Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Does iDVD copy DVDs?

#1 User is offline   lstfrntr 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 February 2004 - 11:45 PM

I was just checking out a site <http://www.toptenreviews.com/DVD/> that listed several software applications that copied DVDs. You know, for making working copies and keeping your master copies away from the kids' dirty fingers. Anyway, I was discouraged to see that none of the software applications mentioned were Mac compatible. Is iDVD capable of doing copying? Is there any Mac software that is?
Thanks

#2 User is offline   pattyroy33 

• PipPip

Posted 28 February 2004 - 07:37 AM

I use a program called DVDBackup. I don't have a DVD burner in my ibook, but they burn perfectly to the hard. I use it for trips so I don't have to take as many DVDs with me. Some files are bigger than 4.7 gb though. So you'd have to figure out how to condense it to a single DVD or burn it to two. I haven't tried because I don't have a DVD burner.

#3 User is offline   Nobody 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2004 - 12:04 PM

I know - I finally figured this out after months of looking - iDVD is a DVD authoring and, yes, a burning tool - but unless you want to re-author or re-edit the content on an existing DVD you should not use iDVD or iMovie.
see: this discussion thread - make sure to read all the way to the bottom...your question should be answered there... /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You might have to cough up about $65 for one application that compresses DVD copies to fit on a DVD-r - but the other two applications needed to do this are free. In short you copy the contents of the DVD onto your hard drive, compress to fit on a DVD-r (some don't need this - but most are larger than will fit on regular single-layer DVD-r's), and burn using Disk Copy or Disk Utility - already on your computer - assuming you have a superdrive.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users