Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

iMac G4 Will not Turn On

#1 User is offline   Jaoquin2002 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:24 AM

I have an iMacG4, 800 Mhz, 1 GB RAM. REV 1 that will not turn on. During Hurricane Katrina, my power went out and stayed out for a week. I got power on this weekend but the iMac will not turn on. I have tried adjusting the cables, moving the machine to other outlets that work, unplugging all peripherals and still can not get it to work. There was not lightning here during the storm so I do not think that there was a power surge. Can anyone provide any suggestions as to how I can get the iMac going again?. It's Apple Care was up during March 2005 so that is not an option.
Thanks for your help.

#2 User is offline   texas_macman 

• PipPip

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:41 PM

Most likely, during the power outage, your internl memory battery died. You need to install a new one. Check this site for battery part numbers and sources. Mac PRAM, NVRAM, CUDA/PMU & Battery Tutorial
http://www.geocities.com/texasmacman/pram.html

Cheers, Tom
Mac Troubleshooting, Maintenance & Tips
http://www.geocities.com/texas
macman/MacTroubleshoot.html

#3 User is offline   dougster 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2005 - 02:45 PM

Hi -Jaoquin,
Try re-setting the PRAM unless you have your iMac up and running. Startup the iMac and hold the Command Option P + R keys, and let go after you hear the Mac chime 3 times. That'll set things back to factory default settings.
Also, it looks like many of the folks are finally getting the help they need. Katrina did some major damage. A couple local schools sent a bunch of money to help out. Not to mention all the other people from around the world. Anyway, you might look into your renter/homeowners insurance for a NEW iMac. My nephew had an electrical surge, and got a whole new computer. Too bad he stayed w/ Dell. Good luck and let us know.

#4 User is offline   nnager 

• PipPip

Posted 09 September 2005 - 07:37 PM

I'm not familiar with iMacs, and whether you have access to the PMU button, but I do know that some people have brought their G4s and other Macs back to life after an outage by pressing the PMU button. I copied and pasted this into my Entourage Notes long ago, so I do not remember the source:
Reset PMU (Power Manager Unit)
In reply to:

1. Shut down and let the computer cool for at least 5 minutes.
2. Disconnect all cables except the power cord. Touch any metal surface on the computer to ground yourself. (Norm note: better yet, ground yourself with a static-discharge bracelet. I bought one for about $5 at the local Radio Shack and connected its aligator clip to the metal frame of my G4)
3. Remove the power cord and open the computer.
4. Press the power button on the front of the Mac (to discharge any residual power in the Power Supply capacitors)
5. Remove the PRAM battery and leave out for at least 10 minutes (a good opportunity to check the battery voltage here).
6. Find the reset button on the motherboard. It is very small and probably unlabeled, and should be the only button there.
5. Press and hold the button for 10 seconds. ]Do this ONLY once.
6. Close the computer, connect all cables, and try to power up.

Respectfully, Norm

#5 User is offline   edtrain 

• Pip

Posted 18 December 2005 - 06:28 PM

I have a desktop PowerMac G4. Last night we had a power outage for about an hour. Then the power came back on. It was plugged into a surge protector powerstrip. Today when I push the power or turn on button it lights up, but nothing happens. What do you advise? Thanks, Ed

#6 User is offline   macnuke 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2005 - 06:46 PM

In reply to:

It was plugged into a surge protector powerstrip.

do the same thing that was recommended for the iMac above.. go for the PMU on your powermac.
sorry, powerstrips are my pet peeve.
if you have a computer, you should be plugged into a UPS (uninterruptible power supply )
people dump thousands of bucks into a computer and rely on a 12 dollar powerstrip to protect the investment.
they won't.. as you have now witnessed.
I have some $10K worth of computers and periphs around the house. UPS on all was less than 600 bucks.. I have the good ones. but even a 60 dollar APC UPS from wally world would have saved your Mac.
pretty cheap insurance in my book.
pardon the rant... but hopefully it will help you and others in the future. /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users