• Group: Members

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:20 PM

I am not in USA but what would be your best USD$$ scenario for setting up with:
decent monitor
bluetooth
keyboard
mouse
* reasonable RAM.
Yes, I know I could do it through Apple Store but I am keen to find out what other people's vision is.
A bit of a shame it's not G5...
Also where's the iMac G5 upgrade (with bluetooth keyboard and mouse and extra RAM - at base price rather than $$$ extras)?

#16 User is offline   Rugby 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:47 PM

there are already firms that deliver a way to install iPod batteries yourself and I remember in the "old" days when most (and me) voided the guarantee in order to install RAM on Mac SI, LC, Quadra etc (lifting a HD in order to access etc.)
Also any debate regarding extra things missing:
that is exactly the point! I have extra mice, monitor etc. and other people also already have these things, if I went out to buy this Mac I could start it up immediately (well after installed extra RAM /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)
3rd party developers will have solutions to any missing details (as in the past)
Very cool to bring along and you can buy it with a TV connector so...

#17 User is offline   Dakman2000 

• PipPip

Posted 12 January 2005 - 01:18 AM

WINNER
I have been trying to get my sister to switch for a long time, and this is perfect for her, web surfing, photos and office apps. Perfect for her, toss her nappy Compaq and plug everything in to this...sweet!

#18 User is offline   pcmeissner 

• PipPip

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:13 AM

Loser -- unfortunatly
I think function followed form on this one. Apple was so keen on making the mini MAC mini they neglected to add a second RAM slot. So you're left with 3 configs.
1. 256k (not enough, cripples the performance. iLife's MIN. requirement is 256K.)
2. 512k (O.K. but still a little weak for future software releases)
3. 1 GB (Great but way too expensive for 1 slot. Not a value anymore)
I still can't believe they tried to sell this machine with only 256K installed. Many people won't know any better, and won't install more RAM. They'll get a pokey machine and will have a terrible first impression of Apple.

#19 User is offline   bottomline5 

• PipPip

Posted 12 January 2005 - 07:01 AM

The mini is a winner for sure. I have been looking at used iMacs because I want to add a second OSX computer to my home to replace my 6500. For about the same as it would cost me to buy a used iMac, max out the ram, and buy a copy of Jaguar, I can now buy a brand-new Mac. For a certain market segment, this computer is a great alternative to cheap Dells and the like.
The only downside is RAM availability. The base model should come with 512megs, and it should go up from there. As has been observed by many others, 256megs is not enough for OSX.
Maybe the resale value of used Macs will come down as a result of this product release.

#20 User is offline   CrecenS 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2005 - 07:14 AM

In reply to:

Downsides: no user-installable RAM, and Apple wants $425 to go to a gig! Yikes! No expandability.

Yeah, you'll definitely have to order a MiniMac from a reseller to get any decent RAM at a reasonable price.
For $500, this computer will appeal to all those ppl who only want to spent $500 and end up with a pokey PC, and those ppl who upgrade the $500 PC to usable levels and end up around $1000 anyway.
Its a good computer. If you needed to buy a whole system, and you don't go through Apple, you can get a decent CRT, keyboard and mouse elsewhere and be happy for around $700-800. Of course, you could get an eMac too...

#21 User is offline   d00d 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 12 January 2005 - 07:30 AM

In reply to:

I still can't believe they tried to sell this machine with only 256K installed.

No kidding. Even my old Quadra 660av came with 8MB of RAM. That's 32 times as much! How could you possibly run OS X on so little?

#22 User is offline   Earthling7 

• PipPip

Posted 12 January 2005 - 07:35 AM

In reply to:

No kidding. Even my old Quadra 660av came with 8MB of RAM. That's 32 times as much! How could you possibly run OS X on so little?

Anyways and seriously, 256MB is pokey, too little, meager. Out of date, last year's hottie, not cool.
Althought I think the miniMac (sounds better than Mac Mini) is great and will attract WinPods like [censored] attracts flies, I do believe 512MB would have put that little extra kick in their smack and gotten them addicted in one hit. As it is, "it's cool if a bit slow like I always thought Macs were"...

#23 User is offline   BigFatDuck 

• PipPip

Posted 12 January 2005 - 07:46 AM

i say winner, and i think sales will reflect this. this is an awesome little computer for the price. you get a serious computer (roughly same power as the powerbook i'm typing on, which only has 512mb ram and i have no complaints running any apps... only thing i don't spend much time doing is serious video editing) in an extremely stylish, compact design (more compact than this powerbook, and find me a $500 computer that looks anywhere near as good), at the cheapest retail price any mac has ever been offered. i think it's funny that people expected to get more from a mac this cheap. the ONLY thing i was a little surprised to notice missing was an audio-in. but people, this mac is not for those wanting to get a piece of everything the high end macs offer. if you want to stay inexpensive with a crt display, keyboard/mouse you can step up to the eMac. if you want a nicer flat panel monitor you can step up from there to the iMac. and if you really want to get serious you get one of the 4 configs of powermacs. the lineup of desktop macs is looking really well rounded:
499 mac mini
599 mac mini
799 emac
999 emac
1299 imac
1499 imac
1899 imac
1499 powermac
1999 powermac
2499 powermac
2999 powermac
if you can't find something that fits your needs i have a feeling you're asking for too much.

#24 User is offline   Praxis 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2005 - 08:00 AM

I don't really mind that it's 256 MB (look at Dell's low end system), but they should make the higher end ones like the iMac 512.
I say they should go the Dell route, though. Put 256 in by default, but include a discount on the 512 MB upgrade to encourage people to make that upgrade.

#25 User is offline   Nobody 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:23 AM

They do have a discount for the 512MB upgrade, I think its like 75ish bucks, which isnt actually that bad for a 512 stick of ram

#26 User is offline   kwill 

• PipPip

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:30 AM

I currently use a 1GHz G4 PB and 1GHz G4 Desktop for with Adobe CS, iLife, Office X and many other applications with respectable performance. I have a 23" Cinema Display connected to the Desktop with 64 MB VRAM. Because something faster is out there doesn't mean something slower is not fast enough. The Mac Mini is a good value now, and will become even better (more RAM, WiFi, BT) after Apple has sold its first million.

#27 User is offline   ftaok 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:47 AM

In reply to:

They do have a discount for the 512MB upgrade, I think its like 75ish bucks, which isnt actually that bad for a 512 stick of ram

Well, you have to take into account that when you get the 512 option, they take back the 256. A quick look at Crucial's website showed a ~$50 difference between the 512 and 256 RAM chips. So at $75, the upgrade is a bit steep, but not as bad as Apple usually is on their RAM. The 1GB option is a total rip-off. You could get 1.5GB (1GB+512) for around $425.
I think the main thing here is that the RAM is not user upgradeable. In the next couple of weeks, we should begin to hear whether or not it's difficult to actually do the RAM swap.

#28 User is offline   Praxis 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:25 AM

In reply to:

The news was that the Apple site was so deluged with people looking to order the Mini that the site went down for some people. - Winner!

Apple had to shut down the STORE, but the main site stayed up.
On the other hand, the MacWorld Expo site (running on Windows 2003) died /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users