Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

iLife 05 System Requirements

#1 User is offline   cunninj3 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 January 2005 - 07:50 PM

After watching the Macworld Keynote address, I, like many others, I'm sure, rushed to order iLife 05. Before I did, though, I carefully checked the Apple website for the system requirements. I'm still running 10.2.8 - I know, I'm lazy, I never got around to upgrading... but what I've got works for me...
Anyway, so I read on the website:
System Requirements:
OS 10.2.6 or later, 10.2.8 recommended
Great! So I ordered it. It shipped on time, and I got it last Friday. So I rip open the package and I'm reading the box, and what do I see??
System Requirements:
OS X v 10.3.4 or later
10.3.6 required for HD and RAW
So I'm berating myself for being a damn idiot, not reading all the information, being temporarily insane, yadda yadda... I wrote an entry on my blog detailing the fact that I must be blind and cursing my stupidity - and I get a comment on it today saying that there are others with the same problem. They went to Apple's website saw "10.2.6, or 10.2.8 recommended", ordered iLife, then received it and couldn't use it. One individual even called Apple and the tech denied that was ever listed on the website as such.
OK, if it's just me, then I accept I'm an idiot. But others had the same thing happen!! As of now, the iLife box is sitting useless on my desk. I was just curious if anyone here had a similar problem...
Thanks!
Joanne /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#2 User is offline   cunninj3 

• PipPip

Posted 26 January 2005 - 07:07 AM

FWIW, and I may be missing something here, but even according to Amazon, Yahoo shopping, MacConnection, Small Dog Electronics - the system requirements for iLife 05 are 10.2.6 or later, 10.2.8 recommended. I realize Apple should be the last word on this, but the other vendors got their information somewhere!
As far as I know, iTunes is the only piece of iLife 05 that will run on 10.2.8, and if that's the basis for listing it as minimum system requirements, why would anyone (running 10.2.8) pay for a new version of iLife, when iTunes would be the only thing they could use (and download for free!!!)
I really don't mean to be whining, but I'm a little peeved at the situation.

#3 User is offline   d00d 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 26 January 2005 - 07:25 AM

In reply to:

FWIW, and I may be missing something here, but even according to Amazon, Yahoo shopping, MacConnection, Small Dog Electronics - the system requirements for iLife 05 are 10.2.6 or later, 10.2.8 recommended. I realize Apple should be the last word on this, but the other vendors got their information somewhere!

I'd venture a guess that they didn't update the requirements on those sites since the last version of iLife. I don't know about what Apple's site listed for requirements between the release and now (maybe the Wayback website might help), but it says 10.3.4 now and Maccentral's story on the release also says that (as well as delineating that some features require 10.3.6).
Has Apple rejected the possibility of you returning it?

#4 User is offline   cunninj3 

• PipPip

Posted 26 January 2005 - 07:37 AM

I just found out about the discrepancy last night - I thought it was just me not reading all of the information properly. I haven't had a chance to contact Apple yet. Presently, though, I'm thinking I should just hold on to it, then upgrade to 10.4 when it's released.
It's funny - I did read Maccentral's story on iLife, and when I saw the system requirements listed in the article were different than what I originally saw at Apple, I went back to Apple's website. At that point Apple still said 10.2.6, 10.2.8 - I figured then that Apple's site should be right!!
I guess I'm just disappointed at the whole situation. If it actually did say that on Apple's site, they should own up to the mistake.

#5 User is offline   d00d 

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 January 2005 - 09:00 AM

In reply to:

Presently, though, I'm thinking I should just hold on to it, then upgrade to 10.4 when it's released.

You might have new toy overload! Tiger and iLife '05 to play with. /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
In reply to:

It's funny - I did read Maccentral's story on iLife, and when I saw the system requirements listed in the article were different than what I originally saw at Apple, I went back to Apple's website. At that point Apple still said 10.2.6, 10.2.8 - I figured then that Apple's site should be right!!
I guess I'm just disappointed at the whole situation. If it actually did say that on Apple's site, they should own up to the mistake.

Absolutely. I think confronted with evidence such as an internet archive site showing that they did have that typo should be enough for them to have an easy return policy of iLife '05 for Jag owners.

#6 User is offline   cunninj3 

• PipPip

Posted 26 January 2005 - 10:31 AM

New toy overload is right!!! /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I thought I'd be on overload just playing with all the new iLife features. If I wait for Tiger, I'll have to lock myself in my house for a week to play with all of it!!! LOL
I did visit Wayback - interesting and useful site, I didn't know it existed - unfortunately, it looks like there's a 6-12 month lag time for sites to be archived. The latest Apple entry is July 2004. It's a great idea, though!!
When I get home from work tonight, I may call Apple and at least get it on record. I'm sure they've got a return policy - if they want proof I didn't install it,I'll just haul my imac down to the apple store (while I'm there getting my defective superdrive replaced, of course) and let them verify it for themselves!! /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks for the info!

#7 User is offline   cunninj3 

• PipPip

Posted 26 January 2005 - 07:46 PM

Ok, I'm satisfied in the fact that I'm not crazy /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I was just searching the Apple discussion boards - apparently the Apple Store (as opposed to the regular iLife page) originally listed the system requirements for iLife 05 as the iLife 04 requirements. Third party vendors, though, are still listing the 04 system requirements.
I'll probably just hold on to my copy until I upgrade my OS. I unfortunately didn't get a chance to call Apple tonight, but will probably at least call to voice my disappointment at the whole situation.

#8 User is offline   cunninj3 

• PipPip

Posted 27 January 2005 - 07:35 PM

Just a followup for anyone who's interested - I called Apple today - they're aware of the problem. Seems like for a short time, the iLife 04 system requirements were not updated on the Apple Store page for iLife 05. I just had the misfortune at looking at the page during that time.
They offered to refund my money, so I asked if I could just get a discount on a Panther upgrade, instead. I wasn't trying to get something for nothing, but I'd like to use iLife 05 (once the bugs are worked out, of course), it just seemed dumb to spend $130 for Panther when Tiger will be released soon. I still ended up paying more than I wanted to, but hey, at least I'll be able to use iLife.
So, in case anyone else thinks they're going crazy because what you read may not be what the box says, you're not crazy! /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Apple just made a mistake. I just wish they would have posted a note or news item on their site so I wouldn't have been pulling my hair out for the last couple of days.

#9 User is offline   d00d 

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 January 2005 - 07:43 PM

Good to hear that they resolved it to your satisfaction!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users