saved locally will continue to be accessible after you end your subscription.

Any other information is just misinformed FUD.

#6 User is offline   John__B 

• PipPip

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

jlck said:

Of course, once these "Special Offers" expire on Dec. 2nd & 31st, the monthly subscription cost will drop, right? Especially since any photos ever edited by the subscription apps can ONLY be accessed if you have a current subscription. Edit a photo now, and want to open it 5, 10, 15 years from now? You'll need to have an active Adobe subscription to ever open those files again, no matter how high the cost happens to be by then.

You should always export your "keepers" to JPEG, TIFF, or whatever format so that aren't dependent on any one program to open or print.

Also, don't assume that the process engine of some future version of Lightroom will yield the same image as the current version. Or that your current version of Lightroom will even run under some future version of OS X or Windows.

#7 User is offline   jlck 

• Pip

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

ShawnKingpa5e & John_B: I was being sarcastic in my first sentence - I had hoped it was obvious. As to files saved locally: I had in mind, but failed to make explicit, one's PSD and edited DNG files. Although they will remain on your disk(s), you won't be able to actually OPEN PSD files, or see your edits in DNG files without a current subscription, effectively denying you access, even though they are on your computer.

Yes, saving out your edited files as JPEG or TIFF will preserve your ability to open them with other programs in the future. But it permanently "bakes in" all your edits - you lose all your layers, smart objects, etc. in Photoshop, and any edits you made to DNG-formatted RAW files in PS or LR. (Not sure about RAW XML-sidecar edits.) I value the ability to re-adjust or re-purpose the edits of my files, & one loses that ability with JPEG or TIFF. (Other than starting over from the original from scratch.)

I agree about the process version, but so far at least Adobe has not automatically imposed its newer process versions on older files. Granted, all apps eventually need a major upgrade to maintain compatibility with newer OSes (SP?), but that rarely happens more than once every 5-10 years on the Mac. (Not sure about Windows.)

I think it would have been great if subscriptions were just an option for those who liked them. Having them forced upon me has alienated me to the point where I am exploring the competition.

#8 User is offline   davebarnes 

• PipPip

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:59 PM

Just give us your login/password + credit card number and we will send them off to Russian crackers.
Dave Barnes
+1.303.744.9024
WebEnhancement Services - Worldwide

#9 User is offline   lkrnduj87u 

• Pip

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:16 PM

jlck said:

Of course, once these "Special Offers" expire on Dec. 2nd & 31st, the monthly subscription cost will drop, right? Especially since any photos ever edited by the subscription apps can ONLY be accessed if you have a current subscription. Edit a photo now, and want to open it 5, 10, 15 years from now? You'll need to have an active Adobe subscription to ever open those files again, no matter how high the cost happens to be by then. This means that although you retain the rights to your photos, Adobe essentially owns the ACCESS to all photos edited by their apps in perpetuity. Don't pay their asking price, never open your files again. Of course, as more & more people become dependent on them, they'll lower their prices. And by the way, would you like to buy the Brooklyn Bridge? I can sell it to you really cheap.....

#10 User is offline   lkrnduj87u 

• Pip

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

Does this mean that a photo saved as JPEG or TIFF under CC can no longer be opened and edited with any other program?

If so where in Adobe's info does it say this?

#11 User is offline   Mel 

• Pip

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

On the surface it sounds like a deal, but in reality I would rather have an install DVD and keep everything on my hard drive and not in Adobe's Cloud. I hate monthly bills.

#12 User is offline   ShawnKingpa5e 

• PipPip

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

lkrnduj87u said:

Does this mean that a photo saved as JPEG or TIFF under CC can no longer be opened and edited with any other program?

It means no such thing. Anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about.

#13 User is offline   jlck 

• Pip

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:42 PM

lkrnduj87u said:

Does this mean that a photo saved as JPEG or TIFF under CC can no longer be opened and edited with any other program? If so where in Adobe's info does it say this?

No - JPEGs & TIFFs are not affected - just the Adobe native file formats of PSD & DNG.

But those are the formats which let you return to your edits & tweak or change them. When you save a PSD file to JPEG or TIFF the current edits get "baked in" - all your layers, smart objects, etc. are lost. While you can apply new edits to the JPEG or TIFF, you have no ability to alter or undo the edits you performed in PS.

As for DNG files: the current version of Lightroom, as of this moment, is still being offered for "sale", and in the same version as its subscription version. This is great for LR users, but adobe is making no promises as to how long this will last. So if you shoot RAW, and import or convert those RAW files to the DNG file format, know this: edits performed on RAW files in the DNG format can opened by other apps, but those apps will only "see" the original unedited RAW files as imported - any edits performed on the DNG files in LR or PS (or Bridge) will be ignored, meaning that you will have to edit those files again from scratch in whatever app you use. As I am not aware of any way to export ones edited DNG files into sidecar-XML files that would be readable by other RAW editors, anyone who takes Adobe's advice and imports their RAW files in DNG rather than their camera's native RAW format will lose ALL their editing work if they want to work on their DNG files in another program. (Yes, you can export your edited DNG files from LR, PS or bridge in TIFF or JPEG, but then, obviously, they will no longer be RAW.)

Sorry for such a long-winded answer!

#14 User is offline   MaurizioDeCeccowq1o 

• Pip

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:24 AM

jlck, while i fundamentally agree with what you say, the problem is not in the model subscription. In 10 or 15 years you will not, in general, be able to open files generated with an application unless you have (one of the) latest version, running on your then current hardware and OS version. Subscription move the business model from a update tax to a subscription. The real problem is the proprietary file format. But in some sector there are no alternative, at the moment, to proprietary file format. (I am paying my update tax for my DAW, and i would really prefer a cheaper subscription model :-<).

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users