Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: .dll files? Can Mac OS X (10.3.9) open them? - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

.dll files? Can Mac OS X (10.3.9) open them?

#1 User is offline   summersleep 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 August 2005 - 04:44 AM

Hello,
I downloaded some files from a friend's website. They downloaded (I think's it ftp....) using Internet Explorer (but would not download with Safari). They were "UnStuffed" OK, but I could not open any of the .dll files in the folder. I keep getting the "Choose Application" message.
I did a search here (and on the web) for .dll files; it looks like I may need Virtual PC or something similar. Is that correct? Any other ideas how to open these files???
Thanks in advance for your help!
- Patrick
iMac G, 1.8 GHz
1Gig RAM
Mac OS X 10.3.9

#2 User is offline   drmbb 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 August 2005 - 04:51 AM

dll files are Dynamic Link Library files. They are specific to Windows operating systems. Without a Windows OS (which you can run via Virtual PC), they are absolutely meaningless in OS X. They do nothing, cannot do anything, within OS X. They provide services or instructions to Windows binary applications only.
Also note dll files are binary files, compiled for Intel x86 (or compatible cpu's) - so while you can open them in TextWranger or BBEdit or some such editor, unless you "speak" x86 binary, they will be meaningless.
--

#3 User is offline   jdb8167 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 September 2005 - 12:42 PM

Just to followup on this, even on Windows (virtual PC or not) you can't open the files. They are essentially parts of other software programs. To use the .DLL files you need the program that uses them. That program will only run under Windows.

#4 User is offline   summersleep 

• PipPip

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:46 AM

Thanks for your replies! I appreciate it!

#5 User is offline   schliepcorey 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:30 AM

I operate a mental health agency and the new practice software stated that it worked well with both Mac and PC. That was a true statement, but when the clinicians go to sign their notes, etc... they are unable to do so because of the .dll doesn't work with Mac! this is very frustrating. I don't care much for the virtual windows environment such as that in Parallels, slows down the unit too much.
Is there a way to utilize a Mac version of these Dynamic Link Library files??
Thanks for your input.

#6 User is offline   schliepcorey 

• Pip

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

View Postschliepcorey, on 10 March 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

I operate a mental health agency and the new practice software stated that it worked well with both Mac and PC. That was a true statement, but when the clinicians go to sign their notes, etc... they are unable to do so because of the .dll doesn't work with Mac! this is very frustrating. I don't care much for the virtual windows environment such as that in Parallels, slows down the unit too much.
Thanks for your input.

Microsoft stated that only Mac could write in the necessary code to allow us to electronically sign the clinical documentation and that it would be very expensive for us to have them do that. This is very unfortunate. if any tech smart people have thoughts of how to get around this issue, i would great appreciate it.

#7 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:02 AM

View Postschliepcorey, on 10 March 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

Thanks for your input.

Microsoft stated that only Mac could write in the necessary code to allow us to electronically sign the clinical documentation and that it would be very expensive for us to have them do that. This is very unfortunate. if any tech smart people have thoughts of how to get around this issue, i would great appreciate it.

You need to take at least of couple of steps backwards and provide us with more detail about what's happening. It may well be that there's a solution for you other than the utterly unhelpful suggestion that you apparently got from Microsoft to contract Apple to write something for you. What software are you using? What kind of signature are you trying to apply to the notes? What's the format of the notes? Walk us through the process and what/where the problems are.

#8 User is offline   schliepcorey 

• Pip

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

View Postbastion, on 17 March 2013 - 04:02 AM, said:

View Postschliepcorey, on 10 March 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

Thanks for your input.

You need to take at least of couple of steps backwards and provide us with more detail about what's happening. It may well be that there's a solution for you other than the utterly unhelpful suggestion that you apparently got from Microsoft to contract Apple to write something for you. What software are you using? What kind of signature are you trying to apply to the notes? What's the format of the notes? Walk us through the process and what/where the problems are.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hello. thanks for following up with me. The software is Valant Med Practice management software (primarily a Word based system) http://www.valant.com/valant. When you open the web-based system and login, you can start by clicking the patient names on the calendar and a Word template opens and you document the patient's appointment. I am needing to add a digital signature to the end of the clinical documentation. In the PC world there is a Valant add-on that is included in Word that allows you to click that add-on and electronically sign the document. for some reason there is not a Add-On for Word in Mac.
Does this information help any??
Thanks much for your time, talents, and willingness to lend me a hand on this.
Corey

#9 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:32 AM

View Postschliepcorey, on 18 March 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

Hello. thanks for following up with me. The software is Valant Med Practice management software (primarily a Word based system) http://www.valant.com/valant. When you open the web-based system and login, you can start by clicking the patient names on the calendar and a Word template opens and you document the patient's appointment. I am needing to add a digital signature to the end of the clinical documentation. In the PC world there is a Valant add-on that is included in Word that allows you to click that add-on and electronically sign the document. for some reason there is not a Add-On for Word in Mac.
Corey

What's the nature of the signature? Are you just talking about inserting an image of someone's actual signature, or some kind of digital authentication code, or something else?

#10 User is offline   schliepcorey 

• Pip

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

View Postbastion, on 19 March 2013 - 01:32 AM, said:

View Postschliepcorey, on 18 March 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

Corey

What's the nature of the signature? Are you just talking about inserting an image of someone's actual signature, or some kind of digital authentication code, or something else?

I am checking into that further with the software company and i should be able to get back with you in a day or two. thanks

#11 User is offline   schliepcorey 

• Pip

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

For the clinicians, the signature is actually a merge field and add on that will populate with a date/time stamp and your name when you click the sign and close button in the Valant Word Add in.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users