Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: How to add your PDFs to iBooks and organize them - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to add your PDFs to iBooks and organize them

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:00 AM

Post your comments for How to add your PDFs to iBooks and organize them here

#2 User is offline   sprtfld 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:34 AM

PDF's will sync from the Mac to an IOS device. I've added a PDF book to iBooks, then connected my iPad with the cable, opened iTunes and selected the iPad. I went to the books tab and selected the PDF (I have sync set to books I've selected) and then applied it. After it synced the PDF was on my iPad.

#3 User is offline   sprtfld 

• Pip

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:35 AM

Unfortunately all the PDF's I had loaded in iTunes did not appear in iBooks automatically. Wish it would have checked that and added them to iBooks when I installed it.

#4 User is offline   Serenity 

• Staff Editor
  • Group: Macworld Editorial

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

sprtfld said:

PDF's will sync from the Mac to an IOS device. I've added a PDF book to iBooks, then connected my iPad with the cable, opened iTunes and selected the iPad. I went to the books tab and selected the PDF (I have sync set to books I've selected) and then applied it. After it synced the PDF was on my iPad.

This is a great point, though I was referring primarily to wireless iCloud syncing, the way iBooks's purchased titles do.

#5 User is offline   Sawbilly 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:59 PM

Thanks for the review, Serenity. I'd love to manage my PDFs on my laptop and do my PDF reading on my iPad. How would you recommend I do that? Is there a good PDF reader that synchs content between devices?

#6 User is offline   bradpaulp 

• PipPip

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

Serenity said:

sprtfld said
This is a great point, though I was referring primarily to wireless iCloud syncing, the way iBooks's purchased titles do.

I have added ePubs to iBooks for Mavericks not purchased from iTunes store and it wirelessly syncs to my other devices. Its not from wireless iTunes sync either, its using iCloud to sync the ePubs. It also copies any hi-lighting / note taking I've done to the ePub on Mac OSX and transfers that data to the ePub on my iOS devices. Again, these are ePubs added myself that were not from iTunes store.

#7 User is offline   dfs 

• PipPip

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

Good tip about iBook. But there's an even better way: download the free app. Calibre. Among its other advantages is that it allows you to edit your PDF's metadata.

#8 User is offline   rickatk 

• Pip

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:17 AM

>In short: iBooks is not a bad way to keep track of your scripts and other PDF documents, but it starts to stutter if you’d like to sync those PDFs with other devices or annoatate them in Preview. With luck, we may see changes to iBooks in the future that address these issues, but for now, it’s a passable option if you’d like to group your books and PDFs locally on your computer.

This statement sums up a key fail that is Apple’s approach to pdf document management. Unlike other “documents in the cloud” apps and apps such as mail, calendar and contacts, Preview falls short of being a full feature multi device cloud application.

Main reason: There is no iOS version of Preview.
There are too many workarounds, in addition to the ones detailed in this fine article, to give iBooks a serious look at as a cloud based pdf file management app. The solution is to bring Preview into the forefront and enable it fully for iOS and iCloud.com.

#9 User is offline   nckitkat 

• PipPip

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

I was actually able to arrange pdfs that I had added myself, on my iPad: I decided to scan some of the music that I wanted to play for a Gala, and scanned it, hoping to be able to turn pages more easily by setting it up on my iPad. Unfortunately, I learned that it views each page as a separate pdf, so I had to merge them with another app, and re-enter them. After merging, though, I was able to put them into a collection that I labeled as Music. I have not figured out how to arrange them in the order that I want yet, but at least I have them all in one collection, and I don't have to look for them amongst documents, pdfs of smocking designs, and books that I have added!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users