Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Adobe expands Photoshop Photography Program to everyone - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Adobe expands Photoshop Photography Program to everyone

#15 User is offline   hannesleje 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:22 AM

A good tool to manage gadgets is http://goo.gl/pk1UBn It keeps track of your warranties, and sends you notifications just before they're about to expire, sends you recall alerts and much more. Quite useful for people with many gadgets like myself.

#16 User is offline   savageduck 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

Much of what I have read here on this subject is complete FUD.

I have been a Photoshop user since PS LE was bundled with a long dead scanner. I bought PS7. I have used Lightroom since the Beta (LR, LR2, LR4).
I have been on the Photoshot CS upgrade treadmill for some time, finding features which appealed to me and have found their way into my workflow.
So after buying PS CS2, I have paid $200 for upgrades to CS3, CS4, CS5, & CS6. I also vowed that CS6 was going to be the end of the Photoshop upgrade road for me. As a result much of my work has been done in Lightroom.
When the $10/month promotion for prior owners from CS3-CS6 was announced I took a closer look at the deal. It is a great deal, and it saves me money on both Photoshop upgrades and Lightroom upgrades.
I have no issue with losing my image files, I have my local archives and I have cloud storage. I have full access to my original RAW files, and I have full access to my processed image files saved as TIFF, PSD, JPEG, PNG, or as XMP within the Lightroom lrcat file. I will continue to have access to those files even if and/or when my current $10/month CC subscription might lapse. Those files can be opened with other software including applications provided by Apple, Pixelmator, Acorn, etc.

Photoshop CC and LR5 have features which I would gladly have paid $200 & $100 for updates for each respectively. My typical update buying plan has been every 12-18 months, so $120 to update CS6 & LR4 to CC & LR5 makes far more sense to me than paying my usual $300 and falls well within my budget.

So this is a great deal for prior CS owners, and a great opportunity for those who always discounted using Photoshop and/or Lightroom due to the high initial cost. My suggestion for those who have never used Photoshop or Lightroom, is to take this opportunity and try it. The worse that could happen is it does not meet your expectations and you walk away from it. Your original and product files will still be safe in your own archive system, whatever that might be.

#17 User is offline   bunny47 

• Pip

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

ShawnKingpa5e said:

jlck said
Of course, once these "Special Offers" expire on Dec. 2nd & 31st, the monthly subscription cost will drop, right? No - it will likely rise. That's why it's a limited time special offer. Especially since any photos ever edited by the subscription apps can ONLY be accessed if you have a current subscription. Edit a photo now, and want to open it 5, 10, 15 years from now? You'll need to have an active Adobe subscription to ever open those files again, no matter how high the cost happens to be by then. Not sure where you're getting your information from but Adobe says any files saved locally will continue to be accessible after you end your subscription. Any other information is just misinformed FUD.

Well, not really, if you use Adobe's proprietary formats. Then, you would indeed need their software to open files on your own computer. Of course, if after processing, you save everything to jpgs, tiffs, or other universally accessible file types, you would be able to use any software to open them. After reading up on this subject on many forums, I acquired Corel's PaintShop Pro X6 and I love it. For now, I am using both, but if I have to get a new computer that will not run my current version of CS, I will buy DRAW also, and switch over. Each person has to consider their usage and needs. I suggest an online search and some research before committing to this. Also, saving files in compatible formats if you can is always wise.

#18 User is offline   bunny47 

• Pip

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

TimmySlapstick said:

Too late, Adobe. You've already lost this customer to Pixelmator.

Am defecting to Corel.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users