Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Help with a very specific need (IE + active x) - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help with a very specific need (IE + active x) Which is the best method?

#1 User is offline   gPerboni 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:08 PM

Hello friends!

I’m on the verge of migrating from Windows to Mac, but I still have one concern.

One of my best clients still uses a very old system that requires Internet Explorer with a Active X component.

I’ve made my research and already know about Boot Campo, VM Ware Fusion, Paralles and Virtual Box, but I wanna know what you guys thing about it.

Wich is the best method? Boot Camp or VM?
Wich is the best VM?
There’s any other way to run IE wit active X?

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:17 PM

View PostgPerboni, on 24 November 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

Hello friends!

I’m on the verge of migrating from Windows to Mac, but I still have one concern.

One of my best clients still uses a very old system that requires Internet Explorer with a Active X component.

I’ve made my research and already know about Boot Campo, VM Ware Fusion, Paralles and Virtual Box, but I wanna know what you guys thing about it.

Wich is the best method? Boot Camp or VM?
Wich is the best VM?
There’s any other way to run IE wit active X?

Thanks!

Which version of Windows do you need to use? Can it be the latest and greatest? Or do you need an older version?

I ask because Bootcamp has versions and certain versions only work with certain version of the Mac OS and those certain version only support specific version of Windows. For example, Bootcamp 5 only supports Windows 7 and Windows 8.0 (not 8.1…at least as of right now). And I believe Mavericks only works with Bootcamp 5. So, if you went and bought a brand spanking new Mac with Mavericks and Bootcamp 5, then you likely would not be able to use Windows XP with it if you needed XP.

Personally, I use Parallel for use with Windows. I like it as I don't need to reboot to get to Windows (like you would with Bootcamp). It runs rather well. I only really use it to run my structural engineering software as nobody really makes structural engineering software for Macs anymore. Parallels can use just about any version of Windows (I have a VM that runs…kind of…Windows 98 on my one machine…it isn't perfect as finding drivers is a pain).

This post has been edited by smax013: 14 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users