Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Make a "big" picture out of several "small" ones?? - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Make a "big" picture out of several "small" ones??

#1 User is offline   pegasus929 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 July 2003 - 11:59 AM

I'm sure everyone has seen one or two of these before. One large picture is made up of many small pictures - which function as "pixels" based on their respective characteristics.
I recently went on a trip to Europe and I have hundreds of pictures... which I'd like to use to make several large pictures.
Can anyone tell me how I can pull this off?

#2 User is offline   rockinphotog 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2003 - 01:39 PM

Now, are you talking about shooting, say a hundred shots of one view in a grid pattern, getting small prints of all the shots, and putting them together overlapping each other to recreate the scene?
Or more of an optical illusion, like colored dots, using totally unrelated images to create a new big one?

#3 User is offline   pegasus929 

• PipPip

Posted 26 July 2003 - 02:09 PM

i guess the word i was looking for was mosaic. digital photo mosaic.
i want to use 100's or 1000's of pictures to create one large collective picture.

#4 User is offline   Philbert 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2003 - 07:32 AM

There's this program, but it looks like it's not available for OSX. You might want to contact the author and see if there's an OSX plan in the works. (If that's what you need.)
Phil

#5 User is offline   sigmadog 

• PipPip

Posted 27 July 2003 - 11:29 AM

A simple and possibly quicker way might be to assemble all your little images in a layer in Photoshop, then add your big overal picture in a new layer above, and then choose a layer blending mode for the top layer. You'll need to experiment with the various blending modes and opacities to get close to the effect you want. This may not achieve the same results as meticulously placing each photo according to it's color range to create the image you want, but I guarantee it will be faster.

#6 User is offline   Philbert 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2003 - 02:33 PM

In reply to:

A simple and possibly quicker way might be to assemble all your little images in a layer in Photoshop

Huh? The effect that pegasus929 is talking about uses hundreds, if not thousands of tiny images to create the mosaic. (at least that's what I think he's talking about) This would take months to do by hand (if it's possible at all). The software that I provided a link for, does all this automatically. I think the non pro version is something like $39

#7 User is offline   csyria 

• PipPip

Posted 28 July 2003 - 08:58 PM

It's called a photomosiac

#8 User is offline   antilos 

• Pip

Posted 30 July 2003 - 08:42 AM

i know you provided the link to the software that makes this effect, very helpful...mmm i wonder if there is a demo version available, i couldnt find it, the program seems to be attractive but i would like to make a try first, do you know something about it??

#9 User is offline   pegasus929 

• PipPip

Posted 31 July 2003 - 06:39 AM

I've downloaded the freeware MacOSaix however I'm not sold on its ability. But you should give it a go.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users