Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Innovation and iteration: The two sides of Apple - Macworld Forums

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Innovation and iteration: The two sides of Apple

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:00 AM

Post your comments for Innovation and iteration: The two sides of Apple here

#2 User is offline   fryke 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:55 AM

Samsung: This completely changes the way we think about copying patented designs.

Microsoft: This completely changes the way we think about dinosaur marriages.

#3 User is offline   sce1 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:05 AM

I think that the article misses the point to some extent. Innovation shouldn't be measured only in terms of final products or product categories that were created. It should also be measured in terms of the processes and technologies that were created to enable those product categories. In Apple's case, there was significant innovation in terms of things like aluminum manufacturing, supply chain design, user interfaces, camera tech, etc. that kind of get lost when focused only on the end products. Yes, the iPhone was a very innovative product, but there is still innovation going on relative to the "incremental" products that are deemed as lacking innovation. And on this point, you can find innovation at some of those other companies as well. I think the issue for the others is that they don't do a good job of capturing their innovation and really having a vision for the products they are bringing out.

#4 User is offline   ingus 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:28 AM

Nice article. Appreciate the candor. The "innovation" term is being branded about so much, it's reaching the credibility of "world peace" statements at a beauty pageant.

You, and other posters, point out the fact that innovation can be evolutionary, or revolutionary. There's innovation in components too. Intel's Tick-Tock cadence is a great example of evolutionary design. Samsung in displays has been quite innovative.

It's revolutionary innovation, however, that has become the expectation from Apple. It's this expectation that has won the consumer mindshare, and analyst recommendations. You're right, it's not easy. Apple has been selling a very rare commodity. How's the supply chain on that commodity? Time will tell.
I'm more of a "Woz" guy...

#5 User is offline   doglesby 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:17 AM

I think your definition is too restrictive. The 5s's flash feature is creative and new. It's innovative by the dictionary definition and plenty deserving of the appellation IMO. Innovation does not have to be life altering.

#6 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:26 AM

View Postdoglesby, on 27 November 2013 - 07:17 AM, said:

I think your definition is too restrictive. The 5s's flash feature is creative and new. It's innovative by the dictionary definition and plenty deserving of the appellation IMO. Innovation does not have to be life altering.

I'm responding specifically to the charge "Apple no longer innovates." And those making that charge are very specifically talking about life altering changes along the lines of the I-devices. In the business world you'd apply the "disruption" buzzword.

So sure, Apple and other companies small-i innovate all the time. But that's not the language of the argument.

#7 User is offline   acslater017 

• PipPip

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:54 AM

Apple's done lots of innovating beyond the three products listed. Its push for Wi-Fi seems obvious in hindsight but changed the way we move around and work. The MacBook Air/unibody designs completely changed our expectations of laptop design/size. Retina displays have completely changed how we consume content and how user interfaces are designed. Their advances in mobile chips give us pocket-sized devices 50x as powerful as 6 years ago. The iPhone's camera has completely changed the way people photograph and record video - this alone has huge social implications.

In any case, innovation is often in the little things: the MagSafe connector, backlit keyboards, multitouch trackpads that are not revolutionary in themselves but add up to best-in-class Apple products.

#8 User is offline   Bobbydig 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:16 AM

MacWorld should practice what it preaches. This is just one of 10,000 articles about Apple and the way it does business. This article not only misses the mark, but it lacks quality journalism that has been missing in MacWorld pages for years. I remember once it was exciting to read this rag. Instead the newsstand version is a handful of pages, can be read on the newsstand in minutes, and filled with ads.

I guess MacWorld thinks they are smart if they bite the hand that feeds them. Maybe that's why Apple does not return their calls.

#9 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

View Postacslater017, on 27 November 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

The iPhone's camera has completely changed the way people photograph and record video - this alone has huge social implications.

I agree that mobile phone photography has had a profound effect, but I wouldn't give Apple and the iPhone all the credit. Phone photography existed before the iPhone and continues to excel on other brands of phones as well.

#10 User is offline   snagitseven 

• PipPip

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:35 AM

Bobbydig said:

MacWorld should practice what it preaches. This is just one of 10,000 articles about Apple and the way it does business. This article not only misses the mark, but it lacks quality journalism that has been missing in MacWorld pages for years. I remember once it was exciting to read this rag.

Generally, if I'm dissatisfied with something, I go out of my way to avoid it. Yet, here you are, still reading MacWorld articles.

#11 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:39 AM

View PostBobbydig, on 27 November 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

I guess MacWorld thinks they are smart if they bite the hand that feeds them. Maybe that's why Apple does not return their calls.

I'm sorry you so completely missed the point of the article. It's as much about language as it is technology. I am, in no way, faulting Apple for its lack of innovation. Rather, I'm praising it for having done something nearly impossible three times. I'm hopeful that it manages another three in the next decade.

#12 User is offline   hayesk 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

Bobbydig said:

Do you want MacWorld to be Apple's lapdog or have some amount of objectivity?

#13 User is offline   PowerPC 

• PipPip

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

Apple, because it has shocked us with the iPod, iPhone, and iPad, is held to the impossible-to-meet standard of shocking us with every new product it announces. And if those products are merely enough to intrigue us without shocking us, they are deemed failures by lazy, jaded technology pundits. But most of us with a mature outlook on life know better than that, because it is perfectly okay to be pleased and delighted without wanting to be constantly shocked.

#14 User is offline   DougAdams 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

sce1 said:

Innovation shouldn't be measured only in terms of final products or product categories that were created. It should also be measured in terms of the processes and technologies that were created to enable those product categories.

Tell that to the link-batiting tech writers who see those innovations as too technical to draw a sizeable audience.
the doug part of dougscripts.com

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users