Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Printers: Canon vs. Hp vs Epson vs. Brother

#1 User is offline   SSGoku 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 August 2004 - 03:35 PM

I presently have a HP PhotoSmart 1115 (little over 2 - 1/2 years old). The printer works fine, but I find it to be slow when printing (approx. 1 ppm for text). The speed was fine on my old PC, but when I switched to the Mac the speed went downhill. I did download the most resent drivers from HP. No help. The speed is so slow, I'm actually considering a new printer.
Presently, I'm considering the Canon i860 or the Canon i900D, but I'd like to hear some opinions. Canon, Epson, Brother, HP and Lexmark all seem to be reputable brands. I've read some posts, but none really compared these brands all at once.
thanks

#2 User is offline   Hachiman 

• PipPip

Posted 18 August 2004 - 04:08 PM

Don't worry, it's not just you.
I've got a year old HP Photosmart 7550, and have the same problem. I've contacted HP, and the guy wasn't much help. He ran me through a few things, and what it came down to was "I don't know what's going on."
However, it's too good of a printer for me to just abandon, so I'm sticking with it.
And actually, when it's printing, it's not too bad. (Granted, I haven't done any photos since switching.) However, the printer pauses in the middle of each page about 2-3 times, for 45 seconds to a full minute, and that's what irks me.
- John

#3 User is offline   Grant_G 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2004 - 06:39 PM

Well, the question is how good are the others. We have two printers here, a Canon i860 (simply marvelous, text as good as any laser, and excellent photo quality) and an Epson 820 (probably the Canon's equal for photographs, not QUITE as sharp with text, but then its a year older). The Canon uses five ink cartridges, which I consider an advantage, but it costs about $50 more than the Epson did. I doubt that the 820 is still available however.
G

#4 User is offline   enrigonz 

• PipPip

Posted 18 August 2004 - 07:41 PM

I bought a Brother 3420 All-In-One. Can not complain on speed, it's great at that arena. Photo printing is not it's biggest virtues, but text printing is great. Good luck!

#5 User is offline   albloom 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2004 - 03:43 AM

One thing I've always found with HP printers. They
need more memory. You're lucky all you get is a
slowdown. They used to just print a half page and
go on to the next page to again print no more than
a half page.

#6 User is offline   d00d 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 19 August 2004 - 04:34 AM

I dunno, maybe I'm the only one, but I've never had a problem with my HPs. I used a 932C for many years to great success. My brother uses a 920C I believe with just as much luck. Another one of my friends uses an HP 5550 with no problems on her eMac. I've since moved on to a 5150 (because it came free with my Powerbook, the 932C works perfectly to this day). I've yet to have a problem.

#7 User is offline   SSGoku 

• PipPip

Posted 22 August 2004 - 11:33 AM

I went ahead and bought the Canon i860 (from Best Buy, no extended warranty). I installed the printer today. I printed a test page and a few docs. No problems. Works like a charm.

#8 User is offline   Grant_G 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2004 - 02:35 PM

Glad you like it. I'm so satisfied with mine that I just ordered a Canon scanner that should arrive this coming week. Can't wait to try it: USB 2.0 (my old one is 1.1), 3200x6400 optical res, 48-bit color, and a slide attachment!! Yea! I have a box of slides that date back to the early 1950s through mid-60s that I can't wait to see again.
G

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users