Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Mac OS X Hints Weblog: Create burnable folders anywhere - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mac OS X Hints Weblog: Create burnable folders anywhere

#1 User is offline   Macworld.com 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:30 AM

Use Automator to easily change any folder into a burnable folder. [more]

#2 User is offline   OM_user 

• PipPip

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:57 AM

So, what do we do if this hint doesn't work for us? I followed the directions to the letter, and no dice. Not sure what's up- running 10.4.3.

#3 User is offline   griffman 

• old friend
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:31 AM

OK, I figured out what was happening...
The workflow, as published, works fine when it's made into a Finder plug-in. But it won't work when you click Run within Automator itself. That's because, when it's in the Finder, there's a step one that happens automagically -- the Finder selection is passed to the workflow. When run in Automator itself, this doesn't happen.
I've now modified the workflow to add this first step explicitly (including a new screenshot). The first step is redundant when the workflow is used as a Finder plug-in, but it won't hurt anything, and it makes the testing step work properly.
Sorry about the confusion.
-rob.

#4 User is offline   adamraney 

• Pip

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:19 AM

This would be especially helpful if the Automator action did the following in one workflow:
Convert folder to burnable
Burn folder to CD-R
Convert folder to unburnable
Is there a way to set this workflow up?
EDIT: Nevermind, turns out you can create a workflow the Gets Selected Finder Items > Burn Disc, and whala.

#5 User is offline   OM_user 

• PipPip

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:45 AM

Ah, thanks Rob. That worked. However, when running it, my "testing" folder became "testing.fpbf", with the extension visible in the Finder. I was able to repeat this with several different folders too, so it's not something with my test folder.
It was easy enough to do a Get Info and check on the hide extension checkbox, but I wonder if it's supposed to do that, or if something is screwy with my setup. /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

#6 User is offline   griffman 

• old friend
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:52 AM

Yea, the extension is visible. It might be possible to make it invisible via some tricky shell commands (which I don't know). But since it's going to get turned back into a non-burnable folder again shortly, I never let it bother me /forums/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
-rob.

#7 User is offline   OM_user 

• PipPip

Posted 03 November 2005 - 12:08 PM

Gotcha. It's no big deal, just wanted to be sure something wasn't awry.
Thanks!

#8 User is offline   jdb8167 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2005 - 02:50 PM

Wow cool tip. I have at least 3 or 4 folders hanging around that started out as burn folders that I've been too lazy to copy the contents to a normal folder. Now when I come across them I can get rid of the distracting radiation warning in seconds.

#9 User is offline   nicksay 

• Pip

Posted 07 November 2005 - 04:21 AM

If you'd rather not see the ".fpbf" extension, it is possible to hide it. However, you'll need to have the Developer Tools installed.
So, if you have the Developer Tools installed, you can use the following script in place of the above:
code:
for i in "$@"; do if [ -d "$i" ]; then
i="${i%/}"; f="${i##/}"; p="${i%/}"; e="e"
[[ "$f" = "$p" ]] && p="."
[[ $f == *.fpbf ]] && n="${f%.fpbf}" || { n="$f.fpbf"; e="E"; }
sf="/Developer/Tools/SetFile"
[ -x "$sf" ] && $sf -a $e "$i"
mv -v "$i" "$p/$n"
fi; done

Follow the article's instructions, replacing the script with this new one and then the Finder won't show the ".fpbf" extension on your burn folders.
-- Alex Nicksay (original script author)

#10 User is offline   thosdoran 

• Pip

Posted 15 January 2006 - 12:44 PM

Rob,
I copied the revised script exactly as it was posted. However, it did not work for me. I'm not sure what seems to be the trouble but I did notice that the Shell Script does not give me the bin/bash option that you mention.
[image]http://static.flickr.com/39/8700414650666eef54o.gif+
I have some ideas for making Automator work for me, but as a novice, I think it would be best to have a good beginning.
Thanks,
T Doran

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users