Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: new iMac - Preview won't quit, can't shut down com - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

new iMac - Preview won't quit, can't shut down com

#1 User is offline   MissKitty 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 August 2003 - 10:29 PM

I am a complete newbie, so bear with me. I just got a 15 " flat screen iMac using OS 10.2.3 and I can't quit Preview, even using force quit and I can't shut down, restart or log out. Help!

#2 User is offline   VidPro 

• PipPip

Posted 05 August 2003 - 04:21 AM

the easiest fix: pull the plug! /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Then wait at least 10 seconds before restarting.
Wouldn't hurt to update, I'm on 10.2.6 and have fewer freezes than ever.
Another old remedy; have a sip of brandy (or some such). /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
And if all else fails, search for Preview's plist file and delete it.

#3 User is offline   BHeth 

• PipPip

Posted 05 August 2003 - 04:43 AM

Before you pull the plug, You might try repairing permissions (utilities/disk repair). I would also use Cocktail to clean everything out. If those two fail to help, do you have DiskWarrior?

#4 User is offline   Kate 

• PipPip

Posted 05 August 2003 - 06:09 PM

Hold the "start-up" button down [on back of base of iMac] until you hear it begin to shut down. Then after waiting a few seconds, push it again just once firmly and your Mac will restart.
You can then log in again. After having used this method of shutting down and restarting, it is probably a good thing to do that f process that I don't know how to do by heart, but someone else can help you with that!
Miss Kitty /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

#5 User is offline   MissKitty 

• Pip

Posted 05 August 2003 - 09:50 PM

Well, I gave up and went to bed last night and today I went to CompUSA to see about getting a disk utility and I ran into the "APPLE" guy! Yeaaaaa. And he told me to pull the plug! Then he had me restart, holding the shift key and I'm back! Now I'm going to the next Mac users group and I'm going to conquer this thing!
Thanks to those who replied.
Miss Kitty

#6 User is offline   Grant_G 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2003 - 02:22 PM

Restarting with the shift key held down just put you in "safe mode." It didn't solve the problem and your "extensions" or whatever OS X calls them aren't running. You need to let them run if you're going to get the full experience of using a Mac. If you're going to get a utility, your best bet (with just one of them) is DiskWarrior. It's amazing.
The f......... trick that Kate mentioned above (loved her Miss Kitty pic), goes like this: "Start or restart the computer. As soon as you hear the chime, hold down the Command and 's' keys -- hold them until you see code beginning to appear on your screen. There will be about a page of it, so be patient. When it finally stops with the curser in the left margin, type
fsck -y
Yes, there is a space in there. Hit the enter or return key. It will instantly spit out a few more lines of code then start searching for problems. One of three things will happen. In worst-things-first order, here they are:
1) It will search (and search) endlessly, forcing you to use the forced restart button. If it does that, then definitely the heavy artillery is in order (see DiskWarrior, Norton Utilities, and TechTool Pro above. Apple's Disk Utility application cannot help in this circumstance).
2) It will search and report problems, eventually telling your that 'the hard drive so-and-so has been modified.' If it does this run it again (and again) until finally ...
3) It will search and report that 'the hard drive so-and-so appears to be okay.' When you get this, type reboot (or exit if you don't want to use the computer right then) and hit the enter or return key. A normal restart will occur, back into OS X so you can see if this worked."
This is copied from the new version of OS X FAQ "What utility ... for OS X?" which I am presently in the process of writing. I do fsck -y about once or twice a month. You should also occasionally -- and after every software install -- repair permissions. You do this by going to Applications (not the OS 9 ones) > Utilities > Disk Utility and opening it. Select your OS X hard drive in the left pane then click on the First Aid tab. Select "Repair Permissions." It takes 2-3 minutes and seems to resolve many issues. When done just quit the utility.
G

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users