Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Safe to use CD lens cleaner in a Superdrive? - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Safe to use CD lens cleaner in a Superdrive?

#1 User is offline   Christian_Jack 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 September 2004 - 08:27 AM

...?
My superdrive iMac does not seem to be reading all CDs/DVDs i put in it. Yet when i try them on my Power Mac they load fine.
Can i use a CD lens cleaner safely.

#2 User is offline   gra_login1 

• PipPip

Posted 24 September 2004 - 08:14 PM

I assume your CD/DVDs are in good shape, nice mirror like surfaces free from fingerprints & scratches. It is unlikely that your lens within the super drive requires cleaning with a fluid. It is more likely covered with a glob of dust. Try blowing the lens clean. Use a "puffer" as used for cleaning camera lenses. DO NOT TOUCH THE OPTIC. Be very careful if you use a can of air as if held at the wrong angle one can spray a coating of propellent on to the lens. If the you can see the lens and it does have some type of stain this can be removed safely with a non-acetone lens cleaning fluid. I recommend against acetone incase the lens is plastic and some coatings react badly to acetone.
To clean the lens if it has a stain take some lens tissue and fold it such that it can be held in forceps and the width of the folded tissue is less than the lens. Use research grade isopropyl alcohol or pure alcohol--no dissolved impurities to leave a residual stain. Wet the tissue in cleaner say isopropyle alcohol shake off the excess so the tissue is more dampish than wet and wipe the lens once. Throw away the tissue and repeat with less fluid if necessary. Again I doubt if your lens requires cleaning with fluid just dusted
Good luck

#3 User is offline   Christian_Jack 

• PipPip

Posted 24 September 2004 - 11:54 PM

the cd lens cleaner i have is a disc with a brush on it. This would remove dust, but i wanted to check if it is ok to use on a DVD-R burner lens as well.

#4 User is offline   Dan Frakes 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 September 2004 - 12:13 AM

Personally, I'd never use one of those CD "lens cleaner" products with the brush. You only want to physically touch the lens in your optical drive as an utter last resort. Try a compressed air canister -- often the problem is just some dust that can be blown off the lens quite easily.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users