Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: OS X AppleWorks 6.2.9 can't open ClarisWorks files - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OS X AppleWorks 6.2.9 can't open ClarisWorks files

#1 User is offline   Karenlc 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 November 2005 - 09:42 PM

In OS X, AppleWorks 6.2.9 will not open old ClarisWorks files. I have hundreds of ClarisWorks 2.1 to 4.0 word processing or drawing documents, but since the AppleWorks 6.2.9 update, any attempt to open them in AppleWorks 6.2.9 in OS 10.2.8 results in "An I/O error occurred." The only solution seems to be to open the files in OS 9 Classic's version of AppleWorks, which is 6.2.8. Does anyone know of a way to open the ClarisWorks files in the OS X AppleWorks 6.2.9? Why won't Apple fix this bug which has been reported to them at least a year ago?
Karen

#2 User is offline   albloom 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2005 - 04:39 AM

Nothing for it, Karen. Apple isn't real big on maintaining
backward compatibility, especially with the "spawn of satan"
Classic apps.
If you don't care to manually open/save-as in 6.2.8, you
could get MacLink Plus (aout $80 from the usual mail order
suspects), and have it do batch conversions for you.

#3 User is offline   doggdamac 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:28 AM

errr......MacLinkPlus translators are built into A/W, have been for years, and are supposed to open most clarisworks files.....
look in Applications >> Appleworks >> Appleworks Essentials >> Translators >> DataVizCarbon >> Translators

from DataViz website: (http://www.dataviz.c...maclinkplus/mlp
xlators.html)
File Formats (Translations) Supported with MacLinkPlus Deluxe
The following list shows all the files formats MacLinkPlus Deluxe can translate, decode and decompress. All formats listed below can be translated to (write) or from (read) any other format unless otherwise noted. See what attributes are supported during translation.
DOS and Windows Word Processing Formats
Ami Pro 1.2, 2.0, 3.x
AppleWorks 5.0
ClarisWorks 1.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0
DCA-RFT
MS Works for Windows 2.0, 3.0, 4.5, 95
MultiMate 4.0
OfficeWriter 5.0, 6.0
Professional Write 2.0
PDF (Read Only)
RTF
Text
Word (DOS) through v.6
Word for Windows 1.x, 2.0, 6.0, 95, 97, 2000, XP 2002
WordPerfect (DOS) 5.0, 5.1, 6.0
WordPerfect for Windows 6.0 through 12.0
WordPerfect Works for Windows 2.0, 2.1
WordStar 5.0, 6.0, 7.0

Macintosh Word Processing Formats

AppleWorks 5.0
AppleWorks 6.0 (Read Only)
ClarisWorks 1.0, 2.x, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0
FrameMaker MIF 3.0
MacWrite II
MacWrite Pro 1.0, 1.5
MS Works 3.0, 4.0
Nisus Writer 3.0, 4.0
PDF (Read Only)
RTF
Text
Word 4.0, 5.x, 6.0, 98, 2001, X, 2004
WordPerfect 2.x, 3.x
WriteNow 3.0, 4.0 (Read Only)
AppleWorks (Apple II) 2.1, 3.0, GS
DOS and Windows Spreadsheet Formats
AppleWorks 5.0
ClarisWorks 1.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0
Excel 2.x, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 95, 97, 2000, XP 2002
Lotus 1-2-3 WK3, WK4, 97, 98, Milennium 9.5
MS Works for Windows 3.0, 4.0, 4.5, 95
Quattro Pro (DOS) 4.0
Quattro Pro for Windows 1.0, 5.0, 6.0, 7.0, 8.0
Quattro Pro for Windows 9.0 (Read Only)
SYLK (Read Only)

Macintosh Spreadsheet Formats

AppleWorks 5.0
AppleWorks 6.0 (Read Only)
ClarisWorks 1.0, 2.x, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0
Excel 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 98, 2001, X, 2004
MS Works 2.0, 3.0, 4.0
SYLK (Read Only)
AppleWorks (Apple II) 2.1, 3.0
DOS and Windows Graphic Formats
GIF
JPEG/JPEG2000
TIFF
PC Paintbrush.PCX
Windows Bitmap.BMP
EPS PC (convert to EPS Mac only)
Windows Metafile.WMF
WordPerfect.WPG 1.0, 2.0
PNG
Photoshop PSD

Macintosh Graphic Formats
GIF
JPEG/JPEG2000
TIFF
PICT/PICT2
EPS Mac (convert to EPS PC only)
PNG
Photoshop PSD

DOS and Windows Database Formats

ClarisWorks 1.0, 3.x, 4.0
Comma Separated Values (Write only)
dBase (DBF) II, III, IV
FoxBASE/FoxPro
MS Works for Windows 2.0, 3.0, 4.5, 95
Tab Text (Write only)
WordPerfect Works 2.0

Macintosh Database Formats
ClarisWorks 1.0, 2.x, 3.0, 4.0
Comma Separated Values (Write only)
FoxBASE/FoxPro
MS Works 2.0, 3.0, 4.0
Tab Text (Write Only)
AppleWorks (Apple II) 2.1, 3.0
Encoding Formats (MacLinkPlus Deluxe will decode files encoded in the following formats)
BinHex
MIME
uuEncode

Compression Formats (MacLinkPlus Deluxe will decompress files compressed in the following formats)

Compact Pro (.cpt)
Gzip
MacBinary
Stuffit (.sit)
TAR
* Z, ZipEncoding
Perhaps A/W has fallen behind on translation capabilities, as with almost everything else it does/doesnt do.....

#4 User is offline   Karenlc 

• Pip

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:06 AM

The previous poster said,
"MacLinkPlus translators are built into A/W, have been for years, and are supposed to open most clarisworks files.....
look in Applications >> Appleworks >> Appleworks Essentials >> Translators >> DataViz_Carbon >> Translators"
But, unfortunately, ever since the AppleWorks 6.2.9 update, these DataViz translators will not open ClarisWorks files in AppleWorks 6.2.9 in OS X. However, these same ClarisWorks files can be opened in AppleWorks 6.2.8 in OS 9 Classic. It would just be easier if they would open in AppleWorks in OS X like they did before the 6.2.9 update. I even tried to reinstall just the translators from an AppleWorks 6.2.2 installer, but this did not work. So the AppleWorks 6.2.9 update must have changed something else to prevent the opening of ClarisWorks fies in OSX AppleWorks.
Also, for those who buy Apple's latest Macs (which come without Classic), they will not be able to open these ClarisWorks files unless they buy MacLinkPlus.
My question again is, can anyone figure out what Apple did in the AppleWorks 6.2.9 update to prevent the opening of the ClarisWorks files in OS X, and then maybe a solution could be figured out.

Karen

#5 User is offline   doggdamac 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2005 - 06:05 AM

Karen,
Just to confirm the widespread existance of this problem, can you send me a couple of your old clarisworks files ? (to see if my cpoy of A/W will open them or not)
Perhaps Apple changed something in the Carbon Libraries, or failed to include MLP's latest libs. Maybe thier way of telling us that A/W will soon be re-written as an Cocoa/OS X-only app.......
Maybe this is also to help DataViz sell more copies of MLP, since MLP used to be included with old Mac OS's, perhaps apple felt compelled to help out an old friend......

#6 User is offline   Karenlc 

• Pip

Posted 11 November 2005 - 09:51 AM

I can send you some ClarisWorks files, but how do I do that?
According to Apple Support Discussions, this is a known problem/bug in AppleWorks 6.2.9 in OS X. It is probably due to what you said about Apple changing something in Carbon Libraries or that Apple failed to include some MacLinkPlus stuff in AppleWorks 6.2.9.
To open some files, ClarisWorks needed a preferrence file called "XTND Translator List". The AppleWorks 6.2.2 installer indicates that it installs a set of XTND translators for use with AppleWorks 6, but using "Find", I have been unable to locate anything XTND.
It would be nice to able to figure out what is missing in AppleWorks 6.2.9 on OSX, and somehow put it back, but maybe the only solution is either buying MacLinkPlus, or opening each ClarisWorks file in OS 9 and then converting the file to AppleWorks so it can then be opened later in OS X's AppleWorks 6.2.9.
Karen

#7 User is offline   MacSis 

• PipPip

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:58 AM

I'm using Appleworks 6.2.9 on Panther 10.3.9 and have no problems opening older Clarisworks documents.
What I do is first open up Appleworks, tell it to open a certain document. When it does that, select that you want it to open Clarisworks (choose the version of the document) then select the document in the window. It pretty much guides you.
So far, it works for me, but if I just click on the document first, it won't open.

#8 User is offline   Karenlc 

• Pip

Posted 11 November 2005 - 11:37 AM

I tried what you suggested. I opened AppleWorks 6.2.9 in OS 10.2.8, but when I went to File, Open, I did not have any ClarisWorks options in the Format Type or Document Type pop up window of the Open Dialog box. Where are you finding the ClarisWorks file option?
Note: Under the File Menu, in the Save As dialog box, I do have the option of ClarisWorks 4.0 in the "Format Type" pop up window. I just don't have this ClarisWorks option in the "Open" dialog box, the only Format option is AppleWorks.
Karen

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users