Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Headers and Footers in Safari printing

#1 User is offline   JCheyne 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:31 PM

In Internet Explorer, when you print a page, it gives you the option of adding header and footer information about the page you are printing. (The option is in the Print Dialog, under "Internet Explorer.") I can't find this option in Safari. Is it available? If so, where is it? If not, is there a workaround?
(The header information includes the date and time of printing; the footer info is the URL plus, for example, "Page 1 of 4".)

#2 User is offline   pdrayton 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2005 - 12:23 AM

I don't think you have that option in Safari because you can create a PDF file from the print dialog box. That will print exactly what you see in your browser.

#3 User is offline   JCheyne 

• PipPip

Posted 24 April 2005 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for the response, but I'm not sure how it addresses the question. I'm familiar with the PDF format Apple has utilized in many ways. I use it frequently. I'm looking, though, for a way to put information on a printed page. The information I need is the header and footer information that Internet Explorer puts on a page that it prints. (This is an option in IE in the print dialogue.)
I can't find it as an option in Safari. I was hoping it might be a hidden feature that could be enabled, or perhaps a feature that a plugin could provide.

#4 User is offline   d00d 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 24 April 2005 - 06:01 PM

Supposedly Safari Extender does this.

#5 User is offline   moose_n_squirrel 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2005 - 10:35 PM

In reply to:

I don't think you have that option in Safari because you can create a PDF file from the print dialog box. That will print exactly what you see in your browser.

Yes, but Safari must be modifying the output because the header and footer do not appear in the browser window, therefore it is not actually printing "exactly what you see in your browser." Therefore there could be a way to change it via Safari.

#6 User is offline   JCheyne 

• PipPip

Posted 25 April 2005 - 03:30 PM

Thanks for the reply. I think I have confused the issue by using terms that apparently have specific meanings in browser-speak. The headers and footers that I was speaking about are not part of the page's source, but are things that Internet Explorer adds to its printed page to describe the page that has printed. These options appear in the Print Dialog when printing a page that IE has displayed. In that dialog, they are called "headers" and "footers" because they are printed at the top and bottom of the page.
As it happens, d00d's suggestion of Safari Extender is just what I was looking for. (Thanks!) It creates a contextual menu in Safari that includes the option to "Print Page with Title-URL-Date." And that information is placed at the top of the printed page, hence, a "header" in document-speak.

#7 User is offline   pdrayton 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2005 - 03:57 PM

In reply to:

Thanks for the reply. I think I have confused the issue by using terms that apparently have specific meanings in browser-speak. The headers and footers that I was speaking about are not part of the page's source, but are things that Internet Explorer adds to its printed page to describe the page that has printed. These options appear in the Print Dialog when printing a page that IE has displayed. In that dialog, they are called "headers" and "footers" because they are printed at the top and bottom of the page.

Well... I understood what you were talking about, but didn't pay close attention and notice that you wanted the headers and footers to print. I don't print straight from Safari, so I wasn't aware that in Safari the headers don't show up.
Glad d00d had a fix for you!

#8 User is offline   JCheyne 

• PipPip

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:57 PM

Yea, it seemed that there was a misunderstanding, and I figured I had caused it. But thanks to the forum and your contributions, problem solved.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users