Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sending a Fax via Cell Phone

#1 User is offline   KatieFloyd 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 November 2004 - 04:26 AM

I have a 1Ghz PowerBook G4 running Panther and a LG VX 4500 Cell phone from Verizon. I have been able to successfully connect my cell phone to my computer and use it as a modem to dial into the internet via USB. However, I'd like to be able to use the Fax feature in OSX and be able to send faxes out through my cell phone. I've gone cell phone only and on occasion I do need to send a fax it costs me several bucks at Kinkos.
Any advice? It seems in the Fax system preference it will only let me select either the internal or the bluetooth modem. My phone is USB.
Help!
Katie

#2 User is offline   dcpics 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 November 2004 - 06:04 AM

Using the high-speed (okay, somewhat faster than dial-up speed) on cell phones is different than using the phone as a dial-up service. It goes to a proprietary system on the cell phone networks. You are not just dialing a direct number like your normal ISP.
That said, you can use a cell phone to dial-up your ISP and therefore you SHOULD be able to dial up a fax modem as well. However, software may not let you. You may want to try setting up a location just for your cell phone as a dial up where it is the modem script loaded and all settings are prepped that way.
I use my cell constantly for connecting to the Internet via the cell company's network when away from home but haven't used it as a dial-up for faxes.
You may want to search for Internet services that let you send/receive faxes through the web and go that way. Again, it may cost you a little bit, but not as much as going to a print shop to send faxes.

#3 User is offline   KatieFloyd 

• PipPip

Posted 04 November 2004 - 06:18 AM

Thanks for the reply...
I'm using my cell phone no problem to dial into my ISP without any problem. I have my Cell Phone setup through my OSX network connections and use it just as I would an external USB modem.
The problem is Apple's fax software built into OSX I can't select the USB phone as a modem. My only two options are Bluetooth or Internael Modem. I've tried to add a new modem but I can't figure out how if there's any way to do that through the fax menu. It keeps taking me to the printers setup (since fax is with printers) and wants me to add a new printer.
-Katie

#4 User is offline   doggdamac 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2004 - 04:15 AM

In reply to:

It keeps taking me to the printers setup (since fax is with printers) and wants me to add a new printer.

Katie, you just answered your own question /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Faxes function through the printer mechanism, so go ahead & set up your phone as a new printer, then when you click file >> print for the document you want to fax, the print dialog comes up, click on the fax button, select your phone as the modem to use, and there ya go !

#5 User is offline   KatieFloyd 

• PipPip

Posted 05 November 2004 - 04:22 AM

Thanks for the reply...can you walk me through how to setup my phone through the printer menu? I've been trying without success. The phone isn't recognized in any of the printer setup windows no matter which port I try. However the phone shows up and works with no problem as modem in my Network settings.
Thanks,

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users