• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to arrange windows in Mac OS?

#1 User is offline   roywoco 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 October 2005 - 01:32 AM

Hi all
Does anyone know how to arrange some selected windows in a horizontal/vertical way? It's particularly useful when I need to copy/move some files from a folder to another.
Thanks
Roy

#2 User is offline   kms007 

• PipPip

Posted 23 October 2005 - 03:52 AM

Are you referring to the Column View? You can change the view of any window by first opening the window, then going to the Finder -> View. You should see View as Icons, View as List, and View as Columns. You can pick the view which you prefer from here. To set the Column view as default, you can go to Finder -> Preferences. and click the tick box called "Open new windows in Column view".
hope that helps!
-Krishna

#3 User is offline   dmod415 

• PipPip

Posted 23 October 2005 - 06:36 PM

Hi Roy,
Im not exactly sure what you want in the way of information, but Ill share how to do what works for me. First, understand that I came on board with Mac back in 1985 and dont fix things that aint broke; had to be dragged kicking and screaming into OS X after new Macs could no longer boot OS 9. I'm now working with 10.3.9 (Panther), although I do have Tiger (uninstalled...Panther works fine!).
1. Move Dock to left side of screen and shrink to take up no more than 1/3rd of vertical space (it will be in the center).
2. Make a blank folder (mine is titled Work, but it doesnt show).
3. In the Finders View menu for that window select Icon view, then select Show View Options at the bottom. For this window, I use the 20 x 20 icon size and 10 pt. text (bottom) labels (titles).4. Click the upper right window button to kill the window menu (saves space).
5. Move this window to the top left screen border, make it deep enough to touch the top of the Dock and as narrow as physically possible.
In this folder I keep four documents: The first is a short-term Do List. The second is the rest of Things to Do. Third is an ongoing Chrono (chronology) of phone call notes by date. Fourth is a VCR programming list for the upcoming week. I also keep three folders: The first is entitled Formats (containing letter, certified mail return card, postcard and information request documents, and an Envelopes folder containing various templates. The second, entitled Active is self-explanitory. The third is entitled Folders.
6. After positioning icons in the folder window vertically close together, select them as a group to move them as high and to the right in the minimum possible window.
7. It is then possible to move the waste space to the left off screen. This leaves an on-screen window consuming only 1/2 visible screen width.
8. Now open the Folder icon window and do the same with it as you did with the Work folder window (see above). This window will reside between the bottom of the Dock and the bottom of the screen with room for another 7 or 8 icons. It is for folders I work with sufficiently often as to want them easily selectable.
You cannot read the title of these narrow windows, but that does not affect their utility. Arranging selected windows in this way greatly facilitates working with, moving and or copying MY files. Hope you find this approach to be of use.
Regards,
dmod

#4 User is offline   moose_n_squirrel 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2005 - 10:23 PM

Oh man, so complicated!
I think he's referring to how in Windows you can use the Tile or Arrange commands and windows that were inconveniently overlapping are suddenly lined up next to each other conveniently. That is not a standard Mac OS X command, though it's a core function in Windows.
Some Mac apps have Tile and Arrange, but only because those apps do it cross-platform. Tile and Arrange aren't in the Finder. One of the few areas where Windows is actually a little nicer. On the Mac, you'll have to arrange those windows by hand.

#5 User is offline   BigFatDuck 

• PipPip

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:56 AM

why not use expose?

#6 User is offline   durandal343 

• PipPip

Posted 24 October 2005 - 12:38 PM

Expose is the way to go for dragging things between windows. I've tried to get my wife to understand this but she will still resize and manually move all the windows around so she can see them before copying from one to another. Once you get used to dragging and dropping with expose there is no going back. It is helpful, however, to set up a corner as a "show all windows" hot-corner. That way you can activate expose while dragging a file. When I had a mouse button programed to activate expose, whatever I was dragging would be dropped when I clicked the button. I'm not sure if this happens when you push a function key while dragging but for me it's easier to just drag up to a corner to see all the windows.

#7 User is offline   BigFatDuck 

• PipPip

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:36 PM

nope, i never have a problem hitting my mouse button for expose in the middle of dragging a file. expose is the best thing to ever happen to os x.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users