Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

safari can't connect to server???

#1 User is offline   Macpaul 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 June 2004 - 11:29 AM

Says it can't open a page xxxx because it could not connect to the server xxxx. Good thing I use Firefox. Sometimes Safari is THE choice tho and it has many good bookmarks I'd not like to lose. I tried trashing plist, dump cache, restart, etc but I still get the same message. Is there a simple answer to fixing this?

#2 User is offline   johnd0e 

• PipPip

Posted 20 June 2004 - 10:55 PM

Sorry, for asking again, but just to make sure: you can open the website in Firefox, but not in Safari. Correct?

#3 User is offline   Macpaul 

• PipPip

Posted 21 June 2004 - 05:38 AM

Safari won't connect to any website. Firefox works fine. I can't find anything in prefs that could be the cause. I'm stumped /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

#4 User is offline   Macpaul 

• PipPip

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:01 PM

Seems that somehow in setting up my new site and isp(macdialup.net)a checkmark appeared in the web proxie window. Firefox worked(main browser) but Safari and Exploder couldn't connect. /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Firefox rules /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

#5 User is offline   chocolatelvis 

• PipPip

Posted 25 June 2004 - 06:21 AM

What is Firefox? Safari NEVER can find the server and i always have to end up removing my usb port from the modem for about 10 sec then trying again. how can Firefox aid or possibly correct this ongoing issue? Oh ya, when will Safari figure out that there are people out there that have this issue......hmmmmm

(15'' PB, 1Gig,256,60gig,OSX.3.4)

#6 User is offline   Macpaul 

• PipPip

Posted 25 June 2004 - 07:07 AM

It's a free download. I like it the best of all the browsers.

#7 User is offline   chocolatelvis 

• PipPip

Posted 25 June 2004 - 01:25 PM

Macpaul, just read your reply but is this an alternative to my sloppy Safari browser? Just wondering if it's worth me downloading or not.
kl

#8 User is offline   Macpaul 

• PipPip

Posted 25 June 2004 - 06:50 PM

Maybe, just my personal opinion-Firefox is the best browser I've ever had the pleasure to use. Try it!

#9 User is offline   Adam807 

• PipPip

Posted 26 June 2004 - 08:21 AM

Can Firefox import bookmarks, etc. from Safari? It's not giving me that option when I start it up.

#10 User is offline   Macpaul 

• PipPip

Posted 26 June 2004 - 12:38 PM

Open Bookmarks manager, then go to File>import. I don't remember (CRS) how I got my Safari bookmarks. Maybe a new post about importing bookmarks would yeild more help.

#11 User is offline   d00d 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 27 June 2004 - 08:48 AM

In reply to:

Seems that somehow in setting up my new site and isp(macdialup.net)a checkmark appeared in the web proxie window. Firefox worked(main browser) but Safari and Exploder couldn't connect. Firefox rules

I'm not sure how this makes Firefox "rule". /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
While Firefox is a very cool browser, what happened with you is simply a matter of misconfiguration (your proxy box shouldn't be checked). Firefox doesn't use the system proxy settings like Safari and IE do, and as such, it wasn't affected when that setting got misset. In fact, I'd almost consider it a flaw on Firefox's part that it doesn't use the system proxy settings.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users