Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Linksys Router and iMac - internet not working - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Linksys Router and iMac - internet not working

#1 User is offline   lsandi 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 June 2003 - 08:40 AM

HI,
I have a Cable modem connecting to a Linksys Wireless broadband router (WRT-54g), a PC laptop and a new iMac.
The Mac used to be connected direct to the Cable and worked fine.
The laptop is up and running using a wireless card and the connection is great.
The imac is showing an IP address using DHCP, and a router ip address, I get replies from the laptop when I ping it from the mac, the network utility is showing things are active but I cannot connect to the internet. It says the specified server cannot be found. (google.com)
I have tried numerous times to shut down all machines and startup one by one etc...
I am running OSx 10.2
Due to where the router sits (next to the Mac) I set the Mac up to work wired rather than wireless, and although i have an airport card installed in the imac in system prefs I selected built in ethernet which is where i got the ip address back from.
I usually use PC's so if you can help please remember I am new to Macs.
Thanks so much !!!!!
Lynne

#2 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2003 - 06:26 PM

Did you setup DHCP with manual IP address on the iMac? Or plain DHCP?
Even with the latter: duplicate the DNS Server IP's that you find in the Router Setup Pages into Preferences - Network under DNS Servers. Without that my cube with manual IP wouldn't connect to the web either. Once I added those I was all set.
With the standard settings in Network preferences:
Location = automatic.
Show built in ethernet.
Configure using DHCP
Apply.
a Mac normally is online in a few heartbeats - unless - you have activated some restriction on the linksys router like MAC address verification and forgot to add the iMac's MAC address to the list?
icerabbit

#3 User is offline   jingleheimer 

• Pip

Posted 05 June 2003 - 07:18 PM

I was having a problem very similar to this. My Powerbook with Airport card was not able to connect wirelessly to my Linksys Wireless AP/Router but was able to connect fine through an ethernet cable. Anyways, straight to the point: The only way I solved this problem was to change the IP address of the router to 192.168.0.1 instead of the default 192.168.1.1. Then of course, all the other IP addresses would change (including the Powerbook's). Let me know if it works.

#4 User is offline   lsandi 

• Pip

Posted 06 June 2003 - 11:03 AM

I tried manual and regular DHCP and I was on the phone with tech support from Linksys yesterday but she gave up after trying a few things and said to call Apple. THANK YOU LINKSYS!!! for nothing...

#5 User is offline   lsandi 

• Pip

Posted 06 June 2003 - 11:04 AM

Chaging the router ip soundslike a good idea. I totally reset it yesterday but it did not work. I will try this tonight - thanks

#6 User is offline   rockinphotog 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2003 - 07:11 AM

That's why I bought Asante. Excellent Mac support. After two years of my router working fine, I got a new cable modem and couldn't connect anymore.

The solution was:
power off the modem.
With my Mac hooked up to the router, copy the MAC address (listed as "Ethernet Address" in System preferences/ Network/ TCP/IP ) from my Mac to my router settings in the administrative control panel (for Asante this is accessed through your browser), save changes and restart the router.
power on the modem.

#7 User is offline   proudy 

• PipPip

Posted 10 June 2003 - 06:09 PM

I have a Linksys Router, not wireless, but I had the same problem when I upgraded to OS 10.2. I had to add the DNS addresses for my ISP in order to have the network connection work all the time. It was confusing, mail would usually work, the browser would work the first time, sometimes the second, but quitting and restarting the browser was the only way to keep surfing.
It seems to be an OS 10.2 issue, though since I added the DNS addresses to the Network preferences, I've had no problem at all.

#8 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2003 - 06:31 PM

Valid point from RockinPhotog regarding copying the registered machine's IP to the router, but in this case Sandi is online with the other machines just fine ... and Linksys normally picks that up automatically.
There should be NO problem using 192.168.1.1 for the router. Have never seen a need to switch away from that for a single router setup. In a more complex setup yes.
Did you try the DNS address thing? Which proudy repeated above.
Could you mention the Information (IPs) from the Network Preferences page please. No need to do the other tabs other than looking at proxies tab to verify that nothing is checkmarked there.
icerabbit

#9 User is offline   lsandi 

• Pip

Posted 11 June 2003 - 07:40 PM

Thanks for the replies.
I have added the dns server address under network prefs and it does not work.
I called Apple support and they cannot help me because it is not an Apple base station.
I am still getting an excellent signal from the imac connected to the local network I set up, which my laptop can stillconnect to - but I cannot get out ot the internet.
I upgraded last night to OSX 10.2.6 which is supposed to helpo with these issues but nothing.
I selected Apple talk and made this active, also selected use passive ftp mode. I have tried with these both turnd off and on with no luck.
I have no firewall running or virus software.
Really at my wits end and spending so many hours on this issue it is killing me.....

#10 User is offline   lsandi 

• Pip

Posted 11 June 2003 - 07:42 PM

p.s. Linksys install cd does not work on a Mac so i did not install the software but i never installed the software on one of thelaptops and it worked...

#11 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2003 - 09:46 AM

You don't need the setup cd from linksys ... no appletalk, ftp, proxies, ...
I have to ask again if you can provide us with the information from the tcp/ip tab in network preferences.
Is built-in ethernet ACTIVE & airport DISABLED & modem disabled (network preferences - show network port configuartions)
Do you have MAC address filtering set on the router? Try disabling it.
Do you allow the router to assign enough IP's? If it's set to two it won't let #3 on.
The MAC's ethernet cable is connected to one of the ports labeled 1-4?

icerabbit
[ edited to remove airport info & questions ]

#12 User is offline   lsandi 

• Pip

Posted 12 June 2003 - 11:41 AM

I have to ask again if you can provide us with the information from the tcp/ip tab in network preferences.
-show: Airport
-Configure: using DHCP
Ip address: (has ip address)
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Router: (has router ip address)
DHCP Client ID: blank
Airport id: (has a number)
DNS servers: (has two ip address there)
Search domains: blank
Is built-in ethernet ACTIVE & airport DISABLED & modem disabled (network preferences - show network port configuartions)
-not being able to get the thing configured via cable (wired) i tried wireless. SO at the moment the built in ethernet is disabled and airport is enabled. i can see at the top of my desktop screen that my home network is being reached with an excellent strength signal via wireless.

Do you have MAC address filtering set on the router? Try disabling it.
-it is already
Do you allow the router to assign enough IP's? If it's set to two it won't let #3 on.
yes, 5
The MAC's ethernet cable is connected to one of the ports labeled 1-4?
-when I was trying wired YES. I tested all four just in case.
Also, the DHCP clients table can see the Mac address of the imac.

#13 User is offline   lsandi 

• Pip

Posted 01 July 2003 - 11:28 AM

did any of my replies help diagnose the problem? I just had a MAC guy out to try and help me and he could not get it working either.
thanks

#14 User is offline   braindoc 

• PipPip

Posted 02 July 2003 - 08:41 AM

lsandi,
I have 3 questions:
when you have connected directly via ethernet:
1) what is the IP address that shows up in that field? is it a 192.168.1.x or 169.x.x.x?
2) what is the IP address that shows up in the router IP address? is it 192.168.x.x or something else.
3) are you able to access the router setup page? 192.168.1.1?

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users