Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Can I plug USB-wired mouse into wireless keyboard? - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can I plug USB-wired mouse into wireless keyboard?

#1 User is offline   rsmiller 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 February 2005 - 11:01 PM

Will soon be buying a 20" iMac G5. I wouldn't mind having a wireless keyboard, but I don't want the single button mouse since I like my multibutton, scroll wheel Microsoft mouse (Intellimouse Explorer). If I plug this mouse or for that matter any other scroll wheel mouse (don't mind paying to upgrade) into the USB port on the wireless keyboard, will the mouse work?

#2 User is offline   albloom 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2005 - 04:14 AM

Probably not. The kb's batteries have a hard enough time
just powering the kb itself.
Dunno about other brands for sure, but Leslye's Logitech
keyboard doesn't even have a USB port.

#3 User is offline   d00d 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 27 February 2005 - 09:24 AM

To the best of my knowledge, there is no wireless keyboard that has built-in USB ports. The reason for this is simple. They aren't connected via USB. Wireless peripherals that have a base station that connect via USB to the computer use custom protocols to communicate with the keyboard itself. The problem is even worse with Bluetooth because USB isn't involved in any way.

#4 User is offline   Praxis 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2005 - 09:59 AM

The wireless keyboard isn't connected through the USB bus, therefore there are no USB ports on it.

#5 User is offline   Nobody 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2005 - 10:26 AM

I have always had a Microsoft keyboard on my Mac's and never thought that I would like the minimalist Mac keyboard, mine have never left the Mac box and usually found there way to e-bay quickly. After looking for a good Bluetooth keyboard and not finding one, I decide to try the Mac version, I have not been disappointed, although the keys are closer than the MS keyboard, the gentle slope of the keys upward and their Springiness just seem perfect.
The mouse is a different story, I will not give up my Wireless Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer untill MS makes Mac drivers for their 5 button BT mouse, if that ever happens
If you check techbargains.com you may find a Wireless Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer, I did a while back, I bought 3 at $16.99 each, brand new, shipping included from but.com, and these where the Nightvision model, very cool /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#6 User is offline   moose_n_squirrel 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2005 - 10:55 AM

I'm not sure if it's Bluetooth that's really the problem. It might be possible to put a USB port on a Bluetooth keyboard if there is some kind of tunneling, since there are devices now that let you move USB through Ethernet or wireless through USB, not to mention all the other adapters for combining ADB, USB, serial, etc. that are available, and Bluetooth 2 is faster now.
But they won't even try to solve that problem because it wouldn't matter. The real problem is the power. If Apple put a USB port on there, they would have to have a big sticker on it saying "Don't plug in any USB device that won't survive on what's left of the AA batteries after the keyboard gets its power." Which is most of them. Apple probably doesn't even want to create the possibility that some bozo would plug a USB hard drive or scanner into that AA-battery-powered keyboard.

#7 User is offline   Reboot 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2005 - 11:38 AM

That's a great price. What's the battery life on that MS mouse? The first gen's were kind of poor.

#8 User is offline   d00d 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 27 February 2005 - 02:32 PM

In reply to:

I bought 3 at $16.99 each, brand new, shipping included from but.com, and these where the Nightvision model, very cool

I managed to get the price on one of those down to $12, but it's been "on order" for months. The product page said it was in stock when I ordered. I had to give up and get a Logitech MX1000.

#9 User is offline   Nobody 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2005 - 04:38 PM

Reboot:
About 4 months, but thats with a lot of use, MS claims 6 months.
Derik:
I thought that I might have to wait, but they arrived within 5 days.
Incidentally, thats BUY.com, sorry for the typo.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users