Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: HOW COME THE WHOLE SCREEN DOESN'T FILL OUT? - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HOW COME THE WHOLE SCREEN DOESN'T FILL OUT?

#1 User is offline   confusedmom 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 September 2005 - 05:57 PM

I hope to get this question out to you in a coherent way. I just bought a new iMac G-5 20" Widescreen computer. Problem is, when I'm surfing on the internet, the opened window doesnt fill up the entire screen like regular computer monitors which is what I'm used to. I thought if I bought a 20" screen, I would get 20" of a window that's open. You know what I mean? When I try to pull and drag at the triangle on the bottom right corner of the window, the window stretches and gets distorted, unclear, stretched out letters and pictures. Why is that? I never had a problem with my Dell 17" monitor. Please help. I'm wondering why I even bothered with a 20" screen if the window only takes up 1/2 of the screen size.
thanks

#2 User is offline   MacSis 

• PipPip

Posted 27 September 2005 - 08:20 PM

Go to the little blue apple on the left of your monitor's screen.
Pull down and select System Preferences

Select Displays

Choose something with a larger resolution since you have a larger monitor. I have a 20 in iMac G4 and have mine set to 1280 x 800 which works great.

Are you talking about your browser window not completely filling the monitor? Not all sites can be enlarges eithout the distortion. I have my browser window take up about half of the screen and it seems fine.
Try this and see what happens.

#3 User is offline   happymac 

• PipPip

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:10 PM

I have the same problem (G4 Quicksilver with 15" screen). Seemed to start when I upgraded to 10.4. I just hit the green dot (+) on the top of the menu bar and it gets larger; but, doesn't fill screen all the way as it used to. Preferences are same as before for my system. /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

#4 User is offline   confusedmom 

• Pip

Posted 28 September 2005 - 11:57 AM

I asked around and was told that all the new iMacs are Widescreen computers now and one of the reasons for this is so I can have multiple windows open at the same time. Right now on my Dell, I can only see one page at a time, the rest are minimized. I guess I just have to get used to this new concept. When I bought this, I was only thinking that I wanted a big screen so I can see a bigger page. Oh well, I think I can get used to it.

#5 User is offline   sandbag1 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:06 PM

You should be able to use it either way. 2 pages showing of 1 wider full width page showing. If you can't there's something wrong with either your Mac or your set up.

#6 User is offline   dougster 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:33 AM

-Hi,
In reply to:

I never had a problem with my Dell 17" monitor

Your iMac G5 20" is a fine piece of EQ, but is your Dell display a LCD widescreen with a native resolution of 1680 x 1050? As mentioned, try clicking on the green + button on the window you have open. That might be overkill for maximize/minimize, but worth a try.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users