Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Photoshop Killers: Nine OS X alternatives to Photoshop - Macworld Forums

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Photoshop Killers: Nine OS X alternatives to Photoshop

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:30 AM

Post your comments for Photoshop Killers: Nine OS X alternatives to Photoshop here

#2 User is offline   TheHeeNow 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:44 AM

Canon's Digital Photo Professional is outstanding with Canon raw images. It can do a number of high-end processing actions as well as correct for lens anomalies automatically. It can also batch process.

It's free with Canon DSLRs.

#3 User is offline   macFanDave 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:51 AM

I've always used Thorsten Lemke's Graphic Converter.

Although its heritage came from its ability to convert any of hundreds of graphic formats to almost any other format, it is an outstanding editing tool.

#4 User is offline   lkrupp 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:55 AM

macFanDave said:

I've always used Thorsten Lemke's Graphic Converter. Although its heritage came from its ability to convert any of hundreds of graphic formats to almost any other format, it is an outstanding editing tool.

+1

#5 User is offline   quakerotis 

• PipPip

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:21 AM

Nice round up, Jackie.

I don't think there is a Photoshop killer. Adobe will do it themselves.

Many of us have looked at all of these and found some critical thing missing.

But if Acorn or Pixelmator provided alternate color spaces and decent color profiling, I would switch in an instant.

#6 User is offline   Tom 

• PipPip

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:27 AM

macFanDave said:

I've always used Thorsten Lemke's Graphic Converter. Although its heritage came from its ability to convert any of hundreds of graphic formats to almost any other format, it is an outstanding editing tool.

#7 User is offline   davebarnes 

• PipPip

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:32 AM

@Jackie,
Can we have:
"Illustrator Killers: Nine OS X alternatives to Illustrator"
"Dreamweaver Killers: Nine OS X alternatives to Dreamweaver"
"Acrobat Killers: Nine OS X alternatives to Acrobat"
and I can drop Adobe completely.
Dave Barnes
+1.303.744.9024
WebEnhancement Services - Worldwide

#8 User is offline   leicaman 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:35 AM

View Postdavebarnes, on 27 November 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

@Jackie,
Can we have:
"Illustrator Killers: Nine OS X alternatives to Illustrator"
"Dreamweaver Killers: Nine OS X alternatives to Dreamweaver"
"Acrobat Killers: Nine OS X alternatives to Acrobat"
and I can drop Adobe completely.

Yes!!!!!!

Not a bad review, but it misses several critical points and a few significant misstatements along the way.

First, if you get the $10 a month subscription to Photoshop CC, you get Lightroom as a part of the package. This is a killer deal and as opposed as I was to the Creative Cloud $50 a month stupidity, this is an unbeatable combination. So no, none of these alternatives are Photoshop killers.

And I think you're being unfair to Lightroom and Aperture to imply they straddle the line between being tools for amateurs and professionals. They are full-blown professional tools that amateurs like to use for the workflow capabilities. No less than Photoshop itself in that sense.

Being a professional, of course my perspective is going to be different than the author. There is no single answer to what is right for any photographer. Many of these programs are very good, and will meet the needs of anyone from amateur to pro. (I often meet amateurs who are better photographers than many pros. The word amateur derives from amour - love of the craft.) But for $120 a year, anyone serious about photography really must consider having Lightroom and Photoshop in their stable of tools.

I just wish Lightroom was from Apple so it integrated into the OS better! Photoshop works well with Aperture. So when the new version of Aperture arrives optimized for the new Mac Pro (which I will have at work and at home) I'm going to give it a serious look.

Also, Ldightroom is not a single-window app as such, if you have multiple monitors. I look forward to it, and Photoshop CC, working better with multiple monitors in Mavericks. (I hope! Fingers crossed.)

This post has been edited by leicaman: 27 November 2013 - 08:39 AM

Eric

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

#9 User is offline   nicmart 

• Pip

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:38 AM

Replacing Photoshop is relatively painless, but an alternative to InDesign is much more problematic. MacWorld might address that.

#10 User is offline   donalbrecht 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

Enough with the "Killer" drama. It seems like writers feel the need to super dramatize the article title and content to get and maintain people's attention. A good article shouldn't need this kind of baiting. I, for one, am tired of killer this and killer that, war on this and war on that, slammed, etc. You get the point. Otherwise, nice article.

#11 User is offline   sensel 

• PipPip

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

nicmart said:

Replacing Photoshop is relatively painless, but an alternative to InDesign is much more problematic. MacWorld might address that.

QuarkXPress

#12 User is offline   Macsailor 

• PipPip

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

I would also agree with the "killer" headline bait complaint.
Meanwhile, I still own a seldom-used copy of Elements. Given the "full screen window whether you like it or not" bug... I stick with ColorIt! and patiently wait for them to come out with a version that works with the MacOS beyond 10.6.8.

(sigh...)

#13 User is offline   sensel 

• PipPip

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

There is also LightZone which used to be commercial (rated high against PS) but is now open source. http://lightzoneproj...g/content/about

QuarkXPress works great as an InDesign alternative. Since InDesign used a lot of the same metaphors that XPress pioneered, it is not too hard a transition to move from Adobe to Quark. But XPress still has a few missing ease of use tools/commands InDesign has, like the use of the option key to do a bunch of handy things.

But the best option is to simply stay with the version of Adobe CS suite you currently have (or up date to last updatable version)! This should last many years or, until an OS update forces you to do something.

#14 User is offline   doxiepuppy 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:37 AM

Adobe has the worst Customer Service/Tech Support ever imaginable! Especially for the cost of their products that crash pretty often.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users